Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D5E] Macro Help for homebrew class feature

I’ve been fiddling/frankensteining with these pre-made macros based on a homebrew class to get a feature from the class that wasn’t already made as a macro. Here’s a link to the pre-made macros (Phase Rift & Enhancing Surge are the main blueprints in terms of copy/pasting) :  x . Here’s a relevant image of the macro i’m working on:  Heres the homebrew class feature for context:  Effectively just attempting to get dmg2 & dmg3 to show up with similar 0-10 options as dmg1 without the bad formatting it’s displaying in chat.

Edited 1711119655
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Bel,  When posting a macro please supply the text of the macro (copy/paste) and not a screenshot. It is difficult to work with a screenshot as it would require someone to recreate your macro for testing. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There's a link to a page with all the original macro text in the top post.

Edited 1711124884
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yup, but the link does not contain the macro that they are posting above in the screenshot. That macro is a mashup of two of the macros on the page. Having it's text rather than a screenshot would help. The screenshot is also cut off at the bottom, not showing the entire macro. 
Bel said: Effectively just attempting to get dmg2 &amp; dmg3 to show up with similar 0-10 options as dmg1 without the bad formatting it’s displaying in chat. I agree with Gauss; it's too hard to parse through a screenshot, or read through a linked page for a specific block of code. Since you're mentioning a dmg3 field - that's not a valid field for the D&amp;D 5E by Roll20 'atkdmg' roll template.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/D%26D_5E_by_Roll20/Roll_Templates" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/D%26D_5E_by_Roll20/Roll_Templates</a>
Alright folks, here's the full macro:&nbsp; @{wtype} &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{rname=Denial}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg3flag=1}}&nbsp; {{range=30ft}}; {{dmg1=[[[[(1+?{Existential (1+)|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10})]]d4 + @{empowered_psionics_bonus}[INT]]]}} {{dmg1type=Force}} {{dmg2=[[?{Lingering (1+)|0|1|2|3|4|5|6||7|8|9|10} + {{dmg2type=Disruptive Touch}} {{dmg3=1d4+?{Supernatural (1+)|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10}}} {{dmg3type=End Spell Effect}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=Charisma}} {{savedesc=@{psionic_power_save_desc}}} {{savedc=[[[[(@{int_save_dc})]][SAVE]]]}} {{desc=You release a burst of raw psionic nullification at a creature you can see within range, interfering with any supernatural power and inflicting additional damage on specific creatures in your path. ?{Aura of (3)|No,&amp;nbsp;|Yes,&amp;#x00A;**Aura of:** Instead of targeting a creature&amp;comma; the power becomes an effect around you with a radius of 20 feet until the start of your next turn; any creature of your choice that enters or starts its turn in the area of effect must make a saving throw against the power&amp;period;} ?{Firm (2)|No, |Yes,&amp;#x00A;**Firm (2):** The target creature has disadvantage on the saving throw against this ability&amp;period;}&nbsp; @{charname_output} Any alternatives since there's no dmg3 field?
Gauss
Forum Champion
So, first question I have is this, damage 2 and damage 3 don't appear to be actual damage types (such as Force). What kind of damage are they?&nbsp; If they are just more sources of damage you can combine them all into one damage line.&nbsp;
no damage type, just specific effects. &nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Are those effects also the same damage type (Force) as the first damage type?
more conditional. The Lingering + Supernatural modifiers are in the original post. I really only put them in as dmg because I was trying to get that 0-10 point scale to work, as i saw something similar in the enhancing surge code from the link provided.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Perhaps I wasn't explaining myself correctly.&nbsp; In D&amp;D 5e a "conditional" damage bonus that does not have a specific type generally uses the same type as the initial damage type.&nbsp; Ergo, if the primary damage is Force, and those other damage types don't have a specific type, I would think they are also Force, and thus can be combined.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
So the second question, what is "End Spell Effect"? Is that something that happens when the main damage happens? Something that happens when the spell ends?&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Perhaps I don't understand the ability, rereading it.... Let me see if I understand:&nbsp; Damage #1: this is damage dealt to the creature?&nbsp; Damage #2: this is more damage dealt to the creature?&nbsp; Damage #3: this is a third set of damage dealt to the creature?&nbsp; If this is in error please explain what each damage is.&nbsp;
So dmg 1 is the only instance where there is damage. damage 2+3 do no damage.
Can you post the text from the source that describes the attack and it's effects?&nbsp; That would make it much easier to understand what you are trying to accomplish.&nbsp;&nbsp; You could just append whatever is in dmg3 and dmg3type to the end of the description.&nbsp; Also just looking at the macro, it looks like the dmg2 definition should have:&nbsp; 1]]}} after the plus sign and before the dmg2type definition, in addition you are missing the closing brackets }} on the description.

