Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 badly needs a way of indicating elevation

Score + 20
Many of us play a game with the titular foe being a flying creature. Yet on Roll20, there does not appear to be a user friendly way of indicating elevation that’s visible for all. It seems like this would be trivial to implement, yet Roll20 lags behind its chief competitor in lacking this feature. All the recent updates are cool and “fancy,” but something so simple yet so enriching for tactical map based combat is still absent. 
My GM uses a purchased status marker kit which has an assortment of fluffy wings with numbers in them.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
For example, <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/26901/height-and-depth-mega-pack" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/26901/height-and-depth-mega-pack</a>
I likewise use numeric status markers to indicate elevation, though it's a bit cumbersome, especially with two-digit numbers. Bill (Do Not Kill) said: My GM uses a purchased status marker kit which has an assortment of fluffy wings with numbers in them. I'll have to look into that!
I generally use one of the three status bars, usually the blue one, to indicate a z-axis.
Mr. Farlops said: I generally use one of the three status bars, usually the blue one, to indicate a z-axis. but that's not visible to players, is it? Is there a way to make it visible. I'd be reluctant since then the HP and AC status bars would be visible.&nbsp;

Edited 1713128952
D G.
Pro
SashaAndHisRussianSelf said: but that's not visible to players, is it? Is there a way to make it visible. I'd be reluctant since then the HP and AC status bars would be visible.&nbsp; You can set Bars 1, 2, or 3 individually to be Visible to all or Visible with the numbers showing. Just have the max at zero and the min to whatever you want the altitude to be. In the token settings, there should be a three button circle, howevr over it and click the 'See' checkbox then use the drop down drop down menu "Hidden" "Visible to Editor" "Visible to Everyone" though I find I have to click then use my arrow keys to select the correct one.&nbsp; That being said given my players tend to use all the bars for there own resource tracking, a separate way to track would be nice.
I use one of the status marker colored balloons and set number on it present height in tens of feets.
I know there are markers on the market that help with the situation, but it would also be great to have options integrated into the platform that can be used freely.&nbsp; With the latest changes that have been made in roll20, I hope that this request is heard.
Rex said: I know there are markers on the market that help with the situation, but it would also be great to have options integrated into the platform that can be used freely.&nbsp; With the latest changes that have been made in roll20, I hope that this request is heard. Totally agree! I have poked around at other VTTs out there, and having a dedicated elevation tied to tokens that works with dynamic lighting for cliffs and buildings and flying creatures is something I desperately want in Roll20, especially as they work to modernize the platform.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Issue with the simple number on tokens (be it with markers or bars), is that it is not counted in the distance measures.
I don't know if automating that is even possible with the way Roll20's VTT works, since it's a 2D environment. When I have PCs that can fly, I use a macro that asks for the horizontal and vertical distances then calculates the hypotenuse: /roll round((?{Horizontal distance|0}**2 + ?{Vertical Distance|0}**2)**0.5) Laurent said: Issue with the simple number on tokens (be it with markers or bars), is that it is not counted in the distance measures.