Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

how to drag tokens from journal onto map is confusing for new users.

Score + 13
I use the default game template (not sure if it matters) and if a player tries to drag their token onto the map from the journal nothing happens, but if they drag their name onto the map from the journal it drops a token. why?  it's the dumbest thing i have to teach every new roll20 user to do, some of them i teach twice. i think its because in windows most people move files and folders by click draging the icon and the expect roll20 to function the same way are 99% of the worlds operating systems do. so maybe someone should fix that someday. 
ok
Happens to me as well --- not the teaching part, but the doing it wrong part. :)
Took me a good 15-20 minutes of frustratedly searching various iterations of "can't place token" before I finally stumbled across this article and figured out this was my issue. I've played on Roll20 for years but am still new to GMing and had no idea this was the case. Because such a specific requirement isn't clear from the UI, it feels like a frustrating bug rather than an obvious "Oh I was doing this wrong." If technical limitations require it to be this way, it would at least be nice to have a system that recognizes when a user is attempting to do this and give the user a popup message to inform them they need to drag the token by the name of the file/player/token rather than the image itself.
The three lines when hovering over are just for sorting in the journals. This is why nothing else happens when you try to drag it to the VTT for a token... Confusing at first, yes! And there might even be a better way, but if you know what to do, it is not a problem anymore!
True. It's mostly annoying for the few people that can't remember this idiosyncrasy, but for those few there are usually other things that I need to remind them of as well. An improvement would be nice, but probably a low priority. TheMarkus1204 said: ... Confusing at first, yes! And there might even be a better way, but if you know what to do, it is not a problem anymore!