Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tome of Beasts Not Working As Expected

This compendium doesn't seem to work properly at all. There is no clear way to access the character sheets necessary. Most times you click on an icon it just brings up the useless full bio, not the sheet where you actually make rolls. In most cases it proves nearly impossible to cleanly and easily access the actually functional sheets in the compendium as you are constantly forced to go back into the compendium to roll, which wastes absurd amounts of time. Nevermind the utterly lazy and unacceptable move by Kobold Press to not make ANY of the tokens with macros. Hopefully my previous issue can be fixed otherwise this item is getting refunded, this kind of poor usage and lack of token macros is utterly unacceptable for a brand demanding 40 collars for a product. It's a real shame that my first experience with a Kobold Press item is so utterly negative.

Edited 1699727247
What character sheet are you using? I have both Tome of Beast I and II.  Using the   D&D for 5E for Roll20   sheet (which ToB's is designed to use) when I drag a creature from the compendium to the VTT, a new NPC sheet is created in the journal and a properly linked icon is created on the map. Clicking on the journal entry opens a proper NPC character sheet.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi James! Also, if you would like Kobold Press to start including Actions on characters, I would suggest contacting them directly. Roll20 uses Token Action Maker to pre-generate token actions in modules. They could do it as well, it's not a proprietary script. Without a script, it would be a very laborious (and not cost-effective) process.
keithcurtis said: Hi James! Also, if you would like Kobold Press to start including Actions on characters, I would suggest contacting them directly. Roll20 uses Token Action Maker to pre-generate token actions in modules. They could do it as well, it's not a proprietary script. Without a script, it would be a very laborious (and not cost-effective) process. I don't feel like that's a terribly valid response. Adding layers of difficulty to your user interface is the sign of poor design. Especially given the fact that we're expected to shell out 40 dollars for a digital product. If Kobold Press is supposedly at the top of the game, they should act like it. Creating layers of challenge to even effectively use their content is a massive oversight. To start is unacceptable it should have been there already. If you're selling a compendium to be used in this way, it should default come with macro'd tokens, just like most of the adventures I've bought. Clearly this is a sub par product that I will summarily be refunding.
Rick A. said: What character sheet are you using? I have both Tome of Beast I and II.  Using the   D&D for 5E for Roll20   sheet (which ToB's is designed to use) when I drag a creature from the compendium to the VTT, a new NPC sheet is created in the journal and a properly linked icon is created on the map. Clicking on the journal entry opens a proper NPC character sheet. I don't want to pull individual monsters I want to be able to pull directly from the compendium. That's an incredibly backwards design to put the onus on me to drag and drop individual monsters and then add them to my campaign, rather than making them readily usable from the compendium page. As it should be. Clearly Kobold is not as up to snuff as I was led to believe. This product will be summarily refunded, a shame I can't leave a negative review. This lacks far too much to be worth my $40

Edited 1700017872
Gauss
Forum Champion
James P. said: I don't want to pull individual monsters I want to be able to pull directly from the compendium. That's an incredibly backwards design to put the onus on me to drag and drop individual monsters and then add them to my campaign, rather than making them readily usable from the compendium page. As it should be. Clearly Kobold is not as up to snuff as I was led to believe. This product will be summarily refunded, a shame I can't leave a negative review. This lacks far too much to be worth my $40 It is standard to drag a monster from the Compendium tab to the table, where it adds the creature to your Journal tab and the token to the table. All of the Compendium monster entries are designed like this. My guess is you are accustomed to Modules where the creatures are already pre-loaded in the Journal tab. Sourcebooks like this are not Modules.  If all the monsters of all the compendium books you purchase were added to your campaign's Journal tab directly it would make your campaign completely unwieldy and probably unusable. There would be too much data.  Conversely, if you were to be able to directly use monsters from the Compendium tab then they couldn't be modified. So there has to be an interim step, one which brings the entries into the campaign's Journal tab. This allows the entry to be modified as desired and minimizes data bloat.