Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lightning Low Light Bug

Low Light -> On, on a token leads to the token blocking vision instead of giving it.  i have 2 light soruces, one source (no low light) gives vision like intended, the other one removes vision ( normal torch 20 feet low and bright light).  Page settings: only dynamic lighting is on Player settings: Has normal and night vision enabled 

Edited 1709483502
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Letrasil! I am unable to reproduce this given these steps. Can you give more detail, along with screenshots, possibly? Also, are you setting your settings through the GUI, or are you using a script? In the screen shot below, the settings are: Torch to left: 20B, 20L Torch on upper right: 20L Torch on lower right: 20B Figure in Middle: normal vision, not emitting light Page: DL on. All other settings off. Moving the character into or out of any of these areas of light does not change any behavior. Same setup, character has 30ft of Night Vision (reduced from 60 for demonstration purposes--the map is not that large) Again, this is what I would expect to see, and moving the token around only has the effect of brightening any dim light within 30 ft.

Edited 1709484972
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Further testing. There does seem to be a bit of a bug here. When toggling dim-only light on and off on the token that has vision, I do see a slight dip in perceived illumination when the dim light is on . This should not be the case. It should actually get slightly brighter. This should be reported in a  Help Center Request . I'll do similar. EDIT: Further further testing. I was testing on a Chromebook in my comfy chair earlier. I went to my desktop Mac to record a video on this for the bug submission, and was unable to reproduce the erroneous behavior. Toggling 10 feet of dim light on the vision character reveals a 10 ft circle of bright light, with Night Vision on, which is expected behavior. May I ask what sort of device and browser you are experiencing this on?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Further note. After refreshing the game on the Chromebook, the little old laptop is now displaying the correct behavior as well.
Here with one torch without LowLight
And here the expected output(Lowl Light off)
I tried with chrome and firefox on windows 11 on a new pc i may have set the token vision using tokenmod but didnt touch the candles
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can you post your page light settings as well? And just because it has to be asked, this is the current lighting system and not the old legacy one, correct? I have very occasionally seen something similar to the bug you describe, but not in a long time, and a refresh was usually all it took to fix it. You could try deleting cash and cookies.
Clearing cache and cookies didnt work
Mh so i tested it with a different map and there it is working as intended maybe clearing the cache fixed the poroblem for new maps or the other map i used was too large and created some bugs
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Possibly so. Like I said, I have encountered the "light creates darkness" bug in the past, but it seems to be getting rarer all the time. Some bugs don't happen often enough to stress over, maybe.
Anyway, Thank you for your help :)