Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Effects appearing behind tokens - issue identified

... and the fix may get pushed into Jumpgate.  We'll see. The issue stems from a fix they put in a while back to resolve the problem of objects on the token layer overlaying each other preventing controllers from access tokens buried beneath other tokens.  This was a great fix, because as a player I'm totally over "dude, move your dude off my dude".  So by floating tokens that had a controller to the very top of the token layer for that individual, they guaranteed that person's access to their token(s). The problem with effects only arises if Dynamic Lighting is turned on (which is kind of odd) and only for tokens that have a controller.  This gives us a few workarounds: Don't use Dynamic Lighting.  I didn't say it was a good option, and it's not one I like, but it's an option. Don't use effects.  Not as terrible as not using DL, but still not awesome. Only assign controllers to player tokens.  By far the least negative workaround.  My OCD hates it because it wants all tokens to have an explicit controller (which is what caused the issue to appear in my games in the first place).  The GM has implicit access to all objects so explicit control is not needed. Props to Miles for picking up my ticket and providing me with a detailed explanation of what they discovered while investigating.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks for sharing the explanation, Beowulf! The only caveat I would place upon number 3 is that adding explicit GM control to a token can prevent the issue of "transparent" tokens when using Explorer mode. In  Explorer mode, the farther a token is from a light or vision source, the more the grayed out background takes over, making tokens seem transparent. This is fine for a single PC view, but it can cause the GM to see tokens in dim areas as translucent. Assigning explicit control can make these tokens opaque again. It's a trade-off.
Yeah, I noticed that when I removed explicit control.  <shrugs> I gotta lean toward player experience in this case.