Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Door improvements (Transparency toggle, Resizing, Trap toggle, Bending door lines)

Score + 12

Edited 1710754282
So this post is primarily to suggest 4 things. The TLDR is the Title. I've ordered these in what I consider to be the most useful/important, to the least. 1. Make a toggle for doors/windows to be seen through, such as for jail cells or glass doors. Simply put, this would allow more customisation and better immersion for maps, and would combine the transparent walls functionality with the door's functionality.  Right now, the only options are to use a transparent wall that gets moved or deleted when the door's opened, or to simply not see through bars or glass doors. 2. Allow resizing of more than just the length of the door/window. Specifically, give us an option to set the door icon's size relative to cell width and provide the ability to choose the thickness of the door/window that's independent of it's length. Currently, door icons are set to a default size of 35 px as my knowledge goes, so on any maps that have a cell width set to 0.75 or less, the door's icon can completely cover up a square/hex, preventing any tokens from moving or being selected should they enter that space for any reason. Also, being able to change the thickness of a door/window (at least whithout shrinking the whole doorway to be smaller than a single cell or making the icon be far bigger than a single cell) is something I'm honestly surprised isn't a thing yet since all other lines in Roll20 game can have their thicknesses changed. This would be especially useful for the large maps that need to use a reduced cell width to prevent lag (ie a 100x100 cell map image set into a map with half cell width so that it fits onto a 50x50 canvas has door icons that are nearly the same size as a cell when spanning more than 1 square.) It's definitely not ideal that the icon for a door is the same size as a cell, and anyone who tries to stop their token in the doorway won't be able to move their token because it's under the door/window icon, which gets annoying and can sometimes break immersion as the GM has to step in and move the doorway for the players to get through. 3. A toggle to show that a door is trapped. There's already locked, secret, and open/closed options, but nothing to show if the door/window is trapped. So why not add one? Especially if we're already adding the transparancy toggle. 4. This one may be more niche, but an option to bend/curve a door/window instead of those restricting solid straight lines. Even if it's at set arc degrees like the cone measuring of 30, 45, and 60. This would primarily be to make doors more flush with those more circular rooms or towers so that the door or window actually meshes better with the wall. Currently, we can only do a single, solid line. So if we wanted something like a rotating door, or a curved double door, we have to make two doors With that all said, that's my suggestion, or suggestions I suppose. I hope at least number 1 gets implemented, as it's perhaps the most useful of the bunch and has been asked for in the past, though within closed topics and over a year ago now.
I up-voted this. I like the idea of see-through doors. I currently use the window icons for barred gates, portcullises, cell doors, etc., but that means I need t explain those features to the players. Also, I like the idea of being able to adjust the lineweight of the doors: I often use the "small" lineweight for walls in order to let the players see the wall texture (wood, stone,etc.). With the doors always set to "regular" thickness, this means that a hidden door will present as a local thickening of the DL line which gives it away, and making the wall with the hidden door thicker makes it different from the rest of the walls which also gives it away. I think that curved doors would be a niche condition, again mostly in the case of a hidden door. In real life it's rare to find a curved door.  I certainly wouldn't mind it.