Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

is the free 5e SRD monsters gets replaced when you purchase MM?

So my DM was having issues with his game and myself + another player went to help him out. All of us were sharing our screen on discord and both the DM and I noticed something completely different from the problem he had. The DM and I are both Pro Users and own most of the books. We noticed the Free users had some cool tokens in compendium. They were from the SRD. My DM originally had issues pulling mosnters from the compendium to the table and the size would come out incorrectly. Large/Huge/Tiny all came out as medium. We tested new campaigns and all that jazz. What we noticed was, when the free user tried to mimick the same monsters, they were SRD. Ours were MM of the same name.  I can only assume the MM replaces / overrides SRD tokens. Kinda sucks because I liked some of the dragon token pictures on the SRD and would like to have access to them. what gives? PS: we resolved the sizing issue for the DM
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Novercallis! Here's the way that works. SRD tokens used to have generic icons. Recently Roll20 commissioned token artwork for the SRD, Now users without the MM can use the free SRD monsters with artwork ready-to-go. If you already have a monster in your game, that monster's token is set. In fact the entire creature is set. If you later give a monster in your game different artwork, or change the statblock, say to give handguns to hobgoblins, then whenever you pull a new hobgoblin from the Compendium, you will get a copy of your local, altered hobgoblin. This is intentional, and designed to protect against accidentally overwriting your homebrew changes. Also, compendium source assets that have the same name as an SRD asset will take precedence over the SRD. This is to ensure you get the thing you paid money for. So here is the hierarchy of what you get if you drag a creature from the compendium: Creature already in game trumps Creature in Monster Manual trumps SRD creature. In order to get the SRD version, you need to have no identically-named creature in the game already, and not have the Monster Manual available in that game. The easiest option available to you as a Pro user is to create a new game with the 5e compendium (just choose the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet at creation time to ensure this) and go to the settings page and turn off all compendium sources (not the compendium itself). There is a "select all" button to make this easy. That game should get only SRD tokens. You can then use the transmogrifier (a Pro perk) to move them into your other game.
" If you already have a monster in your game, that monster's token is set. In fact the entire creature is set. If you later give a monster in your game different artwork, or change the statblock, say to give handguns to hobgoblins, then whenever you pull a new hobgoblin from the Compendium, you will get a copy of your local, altered hobgoblin. This is intentional, and designed to protect against accidentally overwriting your homebrew changes." I don't like this. Is this only affecting that one campaign or is this across all my tables? I hope it's not the former.  as for the SRD stuff - thanks on the solution to get the SRD still. 
The way that I get around this is by always opening up the NPC character sheet that gets created by pulling from the compendium, select Edit, then making a duplicate. I then make any homebrew modifications to that duplicate and rename it to something similar: for instance, if I pull the Orc  from the compendium, I'll create a duplicate, alter that duplicate, then rename it  "White Fang Orc" . That way, if I ever need to bring in a standard MM Orc, it won't overwrite my homebrew Orc. Novercalis said: " If you already have a monster in your game, that monster's token is set. In fact the entire creature is set. If you later give a monster in your game different artwork, or change the statblock, say to give handguns to hobgoblins, then whenever you pull a new hobgoblin from the Compendium, you will get a copy of your local, altered hobgoblin. This is intentional, and designed to protect against accidentally overwriting your homebrew changes." I don't like this. Is this only affecting that one campaign or is this across all my tables? I hope it's not the former.  as for the SRD stuff - thanks on the solution to get the SRD still.