Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drag and Drop monsters from the compendium is broken

When I was setting up a map today I noticed that dragging and dropping monsters onto the board they appear broken now, I did this earlier today without issue but tonight they have no HP, no AC, and their size isn't correct while I could edit this to match its a lot of uneeded effort when it just worked before. I did not change any settings.  I have tested this in other games and the issue is happening their as well, thank you.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Jack! Could you supply the name of the character sheet (ex: D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet), and a couple of monsters to try? I'll try to reproduce this.
And make sure you're not dropping them onto the Map layer or the Lighting layer like I do regularly!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Dr DM said: And make sure you're not dropping them onto the Map layer or the Lighting layer like I do regularly! Huh. I never realized that worked that way. TIL.
keithcurtis said: Hi Jack! Could you supply the name of the character sheet (ex: D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet), and a couple of monsters to try? I'll try to reproduce this. I've tried it with the Tarrasque just as an example and each variety of the Red Dragons Dr DM said: And make sure you're not dropping them onto the Map layer or the Lighting layer like I do regularly! I';ve triple checked this
keithcurtis said: Hi Jack! Could you supply the name of the character sheet (ex: D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet), and a couple of monsters to try? I'll try to reproduce this. and we use the D&D 5th edition by Roll20 sheet
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here are a couple of tips to try: 1) when creating a character from a compendium drag, first make sure that no identically named creature already exists in the campaign. If you had a malformed character, dragging in fresh from the compendium will only place an instance of that malformed character. The compendium won't overwrite a local character of the same name (to protect your homebrew or edits). 2) Try in a private browsing window. If this works, then delete cache and cookies and check browser extensions for anything that might be blocking data (ad blocker, VPN, virus filter, etc.) 3. When dragging in a fresh character from the compendium, wait a few seconds before selecting or opening the token, particularly on larger characters. Make sure the event has a chance to resolve. This can be longer on slower connections, slower computers, or if a cookie or extension is interfering.
keithcurtis said: Here are a couple of tips to try: 1) when creating a character from a compendium drag, first make sure that no identically named creature already exists in the campaign. If you had a malformed character, dragging in fresh from the compendium will only place an instance of that malformed character. The compendium won't overwrite a local character of the same name (to protect your homebrew or edits). 2) Try in a private browsing window. If this works, then delete cache and cookies and check browser extensions for anything that might be blocking data (ad blocker, VPN, virus filter, etc.) 3. When dragging in a fresh character from the compendium, wait a few seconds before selecting or opening the token, particularly on larger characters. Make sure the event has a chance to resolve. This can be longer on slower connections, slower computers, or if a cookie or extension is interfering. I have tried these options and it still hasn't worked sadly
I'm having the same issue. I don't know when this began, but the solution to this is to "make a copy of the game," so I proceeded to do that, and it worked, temporarily. The next day, the same bug happened in the copied game. I already put in a ticket for help, but they offered the copied game solution but the fact is that it shouldn't be a solution if this has been happening for almost a month. 
I also had this happen today while creating some new encounters. All was good yesterday. Setting up the correct token links only took a minute but still inconvenient.

Edited 1716521815
I've noticed in Pathfinder 2E games that dragging a creature from the compendium will, about 2/3 of the time, result in most of the standard stats becoming 0. The weird thing is that the character sheet populates with the correct numbers (or text) but then switches to zeroes. When dragging does work, the entries start as zeroes and then become the correct entries. Dragging the creature onto the sheet does repopulate with the correct entries. Though it also doubles other entries, like all the attacks, spells, etc.
My compendium drops are also doing this for 5E. No more correct sizes and no more correct hp and ac. The token is linked to the sheet but always needs to have everything on the token populated manually. I've tried it with monsters I have never used and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I put in a follow-up help request about this issue, since I tried the fix saying to create a copy of my game. That worked for a while, but the behavior started again a short while after - actually later the same day after creating the copy.  I received a reply saying that they're still working on this, but that resources are currently stretched due to other issues that need to be addressed. As i put in my previous post, it's just an inconvenience for me since I prep all of my encounters ahead of time ("random" encounters only appear  to be random to the players).
Rick A. said: I put in a follow-up help request about this issue, since I tried the fix saying to create a copy of my game. That worked for a while, but the behavior started again a short while after - actually later the same day after creating the copy.  I received a reply saying that they're still working on this, but that resources are currently stretched due to other issues that need to be addressed. As i put in my previous post, it's just an inconvenience for me since I prep all of my encounters ahead of time ("random" encounters only appear  to be random to the players). thank you cuz yeah its crazy, I want to keep using roll20 but this bug adds a SHIT ton of prep time to fix this stuff and its like, the whole reason I'm using this site is to save on that time
I'm also experiencing this for the first time using the new jump gate. Dragging a monster in worked for my up until yesterday. Now when I do it, I get the generic cloaked guy, and no stats attached to them.