Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Somethings going on with my total character slot

So I was trying to replace some level one spells with level two spells and when I checked my spells the things i tried to replace were still there and my total spell slots had gone from my first slot to my second slot even though i still had spells in the level one slot.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Tye! Gonna need a lot more info here. First, which sheet are you using? Different sheets behave differently. Also, are you replacing spells via the charactermancer? Without knowing which class and spells, you might be dealing with a subclass which always has those spells you are trying to delete. Finally, if this is 5e, know the Charactermancer has historically had difficulty keeping up with WotC's rules on spells. You might need to adjust manually, via drag and drop on the character sheet.
I'm sorry but I'm going to need to be excused a bit for I am being forced to watch the SuperBowl
ok so I'm a warlock with a fiend and so I turn third level and first the pact: I chose the tome pact and got three cantrips, shocking grasp, produce flame and Shillelagh and when I was finished Shillelagh wasn't there but I dragged it in from the compendium so that was fixed. also I use the D&D 5eby Roll20. So I have two level one spells, command and hellish rebuke. and I just unlocked level two spells so I take out hellish rebuke and get two level two spells and now my slots total for level one spells say 0 and for my level two spells say 2.
and also I don't know the rules on how to calculate the number of total slots for the levels like is it based on how many spells you have in that level or is there a set amount that increases for each level.
I've also gotten a private game i made and created a character and did the same thing and got the same result

Edited 1707716200
Gauss
Forum Champion
Serious Business Co. said: ok so I'm a warlock with a fiend and so I turn third level and first the pact: I chose the tome pact and got three cantrips, shocking grasp, produce flame and Shillelagh and when I was finished Shillelagh wasn't there but I dragged it in from the compendium so that was fixed. also I use the D&D 5eby Roll20. So I have two level one spells, command and hellish rebuke. and I just unlocked level two spells so I take out hellish rebuke and get two level two spells and now my slots total for level one spells say 0 and for my level two spells say 2. This is correct behavior.  Warlocks only have 1, 2, or 3 spell slots of ALL levels from 1 to 5. Those spell slots migrate up in level as they level.  Level 1 Warlocks: 1 level 1 slot Level 2 Warlocks: 2 level 1 slots Level 3 Warlocks: 2 level 2 slots (zero level 1 slots) Level 5 Warlocks: 2 level 3 slots (zero level 1 or level 2 slots) and so on up until level 5 slots.  When a level 5 Warlock casts a level 1 spell it is always upcast into the level 3 spell slot.  Warlocks have only a couple spell slots, but what they have they get back on a Short Rest while all other spellcasters get theirs back on a Long Rest.
thank you so much that really helps clear things up for me. But does that also mean that my level one spell slot can now only be cast as a level two spell and what if there is no "at higher level" does the spell now just preform the same action?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Correct. Let's say you are 3rd level and have two level 2 slots. If the spell can be upcast, it must be cast at level 2. If it cannot be upcast, it is cast normally, but just consumes a level 2 slot. This is different from all other spell casters. Note that all other spellcasters have the "spell casting" trait, but Warlocks have the "pact magic" trait. They work differently.

Edited 1707761819
Gauss
Forum Champion
Serious Business Co.,  Is your GM using ammo/spell tracking or are you manually deducting your spell slots?
I have to manually deduct the spell slots but not the total if that is what you're asking.
Gauss
Forum Champion
To clarify, some people use a spell tracker that automatically deducts the spell slot when you cast a spell.  Since you are not using one then I don't need to explain how to fix Warlock spells to work with a spell tracker.  Simply do what you are doing, manually deducting your spell slot.  If you are level 3 and cast a level 1 spell, you deduct the level 2 spell slot (as described above). 
Ok thank you so much you guys are great