Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Announcing Roll20 Characters!

Will we be getting folders for this? Cus i just makes me sheets each time i made a char in one of my games now. And it's quickly becoming a mess 0_o
Hey Markus, Just wanted to let you know that we released a fix for this last week. Sorry for the late notice. TheMarkus1204 said: BUG! If you hover over the date in this Characters Feature, you only see "Created in Roll20 Characters" which is NOT the case given a) the date the character was ADDED to the character vault and b) that by far not that many character sheets are supported by now! Thread in Bugs Forum:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from</a>
Andrew, Sorry but I am STILL seeing that Bug: Andrew Searles said: Hey Markus, Just wanted to let you know that we released a fix for this last week. Sorry for the late notice. TheMarkus1204 said: BUG! If you hover over the date in this Characters Feature, you only see "Created in Roll20 Characters" which is NOT the case given a) the date the character was ADDED to the character vault and b) that by far not that many character sheets are supported by now! Thread in Bugs Forum:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from</a>
Just want to reiterate that we need to be able to import any character to any game - sheet should not be a limiter. Andrew Searles said: Hey Vince, I think I've reproduced the issue and you're right it is a bug. I think it's related to adding a character sheet that is not the same the sheet that the game is set to use. That was something we added in Roll20 Characters to ensure that things don't break for characters, but for your use case with a Spell template, It makes sense what you're trying to do. And you're also right that the Old Vault use to work this way. We're working on a fix and should have something soon. I'll let you know. Thanks for that report!
AND when IMPORTING a Sheet from an Existing Game to "My Characters" we should have the Option to import it WITHOUT linking it to the game, from which the sheet is taken! I import my characters for SAFE KEEPING and to import them whenever I need to! I have NO interest in linking any of the sheets to any game! (NOT now, not ever!) Majuba said: Just want to reiterate that we need to be able to import any character to any game - sheet should not be a limiter. Andrew Searles said: Hey Vince, I think I've reproduced the issue and you're right it is a bug. I think it's related to adding a character sheet that is not the same the sheet that the game is set to use. That was something we added in Roll20 Characters to ensure that things don't break for characters, but for your use case with a Spell template, It makes sense what you're trying to do. And you're also right that the Old Vault use to work this way. We're working on a fix and should have something soon. I'll let you know. Thanks for that report!
Hey Vince, wanted to follow up here. You should be able to move characters with mismatched sheets to the game in the old vault again. Sorry about that. Let me know if you have any other problems.&nbsp; vÍnce said: Not sure if this is related with Roll20 Characters, but I'm now having issues even using the old vault to copy/move characters.&nbsp; As pointed out in my posts above I cannot move many of my existing vaulted characters into games of my choosing.&nbsp; This seems like an unresolved bug.&nbsp; ;-( As a workaround I have tried using the old vault which I have never had issues with in the past. Until we find that world, the old vault exists just as it always did and we're continuing to maintain its functionality so that you don't HAVE to use the new Roll20 Characters system. Unfortunately, I'm now having issues doing that as well. Perpetual "Please Wait..." when trying to export to a brand new game.

Edited 1709581852
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Andrew.&nbsp; I have successfully moved my templates and macro-mule characters from the Character Vault into a "Macros &amp; Templates" game for safe keeping.&nbsp; I'm hoping that the Characters Vault remains a separate feature from Roll20 Characters or that the Vault's features are fully implemented into Roll20 Characters if/when the Vault becomes deprecated.&nbsp; As I understand it.., Roll20 Characters and the Characters Vault are really quite a bit different in purpose and functionality.&nbsp; IME, I would recommend that anyone that uses the Vault as a repository, should stick with the Character Vault. Do not attempt to use Roll20 Characters similarly. This was the mistake I made.&nbsp; I will only use Roll20 Characters if I want to create a new character outside a game (# of sheets is very limited ATM) and/or sync a character across games. Cheers
Hey Markus, I'm not still seeing it. What are the steps you're using to reproduce the issue? Perhaps I'm missing something? TheMarkus1204 said: Andrew, Sorry but I am STILL seeing that Bug: Andrew Searles said: Hey Markus, Just wanted to let you know that we released a fix for this last week. Sorry for the late notice. TheMarkus1204 said: BUG! If you hover over the date in this Characters Feature, you only see "Created in Roll20 Characters" which is NOT the case given a) the date the character was ADDED to the character vault and b) that by far not that many character sheets are supported by now! Thread in Bugs Forum:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from</a>

Edited 1709625124
Hey Andrew, as stated in another comment above: If you import a NEW character, everything is fine! But the OLD ones that are in there already (and have been in there) still show "created in Roll20 Characters"! (And I am not going to re-import my 70+ Characters because of this!) Andrew Searles said: Hey Markus, I'm not still seeing it. What are the steps you're using to reproduce the issue? Perhaps I'm missing something? TheMarkus1204 said: Andrew, Sorry but I am STILL seeing that Bug: Andrew Searles said: Hey Markus, Just wanted to let you know that we released a fix for this last week. Sorry for the late notice. TheMarkus1204 said: BUG! If you hover over the date in this Characters Feature, you only see "Created in Roll20 Characters" which is NOT the case given a) the date the character was ADDED to the character vault and b) that by far not that many character sheets are supported by now! Thread in Bugs Forum:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11787905/characters-no-longer-showing-the-game-the-character-was-added-from</a>

Edited 1709625031
Also WHY am I seeing 2 Characters when importing a character to "My Characters"? When importing a character to "My Characters" I DON'T WANT TO LINK IT to that game! I want to import it for SAFEKEEPING! Also by doing this it will clog up "My Characters" and you lose track of things really fast! If I import it via the old "Character Vault" everything is fine! So I do HOPE that the option to JUST IMPORT without Linking will be made available again BEFORE Character vault will vanish...

