Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Translations and DEV

GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The translations wiki page says this: It is especially important that the text stays there while the sheet-i18n code is only on Dev, otherwise your sheet will no longer work on the main site until sheet-i18n makes it to main. But the DEV site has been discontinued. Should this be ignored? It also suggests it takes a while for translations to be populated. How long does that usually take?

Edited 1700554377
Isn't CrowdIn used for translations nowadays? Dev-Server was discontinued a while ago... GiGs said: The translations wiki page says this: It is especially important that the text stays there while the sheet-i18n code is only on Dev, otherwise your sheet will no longer work on the main site until sheet-i18n makes it to main. But the DEV site has been discontinued. Should this be ignored? It also suggests it takes a while for translations to be populated. How long does that usually take?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Not sure what that's in reference to. It can definitely be ignored. Things to note about translations in sheet development: If you are using translations in your sheetworkers via getTranslationByKey, the function's index of translation keys does not update when you upload a new translation file to the sandbox. Make sure to reload your sandbox before testing sheetworkers that depend on translations Other than that, there isn't anything hinky about translations. As far as I know, there isn't any noticeable delay before new translation keys populate to Roll20 from github. There may be a few minutes of delay as it's a manual process that is done after sheet pull requests are processed for the day.
Have a look at this:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Translation#:~:text=CrowdIn,-Main%20page%20for&amp;text=is%20a%20company%20Roll20%20uses,CrowdIn%20account%20%26%20join%20the%20projects" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Translation#:~:text=CrowdIn,-Main%20page%20for&amp;text=is%20a%20company%20Roll20%20uses,CrowdIn%20account%20%26%20join%20the%20projects</a>. CrowdIn is mentioned here specifically for translations... Scott C. said: Not sure what that's in reference to. It can definitely be ignored. Things to note about translations in sheet development: If you are using translations in your sheetworkers via getTranslationByKey, the function's index of translation keys does not update when you upload a new translation file to the sandbox. Make sure to reload your sandbox before testing sheetworkers that depend on translations Other than that, there isn't anything hinky about translations. As far as I know, there isn't any noticeable delay before new translation keys populate to Roll20 from github. There may be a few minutes of delay as it's a manual process that is done after sheet pull requests are processed for the day.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanlks for the update. So that is leftover text from back before this change. I have wondered how long some translations take, since they depend on people's actions (actually translating text).
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
IME, I've seen many languages never get updated.&nbsp; It really depends on the Crowdin volunteers.&nbsp; More popular sheets and languages seem to get translations sooner than others.

Edited 1700581343
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Also, it appears roll20 is still working on some issues on Crowdin. This was the last info posted on Crowdin's roll20 forum discussions
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
vÍnce said: Also, it appears roll20 is still working on some issues on Crowdin. This was the last info posted on Crowdin's roll20 forum discussions Ah, that's definitely out of date. Translations are back up and running, but have moved to a new crowd in project (I'm not sure why).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
vÍnce said: IME, I've seen many languages never get updated.&nbsp; It really depends on the Crowdin volunteers.&nbsp; More popular sheets and languages seem to get translations sooner than others. Yes this is the downside of volunteer translation. Your sheet won't be translated unless someone wants it to be. However, in the worst case, the sheet is simply displayed using the English translation values.

Edited 1700585581
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: vÍnce said: Also, it appears roll20 is still working on some issues on Crowdin. This was the last info posted on Crowdin's roll20 forum discussions Ah, that's definitely out of date. Translations are back up and running, but have moved to a new crowd in project (I'm not sure why). I don't see access to any of roll20's sheets on Crowdin and haven't for a while.&nbsp; I think I was sent an invite to switch over to the "new" system on Crowdin as well.&nbsp; Although translation on sheets have never stopped, it looks like we cannot access sheets on crowdin like we used to for some reason unless I'm just not seeing how to properly access. IDK
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scott C. said: Your sheet won't be translated unless someone wants it to be. However, in the worst case, the sheet is simply displayed using the English translation values. Does this mean it will be displayed in that red text which is hown when&nbsp; atranslation is missing, or will it appear like translated text?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
vÍnce said: Scott C. said: vÍnce said: Also, it appears roll20 is still working on some issues on Crowdin. This was the last info posted on Crowdin's roll20 forum discussions Ah, that's definitely out of date. Translations are back up and running, but have moved to a new crowd in project (I'm not sure why). I don't see access to any of roll20's sheets on Crowdin and haven't for a while.&nbsp; I think I was sent an invite to switch over to the "new" system on Crowdin as well.&nbsp; Although translation on sheets have never stopped, it looks like we cannot access sheets on crowdin like we used to for some reason unless I'm just not seeing how to properly access. IDK I think I remember seeing you say something like this before. What do you mean by accessing sheets on crowdin? Is this something sheet authors need to do?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Crowdin translators (I've assisted with some translations so I have access) login and can see all of roll20 sheets that have translation.json completed.&nbsp; You can see the progress of each language on any given sheet as well as submit translation recommendations.&nbsp; BUT, I no longer see any of that.&nbsp; So I'm not sure what's up.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
vÍnce said: Crowdin translators (I've assisted with some translations so I have access) login and can see all of roll20 sheets that have translation.json completed.&nbsp; You can see the progress of each language on any given sheet as well as submit translation recommendations.&nbsp; BUT, I no longer see any of that.&nbsp; So I'm not sure what's up. The new project is up, the dragonbane sheet for instance is actively translated via crowding.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
So this (if it worked) is a benefit for actual translators , and not something average sheet authors need to concern themselves with?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep! as long as your translation json file is setup correctly, it will just work.