Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why is Characters becoming more convoluted?

Intuitively, I feel like you should be able to copy an existing character sheet in Characters into a game, rather than copying it in place and then moving the copy (or now, even worse, "adding" it) to a game. Copying the sheet into the game is functionally the same way that export worked, and I feel like they're trying to fix something that isn't broken with this. Yes, I love the new UI, the dropdowns have a largets hitbox making them easier to navigate but they could've updated that without updating the actual functionality. Also, why is it now "adding" a sheet to a game, rather than moving it to a game? That might make sense if you could add a single sheet to multiple games, but instead, if i want it in multiple games, I have to have multiple copies of it cluttering up my vault (because they're still visible in the vault for some reason even when they are added to a game, and sure, they tell you which game they've been added to, but they're still *there*). 

Edited 1706167028
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Tara,  I suggest reposting this in the Characters thread so that the Devs can see it.  Additionally, you can still use the Character Vault if that would serve you better.  With that said, Characters is intended to function significantly differently than Character Vault.  Characters is intended to be a "live" version of your character, where you can use it in Characters or in the game equally. Not simply a copy like it was in Character Vault. 
Gauss said: Hi Tara,  I suggest reposting this in the Characters thread so that the Devs can see it.  Additionally, you can still use the Character Vault if that would serve you better.  With that said, Characters is intended to function significantly differently than Character Vault.  Characters is intended to be a "live" version of your character, where you can use it in Characters or in the game equally. Not simply a copy like it was in Character Vault.  hey, thanks for the reply! the Vault page says it's going to be replaced shortly by the Characters page, and I understand where you're coming from by having a "live" version of the character - I wouldn't mind that so much if you could add it to multiple games so you could make a change to a character and it would update across all games, and that way at least the Characters page wouldn't be cluttered (another way to solve it I guess would be to have folders in the Characters page, which would serve to better organize the characters by game). I will put this in the Characters thread as suggested with the new context you provided as soon as I get a chance. thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tara said: "....and I understand where you're coming from..." To clarify, I was only relaying the information, I am not a Dev, I am also a user, like yourself. I do not make these kinds of decisions.
In the Thread for Characters they mentioned that there will be 2 different kinds of characters: those that are linked to a game. If updated in the Characters feature, they get also updated in Game and Vice Versa. those that are in the vault just for Storage / Safe keeping and will NOT change even after being imported to a game / multiple games. The fact you need to copy a character in this should also be obsolete once the implementation is finished if I understood the post correctly. @Gauss, correct me here if I am wrong. THX. Tara said: Gauss said: Hi Tara,  I suggest reposting this in the Characters thread so that the Devs can see it.  Additionally, you can still use the Character Vault if that would serve you better.  With that said, Characters is intended to function significantly differently than Character Vault.  Characters is intended to be a "live" version of your character, where you can use it in Characters or in the game equally. Not simply a copy like it was in Character Vault.  hey, thanks for the reply! the Vault page says it's going to be replaced shortly by the Characters page, and I understand where you're coming from by having a "live" version of the character - I wouldn't mind that so much if you could add it to multiple games so you could make a change to a character and it would update across all games, and that way at least the Characters page wouldn't be cluttered (another way to solve it I guess would be to have folders in the Characters page, which would serve to better organize the characters by game). I will put this in the Characters thread as suggested with the new context you provided as soon as I get a chance. thanks!