Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do I do Initiative in non-D20-based Games? (Mistborn)

So, in the Mistborn Adventure Game, initiative is done in two steps. In the first step, everyone declares in order of the character's Wits (from lowest to highest), then after everyone makes dice pools based on what they've declared, the character with the most Dice acts first, and it resolves from highest to lowest. Is there a way to handle this in R20?
Are the dice pools used as a tiebreaker for characters with the same Wits? If so, you could do a decimal based initiative with something like @{Char|Wits}.@{Char|DicePool}. This is similar to how D&D 5e can use a character's Dexterity as the tiebreaker for initiative.
the dice pool is not used as a tie breaker. Tie breakers are just whatever the GM decides gives people an advantage, letting them declare later. For resolving actions, matching dice pools resolve at the same time.

Edited 1708805232
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I would probably have a macro to put them all in by their Wits value, sorted ascending.  Then everyone can make declarations and pools.  Then I'd have all the players change their value to the number of dice in their pool, and re-sort descending. Character Ability for Wits: **@{selected|name}** Rolled in with Wits [[@{selected|wits} &{tracker}]] Character Ability for Pool: **@{selected|name}** Makes a pool of size [[?{Pool Size|1} &{tracker}]] You can create each of those and set them as token actions to make it easy to access them when the character's token is selected.

Edited 1708805039
Is there a macro I as a GM can have that can just do all that with a single click? At least the setup for wits order?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There isn't, unfortunately.  You'd need to select each token and run a command to add them, but it could be pretty fast. With API Access (Pro Subscriber Perk) there are ways to do this in a more automated fashion.

Edited 1708812695
The Aaron said: I would probably have a macro to put them all in by their Wits value, sorted ascending.  Then everyone can make declarations and pools.  Then I'd have all the players change their value to the number of dice in their pool, and re-sort descending. Character Ability for Wits: **@{selected|name}** Rolled in with Wits [[@{selected|wits} &{tracker}]] Character Ability for Pool: **@{selected|name}** Makes a pool of size [[?{Pool Size|1} &{tracker}]] You can create each of those and set them as token actions to make it easy to access them when the character's token is selected. Somehow I didn't get the notification for this message. Thanks for that! That helps a lot! There IS a spot on the sheet for an action dice pool, so maybe I can figure out how to reference it? EDIT: It's apparently action_dice.
It's giving this error. I made sure the name is filled out, but apparently it can't find it? No attribute was found for @{selected|name}
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Looks like the name of the attribute in that sheet is "character_name", so try this: @{selected|character_name} 
David M. said: Looks like the name of the attribute in that sheet is "character_name", so try this: @{selected|character_name}  It works now! Thanks everyone!