Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Black Screen if you use the "Player Button in Menu"

Edited 1714141260
Willy
Plus
I got me the fancy membership and wanted to test the lightning feature out, because this weekend i send my players into the shadowrealm (evil gm laughter) to experience some lovecratian horror. The Shortcut with CTRL+L to preview what players see works fine but if i use the Menu Butto "Player Mode" in the settings i only get a black screen despite having an player character of my own with the settings to see light activated and himself radiate light within 10 foot. Maybe i am doing something wrong?
Ctrl-L does not give a player's view.  It gives the GM the token's Line of Sight, which is different because: 1. The GM will see everything on the GM layer through a token's vision. 2. A player may control more than one token with vision and will see something different than what the GM sees from a single token. I strongly suggest using a Dummy Account  to check any lighting or vision settings. Here's my token vision & lighting troubleshooting list: Troubleshooting General: ⁠The game creator needs to have a Roll20 Plus or Pro account to use Dynamic Lighting. ⁠Make sure you are using Chrome or Firefox. ⁠Make sure you are set to only use either Updated Dynamic Lighting or Legacy Dynamic Lighting, not both. ⁠Do not use the Freehand tool to draw Dynamic Lighting lines. Only use the Polygon tool, and make sure that you don't have any lines that create 'sharp' corners. This is the cause of unexplained/invisible lines about 99% of the time. ⁠You should use a ' Dummy Account ' in order to see changes live/instantaneously when you make them as GM. There are other benefits as well (streaming, testing macros and other tricks, resetting the game URL). ⁠ Ctrl-L does not give you a player's view from a token. It shows you the token's 'Line of Sight' as GM. You will see everything on the GM layer, but players will not see anything on the GM layer from the same token. ⁠ Rejoin as player' is difficult because it requires logging back and forth into the game. A Dummy Account is free and can be readily toggled between two browser windows or tabs. ⁠ ⁠A player may control several tokens, and may see more or less than the GM sees when using Ctrl-L or 'Rejoin as player'. ⁠Do not use .webm animated tokens. They are currently bugged and often will not work correctly and prevent visibility. ⁠Check random other page settings, such as 'Restrict Movement' ⁠Clear your browser cache. ⁠Clear the game chat archive. My players can't see: ⁠Token and light source need to be on the correct layers. ⁠Token must have vision enabled. ⁠Token must be 'controlled' by the player who is checking vision. ⁠There needs to be a light source. ⁠ Tokens always emit light from the center of the token -- in LDL it comes from a small point in the center of the image, and in UDL it comes from a circle that is some small percentage of the image size -- so if you set the map image as a light source, you'll get some funky behavior. ⁠Token and light source need to be on the correct layers. ⁠Ensure that a token's vision is not blocked by Dynamic Lighting lines. ⁠If a player cannot see, move their token. There was a bug with UDL that prevented player vision from 'activating' until after one of their tokens is moved on a page. ⁠Make sure you don't have a Fog of War/Permanent Darkness layer on. ⁠Make sure you don't have Advanced Fog of War/Explorable Darkness blocking vision. ⁠Make sure the view is centered on a token that has vision enabled and a light source. ⁠Make sure you/your players are on the correct page. Double check that they have not been split from the Party ribbon. My players see too much: ⁠Make sure you don't have 'Daylight' turned on for the page. ⁠Walls need to be placed on the 'walls' (lighting) layer. ⁠ ⁠If a token has "line of sight" to an area illuminated by a light source, then they will be able to see that area. The only thing that blocks line of sight are Dynamic Lighting lines (walls). ⁠ ⁠Tokens cannot block light. ⁠ ⁠Fog of War/Permanent Darkness only cover an area, but do not prevent light from passing through. ⁠Explorable Darkness and Advanced Fog of War are saved for each player. So if a player has control of a token, they will see all of their 'explored area' in greyscale. ⁠Look on the 'walls' (dynamic light) layer for any unexpected light sources. They will show up as small rectangles there. ⁠Confirm which tokens the player controls. Try moving all tokens to the GM layer temporarily and moving individual tokens back to the Objects layer one by one. ⁠Page 'Cell Width' settings can have an affect on a token's vision, especially if the 'light multiplier' is set to something other than 100%. Switch the Cell Width to '1' and see what happens. Token vision isn’t correct when pulled out of the journal: ⁠Make sure to set up a token’s vision how you want it to be, and have the very last step be to save it as the default for that character sheet. ⁠Any changes made after saving as the default token will not be saved as the default unless the default token is saved again. This is intentional to allow for temporary changes. ⁠Make sure you do not have any duplicate character sheet names. ⁠Also check the Journal Archive. ⁠After pulling out the token, check which character sheet it is linked to. ⁠A character’s default token can be linked to a different character sheet.
Thanks folks. With the dummy account everything worked fine.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hey Willy! If you ever decide to upgrade all the way to Pro, the Dynamic Lighting Tool script has a feature called "Why can't this token see?", which runs a bunch of diagnostics to check for common issues and gives fix suggestions.