Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character sheet lost after linking token

Last night while playing I noticed that a player's character name wasn't on the initiative tracker. I had a look at their token and noticed that they had control of the token, but it represented none. So I figured I could easily resolve this, and switched the token to represent them. At this exact moment the player let out a cry.... Their character sheet had been corrupted. The main sheet page is nearly blank other than an incoherent stats part. The attributes are still populated, but everything else including their inventory, spells and abilities were lost. Now my best guess is that the token had some kind of blank sheet associated with it, and by linking it to the character that must have overwritten their information. I guess my two points are 1) if this is intended behaviour, it seems to be awful 2) is there any way to get that information back? I tried hitting ctrl z but that didn't help
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi kieran,  Your best bet is to file a bug report with the Devs via the Help Center . They may be able to recover the data on the character sheet.  Also, in the future I suggest having your players make backups via the DM duplicating the character in the game, or via the Character Vault or Roll20 Characters. (Note: for Roll20 Characters so long as the character is not connected to the game it is a backup.) 
Thanks Gauss, the roll 20 team rolled back the game and I was able to copy the old sheet. The bug was still a bit weird, will definitely make some back ups for future!
kieran M. said: Thanks Gauss, the roll 20 team rolled back the game and I was able to copy the old sheet. The bug was still a bit weird, will definitely make some back ups for future! You also have to be aware that if you set up a token BEFORE linking it, that after linking, all information from the token is gone... You need to be careful with that as well...