Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using macros and dice rolls to create random names for attacks?

I'm trying create a character that wants to basically shout different moves names, but also change it up. Basically roll a d20, 1 spits out "Super Fireball", 2 is "Fiery Blast", 3 is "Explosive Orb", ect. and then roll like 5d6 damage. Possibly roll 2d20 if possible and have 1 spit out the first part of the name and the second one spit out the second half of the name. I see that there is Conditional Statements (Math Only) , but I can't make heads or tails of that mess, and that seems to only work for two outputs.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Easiest, non-script way is to have rollable tables. You could have one for AttackDescriptors and one for AttackNames. In AttackDescriptors you could put entries like: Fiery Explosive Spicy Meaty Scrumtrulescent And in the AttackNames table you would have entries like: Orb Blast Revenge Chaos Pudding Then you could do: /em shouts, "[[ 1t[AttackDescriptors]]] [[ 1t[AttackNames] ]]" and attacks for [[5d6]] damage. That way you could always enter more possibilities in each table without having to change the die you roll. If you had 20 to start, but then came up with another 8 descriptors and another 4 names, your macro would still work. If you want to have a little more control over the output, you can use the MetaScript Toolbox (from the one-click). Options here would include simply removing the inline-roll look, so that the text was better formatted: ! /em shouts, "[[ 1t[AttackDescriptors]]].value [[ 1t[AttackNames] ]].value" and attacks for [[5d6]] damage. {&amp;simple} Another option would be using Muler and ZeroFrame if you wanted to include an animated GIF in the output. For this, I'd setup an ability on a character to associate the attack name with the specified image. I put such a mule ability on a character called "PublicTables". It's formatted like this: Orb=[ ](<a href="https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOGY4dmdwYWM4cXU5cG95aWxvbnhuMXJ6cmF2bm01MWN6NXAyajB6ZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/wEeUz0u91oLKO6LRfu/giphy.gif" rel="nofollow">https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOGY4dmdwYWM4cXU5cG95aWxvbnhuMXJ6cmF2bm01MWN6NXAyajB6ZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/wEeUz0u91oLKO6LRfu/giphy.gif</a>) Fireball=[ ]( ...url to fireball gif...) For each attack name that appears in your AttackName rollable table, I've made an entry that ties that name to an animated gif. This lets me do a command like this: !{{ {&amp;global ([AttackNameVar][[1t[AttackName]]].value)} &nbsp; /em shouts, "[[ 1t[AttackDescriptor]]].value AttackNameVar" and attacks for [[5d6]] damage! &nbsp; get.PublicTables.AttackNameImages.AttackNameVar/get }} And get an output like this: That can be even cleaner if you wanted just a static image (not animated) for each attack. Then you could use it as the image for the attack entry in the AttackName rollable table, and retrieve it with Fetch. I can show an example of that, if you like.
I don't see the option to add anything to the rollable tables. I'm guessing this is something I have to get with the GM on to add. I see it and have it working in my campaign, but this is for a character that I'm not the GM. Thanks for the help.