Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is this macro possible?

Hello, I've recently created a homebrew weapon that deals an additional roll of the weapon's damage die on a hit if the attack roll exceeds the target's AC by 4, and increases with each higher 4 (so if you rolled a 24 when hitting an AC 10 enemy, you deal 4 additional rolls of the weapon's base die). I don't know much about macros of Roll20, so we've tried to just add it manually and that led to a lot of slow turns for this player. If its' possible, could you help me with a macro that does this?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
whats the damage roll? You are just looking to reroll that damage each time you exceed the hit by 4? This could be tricky if the attack does more than 1 die, but might still be possible. Do you want the damage rolls to be displayed separately, or added as one total? The former is not possibe directly, if the number of possible rolls is unbounded. That said, you can always output a button for the damage roll, and have the roll tell you how many time syou hit. This would be quick and should handle yur situation quickly. What is cauysing the slow down in your situation? (There are a lot of questions here- try to answer them all.)
Hi there, thanks for your response, The damage roll of the weapon (a halberd) is a 1d10, but it doesn't add the wielder's ability modifier to the damage. Later, I was planning to increase it to 2d10 when the player reaches a higher level. By going off my example, an attack roll of 24 against an AC of 10 with this 1d10 weapon would require us to roll a total of 4d10 as the damage instead of 1d10 (8d10 when the base damage is 2d10). It's okay if it is added to the total as the damage that it would deal. The slowdown in our game is caused by the amount of math we do during that player's turn. His turn takes longer because with each of his attacks, we have to make the calculation of how many 4's his attack roll exceeds the target's AC. I don't mind players knowing the AC of the monster, and I've tried to make the AC of the monster they're fighting known at the start of initiative, but it still slows down that player's turn, because we're not checking if it is just a hit or miss, we're checking how much the attack passes the AC of the opponent on the increments of 4. We tried setting up the following sort of buttons for him to press: Normal damage: 1d10 >4 damage: 2d10 >8 damage: 3d10 >12 damage: 4d10 and so on. Thanks again, and I hope we can make this weapon simpler to use!

Edited 1708893806
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here you go:  [[[[{0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32}>[[attack roll - target's AC]]*1]]d10]] Some notes:  Note 1: "Attack Roll - Target's AC" Not knowing which character sheet you are using you will have to substitute the proper attributes here.  For D&D 5e by Roll20 that would be something like:  1d20 +@{pb} +@{strength_mod} -@{target|npc_ac} Note 2:  I don't know how high the attack bonuses go in your game system, so I put it as a range from 0 to 32 in 4 point increments. But it can go higher if you'd like.  Note 3: If running a D&D style game you will have to roll criticals manually.  How it works:  {A,B,C}>target number Each of the values (A, B, or C) are compared to the target number. If they equal or exceed that target number there is a success.  In Roll20 failures = "0" and successes = "1" so we can use that as a multiplier.  2 successes result in 2d10.  Here is the wiki on it.  If you would like a more complete macro please state which character sheet you are using.