Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Apply Default Settings Issue

So I created a brand new game from one of the marketplace D&D modules. And I'm trying to auto setup all the tokens already on the maps to how I like them and did the following steps, am I missing something? Basically the health should be in the red bar below the tokens and the ac should be in the green circle above the token.

Edited 1713883580
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi DM Deadman,  Please read the fine print under the "Bar 1 Value" "Bar 1 Max" etc in the first image.  They do not apply to existing tokens, they apply to Compendium entries when the compendium entry is dragged into the game. Basically, telling the Compendium how to create tokens for your game.  If you are trying to change the bar colors you can do that in the My Settings tab's "Token Status Bar Colors" (your second screenshot).  If you are trying to change the token's bar position that will require a LOT of work on your part, or a Mod (API Script).

Edited 1713884093
Bars will display on a token if there is both a 'current' and 'max' value for that bar.  It doesn't matter if the bar is linked to an attribute or not.  It looks like you've done the right thing for applying the default game settings to tokens. (Many people miss the in-game step and assuming changing the default settings outside the game is enough.) When applying the default settings to tokens, there are two important things to ensure: 1. Waiting long enough for the game to actually apply the default settings to all tokens 2. Make sure that you have the 'Layer Selection' selected to get all tokens that you want, which are typically on the Objects & Tokens and GM Overlay layers. Lastly, it looks like you put 'n/a' in several of the fields for default settings.  You want to remove that and leave the field blank, or possible change it to 'None'.

Edited 1713885848
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jarren,  Those bars won't work like DM Deadman is expecting. They do not control where those fields are in the bars for existing tokens. They only control how Compendium entries are set up when being pulled into the game. 
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
If, after all of the configurations mentioned above, you still need to operate over existing tokens, you can do that with the MetaScriptToolbox and TokenMod. !forselected(^) token-mod --set| ...token-mod commands here... {&select *} You would use that caret character as a way to break up metascript constructions that you wouldn't want to resolve until you're in each iteration (for each  individual token). For instance, if you needed the value of the HP attribute from the associated sheet for the iterated token, that might be: @^(selected.hp) If you need the ID of that attribute (to create the link), you would instead use: @^(selected.hp.id) Something to consider with this approach is that this construction: {&select *} ...will select every token and run the TokenMod command you supply, however some tokens might need slightly different treatment. Some might be mooks (who need the value of an attribute applied to their bar), while others might be direct embodiments of the character (and need the ID of the associated attribute in a given bar). To accomodate that you could provide criteria to the selection statement (to only select certain tokens) and provide the correct TokenMod command for that batch of tokens... or you could conditionalize the TokenMod command (using APILogic). The best approach would depend on how many different types of token configurations you need to apply.
Gauss said: Jarren,  Those bars won't work like DM Deadman is expecting. They do not control where those fields are in the bars for existing tokens. They only control how Compendium entries are set up when being pulled into the game.  I just tried it out on a Test Game and you are correct, but I am still confused. What is the point of the 'Apply Default Settings' button then?  I thought that was supposed to apply the default settings to tokens in the game?  WARNING: Default Settings will be applied to all characters, pages, and tokens in the game . Default attributes will be overwritten with the game's default settings. This action cannot be undone.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jarren said: Gauss said: Jarren,  Those bars won't work like DM Deadman is expecting. They do not control where those fields are in the bars for existing tokens. They only control how Compendium entries are set up when being pulled into the game.  I just tried it out on a Test Game and you are correct, but I am still confused. What is the point of the 'Apply Default Settings' button then?  I thought that was supposed to apply the default settings to tokens in the game?  WARNING: Default Settings will be applied to all characters, pages, and tokens in the game . Default attributes will be overwritten with the game's default settings. This action cannot be undone. TBH, not entirely sure. But the description of the bars in the Campaign Details page corresponds to my experience in that it only applies to tokens created when importing a compendium entry into your game (such as dragging it from Compendium to table).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The difference is in where the settings are being sent. Character sheets are files in your game and can be easily written to. A default token already saved to a sheet is basically a JSON file that is associated with the sheet. Applying defaults can write to sheets, but they cannot get inside of those JSON files. Thus, most token settings are not touched by Apply Default Settings. This is actually desirable behavior. Tokens are set up differently for different purposes. An NPC's token bars will be linked to different attributes from a PC's token bars. A note token will be setup up differently still. A named NPC may link to the npc_HP attribute, while a generic goblin may only have the value itself, but unlinked, so that changing the value on one does not change them all. A GM may allow some players to have a field linked to a resource specific to them. Having a function that overwrites all of those cases could be very detrimental to a game. So in general, the default token settings are only used for Compendium drops, which are far more likely to be uniform across a campaign.