Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Importing a JSON character data file using an API script. Stumped, help plz and ty.

Okay I was trying the Starfinder importer API I picked up from git, which was written by the team who also made a character generator (Hephaistos).  I'd post a link but r20 official policy would delete my thread so sorry.   I think was able to manually add the script.  At least when I execute said command it responds with the help file syntax.  Here's the problem.  I have no idea how to fetch or grab said "yourcharacter.js" file from my computer desktop to roll20. The script doesn't seem to find it, and I was unable to find a .js file archive (ala Character Tools).  I'm sure it's something very obvious. I mean it is so obvious that every .js importer API script I've read the docs on roll20 doesn't even mention this.   So help would be appreciated.   Thanks!

Edited 1710069003
Tried to find that script and if  you try to use the import javascript from the aetna repository on gitlab, then the json content should be in the chat message. Looking at the code, the chat message should look like !hephaistos --import-character-simple {"your":"json","here":"a","b":"c"}
Martijn S. said: Tried to find that script and if  you try to use the import javascript from the aetna repository on gitlab, then the json content should be in the chat message. Looking at the code, the chat message should look like !hephaistos --import-character-simple {"your":"json","here":"a","b":"c"} If I understand correctly then it's essentially: 1. run the script and have the full text of the character.js file right after?  All contained in the roll20 chatbox?  So an example is if the character is bob.js and the script I am running is hephaistos. Roll20 is running and I'm in the main chat window.  !hephaistos --import-character-simple {"bob":"json","FULL TEXT OF JSON FILE"} In any case thanks for the help.  I'll take another stab at this :)
1. run the script and have the full text of the character.js file right after?  All contained in the roll20 chatbox? That's what i conclude reading the code. But text entered in the chat should probably be: !hephaistos --import-character-simple "FULL TEXT OF JSON FILE"