Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Certain rolls coming out way too high

Hi everyone! In our game just now, when I rolled certain things the results came out as 20+ more than they should be; so not just high, but actually impossible with my stats.  I've checked the underlying settings and can't see anything that is obviously wrong. I'll be very grateful if someone can tell me how to fix it!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Liz E., Please supply a screenshot of the rest of your character sheet.  Also, what happens when you make rolls inside the game? 
The issue happened when I was making rolls inside the game; i recreated it with the sheet later so I could screenshot it.&nbsp; My character sheet is here:&nbsp;<a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-3k5V1G8XuxU3hTXma0A249EXZR6uIx/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/10-3k5V1G8XuxU3hTXma0A249EXZR6uIx/view?usp=sharing</a>
Gauss
Forum Champion
Perhaps there was a miscommunication. I need a screenshot of your character from Roll20 so I can see what might be going on with it. Your original screenshot was only part of the character sheet.&nbsp;
that PDF is the print from Roll20, i thought it would be the same and it was easier. I'll do the screenshots and share shortly.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Liz E. said: that PDF is the print from Roll20, i thought it would be the same and it was easier. I'll do the screenshots and share shortly. Afraid not, it is the print version, whereas I need to see what might be going on with the Roll20 version.&nbsp; Also, which browser are you using? Have you tried using an Incognito (Chrome) or Private (Firefox) tab?&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yeah, not seeing anything there that might cause it.&nbsp; So next stop: Incognito or Private tab, please try one of those.&nbsp;
OK the plot thickens. I tried again in game and rolled normally, I thought I did have the problem there originally but maybe not - regardless, upon testing just now it was fine clicking on the pop up from the game in both in a regular Chrome tab and incognito tab. However, when I try rolling off the character sheet that i get to from Characters under the Tools menu, I get the 30/40 rolls, and that was both in regular and incognito tabs.
Gauss
Forum Champion
What version of Chrome are you using?
Version 123.0.6312.86 (Official Build) (arm64)

Edited 1711691876
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am also running that version and I was not able to replicate the problem in Roll20 Characters. If it was still happening in a game I'd ask to be invited to the game to examine the character, but since it is not that won't be of much use.&nbsp; At this point I suggest filing a bug report with the Devs via the Help Center &nbsp;as the bug report forum is primarily for users helping users.&nbsp; Perhaps they will be able to examine the character and see what is going on.&nbsp; Please let me know what they come up with, I'd be interested to find out what was going on.&nbsp;
This happened to one of my players, but only for his weapon attack.&nbsp; If you highlighted the roll, it added 20 for his proficiency bonus instead of 2.&nbsp; Deleting the weapon (morning star), and re-adding it from the compendium fixed it for me. Before I took that step, I checked his pb value and was only 2, and all other rolls were rolling 2 not 20, except the morning star.&nbsp; When I checked the morning star, it was coded right (1d20+str mod+pb) , so not sure why it was doing a 20 pb. Not sure if same issue you have, but if just one thing, try re-add, and then remove the old one.
I am experiencing the same issue.
Hey folks, Just wanted to give the heads up that this is an issue we are aware of and are investigating currently. We've been able to verify reports with characters that are already affected. However, we have not yet been able to reproduce from scratch to get this to start happening. If anyone has minimum required steps that have worked for them in causing this issue, please feel free to send it to us at Roll20.net/help so we can get that through testing. Sorry for the trouble on this in the meantime!
Heyo, so I'm having the same issue and I kind of figured out something. Firstly I want to point out that the issue, for me, only happens in character mode, not in the VTT. I noticed that when I roll most modifiers what happens is that the game rolls the d20 and then add 10 * modifier, which prompted me to check the macro, which is&nbsp;&nbsp; @{wtype}&amp;{template:simple} {{rname=^{constitution-u}}} {{mod=@{constitution_mod}@{jack_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+@{constitution_mod}@{jack_attr}[CON]]]}} @{rtype}+@{constitution_mod}@{jack_attr}[CON]]]}} @{charname_output}. Now what seems to be happening is that jack_attr is, for some reason, not set to 1 but to 10. Admittedly, I don't even know what jack_attr is, nor where to find it, since if I try and edit the hidden inputs stuch as attr_jack_attrs (which by default has no se tvalue) to 1, you'd think it would now solve it, yet nothing happens. Hopefully this can help understand what's happening.
I made a new character outside of a campaign, and immediately after making them I rolled a con save, which came out normal (first screenshot.) Second is just the character sheet settings page. Third is the con save I rolled after hard refreshing the page - back to multiplying by ten.
Known issue with Roll20 Characters. Try creating the game in a normal campaign. It should work fine!
I also had this issue: it seems to happen more often when you roll using your character sheet via the characters page (i.e. not during a game). It's 10x-ing the proficiency bonus. I managed to fix it whenever it happens by unselecting proficiency in the effected abilities/rolls, rolling, and then re checking it and testing if that worked.
Hey Corben, Corben J. said: it seems to happen more often when you roll using your character sheet via the characters page (i.e. not during a game). It's 10x-ing the proficiency bonus. I managed to fix it whenever it happens by unselecting proficiency in the effected abilities/rolls, rolling, and then re checking it and testing if that worked. That's interesting. Thank you for that workaround. I'm really sorry that you have to do that to make it work again. We're working right now to get to the bottom of this problem. We've seen this as a major problem that is only growing in scope. Thank you all for bringing it to our attention. I'll let you know when we have a fix for it. Thanks again.
I think I've been running into the same issue as well. My initiative and ability check rolls come out with ten times the modifier they're supposed to when I use the buttons in the Characters page sheet, but are fine when I use the in-game sheet. My skill rolls also come out a little weird if you hover over them, but the actual results for those are fine. It looks to me like a zero is getting added to part of the roll, rather than it actually being multiplied by ten. The zero turns my +1[INIT] for initiative into +1 0 [INIT] and &nbsp;my +3[WIS] for wisdom into +3 0 [WIS] , but for skill checks it's added in a place that doesn't seem to affect rolls, so my +1[dexterity] for Acrobatics is&nbsp; +1[dexterity] 0 &nbsp;which rolls the same as normal. Made a little table out of screenshots to hopefully show the rolls clearer.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Nice find, Tyler L!&nbsp;
Thank you for that Table of Screenshots Tyler. That's helpful. We have identified the problem and we're testing the fix now. We pushed out some changes that we hope will stop this from happening on new characters, but characters that are already affected still seem to be broken. We're continuing to work on this. Thank you all for your patience and help in getting this one fixed.
Hey Folks, This should be fixed for everyone but please confirm and report back. If you have a character that is still seeing the problem, try recreating the character and seeing if you still have the problem. Regardless let me know how it goes. Thanks again for your feedback and vigilance.
Everything seems to be working for me now. I don't see any extra zeros on any of my rolls and all the results look normal. Thank you!
I had this issue, as can be seen above, i went to find teh chracter again due to game day today, and the character is just, gone.
Hey Dhycee, I'm really sorry about that. That should not happen and we might be able to help. If you can write into support so you can give them specific information about the character and your user account, we can look into it for you. Dhycee said: I had this issue, as can be seen above, i went to find teh chracter again due to game day today, and the character is just, gone.