Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pause Player Movement button

Score + 26
I'd love a quick button as GM to temporarily stop my players being able to move around the map. I'm GM for band of chaotic players and when there are roleplay situations or introduction of boss characters, I'd love to simply be able to toggle on and off their ability to move. I've had it several times during a roleplay session I've found some of my player sneakily moving their tokens to prepare for a combat they know is coming.
AFAIK, there is no built-in way to create a macro for this without using a MOD (API script), but that requires a Pro account. With the TokenMod script loaded, you could create this macro to toggle tokenlock for multiple tokens. !token-mod --flip lockMovement
To add onto Rick's this will be applied if multiple token are selected and then the macro button is clicked, just to give an order of operations. If for some strangeness you cannot get the script, then an alternative would be moving your player tokens to the Map Layer prior if you have the opportunity.
I'm adding my vote for this, even though I used the token-mod approach in the past and stopped using it (not for any flaw in the script). I have a rather chaotic group of players, but they weren't trying to cheat, they just don't listen so well (when I said "everyone stop moving" on transition to use of initiative) and/or were "trying out my next move" (which gets really confusing for everyone else). It was really only a couple who were problems. I found that just implementing a lock for one game session annoyed them all so much that the problematic ones actually stopped misbehaving when I stopped using the lock feature in the next session after the others complained, but told them I'd resume it if they all didn't behave.  Peer pressure in action. Educating them about using the ruler to plan moves may have helped as well. The reason it annoyed them was because it requried a delay after I advanced the turn order before they could actually move, due to me having to click a macro to lock the old player and another to unlock the new, and then have the result propagate to them (did I mention they're impatient?). But inattentive players and/or ones trying to gain an advantage (meta-gaming) seem like universals to me, and probably more common in new players than experienced ones.  Having a way to enforce "not your turn, you can't move", seems like a really good basic function for a VTT to have, not something that should be locked behind "Pro" status. If Roll20 does this, it would be very nice to have it as an option on the turn order (if it's not your turn, you're locked), as well as a command in chat (that could be invoked by macro).  Note that you do need a way to allow a player to move outside their turn (5E allows readied movement as a reaction on someone else's turn, for example).  A right-click menu on the token could be useful for that, although a chat-log command you could also invoke by macro would be sufficient.
Locking token movement would also allow a GM to leave the players on a map between sessions or during breaks without the fear that someone would use that time to explore the map.
feature would have my vote as well. So often, i will be reading a room description, looking at some box text, and come back to see a player has moved their token in the mean time.
Brian said: Locking token movement would also allow a GM to leave the players on a map between sessions or during breaks without the fear that someone would use that time to explore the map. Good point