Edited 1711175131
Gauss
Forum Champion
If damage 2 and damage 3 are not doing damage why are you putting them in damage? Instead, put all of the non-damage rolls into the Description.&nbsp; I still don't know what damage 2 and damage 3's function are. It would really help if you described what every element is for rather than us playing 20 questions. :) If they are not damage, are they a tally of the points spent?
I initially posted the description of the feature as an image in the initial post, but here’s the feature: DENIAL Psionic Power Casting Time: 1 action Range: 30 feet Components: S Duration: Instantaneous You release a burst of raw psionic nullification at a creature you can see within range. The creature must make a Charisma saving throw. On failure, it takes 1d4 force damage as its existence is disrupted. If the target is an aberration, celestial, construct, elemental, fey, fiend, undead, or a creature with the ability to cast spells or use psionic powers, it takes an extra 1d4 force damage, and becomes disoriented; until the end of its next turn, it rolls a d4 and subtracts the number rolled from all its attack rolls and ability checks, as well as its Constitution saving throws to maintain concenu auon. creature can choose to lau tie saving throw. You can spend psi points up to your per use limit to add the following modifiers to Denial modifying its functionality (you can add multiple modifiers). The points must be spent when choosing the target of the power. Aura of (3 psi points): Instead of targeting a creature, the power becomes an effect around you with a radius of 20 feet unut the start or your next turn, any creature or your choice that enters or starts its turn in the area of eftect must make al saving throw against the power. Existential (1+ psi points): You deal an additional 1d4 initial and bonus (if applicable) force damage to the target creature on a failed save. Firm (2 psi points): The target creature has disadvantage on the saving throw against this ability. Lingering (1+ psi points): You can apply the effect of Disruptive Touch to an affected creature. Supernatural (1+ psi points): A supernatural effect of or on the creature is ended; if the effect is a magical or psionic power, it is only ended if the psi points spent on this modifier equals or exceeds the spell level or psi points spent on the effect. If the property is an innate property of a creature (either of the target creature, or affecting the target of this power), it is only ended if the psi points exceed the CR (or class levels) of the target creature, and they return at the end of that creature's next turn. The supernatural effect can't be its existence, unless it has less than 10 hit points and it would otherwise qualify. Here’s macros I pulled from in an attempt to frankenstein the macro I made: Phase Rift - &nbsp;@{wtype} &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{rname=Phase Rift}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{range=?{Long (1-3)|0, 10ft|1, **20ft**|2, **30ft**|3, **40ft**}}} {{dmg1=[[[[(1+?{Disruptive (1+)|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10})]]d8 + @{empowered_psionics_bonus}[INT]]]}} {{dmg1type=Force}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=Dexterity}} {{savedesc=@{psionic_power_save_desc}}} {{savedc=[[[[(@{spell_save_dc})]][SAVE]]]}} {{desc=You step through space, making a rift and inflicting damage on any creature in your path. ?{Blurring (1)|No, |Yes,&amp;#x00A;**Blurring (1):** You are heavily obscured until the start of your next turn&amp;period;} ?{Ethereal (2)|No, |Yes,&amp;#x00A;**Ethereal (2):** You can pass through solid objects&amp;comma; buildings&amp;comma; and terrain&amp;period; If you would end inside a space you cannot occupy&amp;comma; the power fails.} }} @{charname_output} Enhancing Surge - &nbsp; @{wtype} &amp;{template:atkdmg} {{rname=Telekinetic Force}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{range=60ft}} {{dmg1=[[[[(1+?{Hammering (1+)|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10})]]d10&nbsp; &nbsp; + @{empowered_psionics_bonus}[INT]]]}} {{dmg1type=Bludgeoning}} {{save=1}} {{saveattr=Strength}} {{savedesc=@{psionic_power_save_desc}}} {{savedc=[[[[(@{spell_save_dc})]][SAVE]]]}} {{desc=?{Zone of (0-3)?|0,Target is|1, All creatures in a **5'** sphere are|2, All creatures in a **10'** sphere are|3, All creatures in a **20'** sphere are} shoved [[5+?{Hurling (1-3)|0|1|2|3}*10]] feet or knocked prone. ?{Crushing (2)|No,&amp;nbsp;|Yes,&amp;#x00A;**Crushing:** The target is restrained until the end of its next turn.}}} @{charname_output} Mechanically all i’m trying to accomplish at this point is to give Existential the additional d4 damage rider, and give Lingering &amp; Supernatural the additional point system (|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10). Hopefully this clarifies things :/