Edited 1709660146
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I brought this up recently in a report. The display is confusing. Sometimes that game name indicates a link, sometimes it indicates a source. It needs an icon or something to make the relationship more clear. What you are seeing in the after section is: The first character is in that game. It has not been touched. It is exactly the same as the 'before import' character. The second is an unlinked copy, which has been placed into Roll20 Characters. If you examine each, you will note that the character in the game is not behaving as if linked. You can change permissions. The character in Roll20 Characters is not linked either. It is sitting in there, waiting to be sent to a game. Which is what I think is the behavior you want? The confusion comes from the fact that the same display (name &gt; game) is used to indicate a link.
Then why is it displayed that way? Why not just import the sheet like it was with the legacy Vault? Why this confusing? keithcurtis said: I brought this up recently in a report. The display is confusing. Sometimes that game name indicates a link, sometimes it indicates a source. It needs an icon or something to make the relationship more clear. What you are seeing in the after section is: The first character is in that game. It has not been touched. It is exactly the same as the 'before import' character. The second is an unlinked copy, which has been placed into Roll20 Characters. If you examine each, you will note that the character in the game is not behaving as if linked. You can change permissions. The character in Roll20 Characters is not linked either. It is sitting in there, waiting to be sent to a game. Which is what I think is the behavior you want? The confusion comes from the fact that the same display (name &gt; game) is used to indicate a link.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It does make sense when you understand what is happening. It just suffers from unclear presentation. Asking "Why?" is not as productive as pointing out the issue and possibly making a suggestion for improvement. It's like asking "why did you leave the oven on?".* It's obviously an error. *This has absolutely nothing to do with my wife asking this question of me yesterday. Nope. Nothing.

Edited 1710319039
SUGGESTION! Instead of the two sections "Before the Import" and "After the Import" why not just import it? OR giving us the Option to import it LINKED to the Game or Unlinked? This would at least solve the confusing display! After selecting "IMPORT" there should be two checkboxes: Import Character and link it to the game; Import unlinked (or maybe just a toggle!) Regarding "After the Import": Why does it show the Sheet again with the name of the game IF IT IS UNLINKED after the import? And why does it show the COPY of that sheet with no game mentioned? For me, it looks like this: You import a character via "My Characters" and during that, the sheet gets LINKED to the game! The COPY of the Sheet (blatantly named "Copy of...") is the unlinked version to remain in this... Assuming this is the case, "My characters" gets clogged up up really quick if you use the same character on multiple tables in different games! And this gets annoying really fast simply because&nbsp; you lose track of things! keithcurtis said: It does make sense when you understand what is happening. It just suffers from unclear presentation. Asking "Why?" is not as productive as pointing out the issue and possibly making a suggestion for improvement. It's like asking "why did you leave the oven on?".* It's obviously an error. *This has absolutely nothing to do with my wife asking this question of me yesterday. Nope. Nothing.
Are there plans in the near future to Add folders? Seems alot of people are asking for this.

Edited 1710310058
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
This is new to me...&nbsp; I'm the game's creator and logged in as the GM.&nbsp; Just trying to set permissions on a sheet/journal. Is this something that happens if someone uses Roll20 Characters to transfer into your game? Thanks
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is known and reported up-thread. I don't know if it will be changed, since there is live syncing going on between sheet in-game and sheet in Roll20 Characters. A workaround is to duplicate the sheet. You can edit permissions on the duplicate. I haven't tested, so test on an unimportant character, but I think you can then delete the in-game sheet and the Roll20 Characters version will just become unlinked.&nbsp;
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Keith.&nbsp; I was able to make a duplicate and remove permissions.&nbsp; Thank you. Ultimately adding the "All Players" permission does include the player that transferred into the game so I suppose you wouldn't have to include/exclude that player under those circumstances.&nbsp; This was done for an open test game that includes 300+ players.&nbsp; In the past I have given "All Players" to every character sheet so that everyone can test with various class builds and situations. With the new Characters tool, I could see the potential for issues when people edit characters in-game and it changes all roll20 instances of the character... ;-(&nbsp; Hopefully people will use the Character Vault and/or make a copy of their character if using Roll20 Characters for use in these types of games.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's good feedback, vÍnce. The Roll20 Characters team needs to know about all the use cases.

Edited 1716118594
Thanks&nbsp;vÍnce, tbh that is why I am still using the Vault instead of "My Characters" (and because of the confusing UI when adding a character that comes with it!). I don't want to copy my character sheets after importing, only to be able to edit permissions there and then ONLY for the risk of that "linked" Sheet being edited and losing the state it was in before importing! --- EDIT: That the GM is NOT ABLE to change permissions on said sheet imported with characters is a NO GO!!! YES, there is the Workaround to Copy the sheet and edit it then, but what's the point?! PLEASE make it so you can IMPORT / EXPORT a Sheet WITHOUT LINKING IT TO THE GAME and WHEN IMPORTING, get rid of that stupid UI (Before / After the Import with Before it is just 1 Sheet, but afterwards 2: One that is LINKED to the game, and a COPY of it! This is clogging up my Characters REALLY QUICK!!!) --- If you just want to import Characters for SAFEKEEPING and WITHOUT linking them, gladly the Vault exists and I do hope, that it will be available next to "My Characters" for as long as its functionality is not implemented in "Characters"...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Since bugs are still being reported , I am posting this to keep the thread open.