Edited 1711205912
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, there appears to be a disconnect. I was not asking for a repost of the ability, which I read completely the first time, but how you are using them does not appear to coincide with the text you posted which creates a disconnect.&nbsp; I was asking for a statement as to what those are, how you are using them.&nbsp; We are trying to help, but posting the same text over is not going to solve this.&nbsp; Lets try this a different way.&nbsp; Pretend Roll20 does not exist. You are at the kitchen table, you are going to roll this ability.&nbsp; What do you do first?&nbsp; What do you do second?&nbsp; What do you do third?&nbsp; etc.&nbsp; Please don't use descriptions of the abilities, or the text of the ability. Use a description of dice and dice modifiers and a simple name of the ability so we can keep things straight. Then simple statements of what rider effects are.&nbsp; Example: For damage I roll between 1 and 10 d8s, then add 5 (intelligence) For point costs I decide which abilities I will use and how strong to make each of those abilities.&nbsp; For abilityname1, I decide between 1 and 10 points, or 0 if I am not using it.&nbsp; For abilityname2 I also decide between 1 and 10 points, or 0 if I am not using it.&nbsp; Abilityname1 has a rider effect that does.... Abilityname2 has a rider effect that does....
I appreciate everyone’s patience and guidance in the matter. As is clearly evident at this point, this is not my area of expertise. Hoping the example below clears things up :&nbsp; 1.) Use the Denial “Power”. roll a d4 force damage if it fails on a charisma save&nbsp; &nbsp; (2d4 force if it’s creature is limited in the prior posts subtype) 2.) Pick a “modifier” (Aura of, Existential, Firm, Lingering, Supernatural). For “point” costs I decide which abilities I will use and how strong to make each of those abilities.&nbsp; 3.)&nbsp; &nbsp; Aura of: 3 points, or 0 if I am not using it. 20 ft. radius until start of your turn . Cha saving throw on entrance&nbsp; 4.) Existential:&nbsp; &nbsp; I decide between 1 and 10 points, or 0 if I am not using it.&nbsp;extra d4 force damage per point spent&nbsp; &nbsp; (extra 2d4 force if it’s creature is limited in the prior posts subtype) 5.) Firm: 2 points, or 0 if I am not using it. Target has disadvantage in its saving throw against the power. 6.) Lingering:&nbsp; &nbsp; I decide between 1 and 10 points, or 0 if I am not using it. Targets Spellcasting ability vs. mine. Cancels targets spell before cast depending if points spent match spell slot level, and the target fails their saving throw.&nbsp; 7.) Supernatural: I decide between 1 and 10 points, or 0 if I am not using it. Cancels spell effects on target depending if points spent match spell slot level.&nbsp; &nbsp; Can end innate creature properties if points spent match CR level. kills creature if &nbsp;the innate creature property is tied to their life, the creature has less than 10 hp, and the points spent match the CR level.