Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recent Data Breach

I wanted to open up a discussion regarding the recent security incident notification email sent out by Roll20. While prompt communication about the unauthorized access to administrative tools is appreciated, there are some concerning issues that I believe warrant further explanation and action from the Roll20 team. The most glaring issue is the use of links that redirect through Hubspot, a marketing and analytics platform, in the context of a security breach notification. This is a highly questionable practice that undermines user trust and raises serious privacy concerns. Roll20 needs to provide a clear justification for this decision and take immediate steps to offer a direct, unmonitored channel for disseminating critical security information to users. Furthermore, the technical details provided about the compromised admin tools and the extent of the breach are insufficient. Roll20 should share more specifics about their system architecture, data segregation practices, access controls, and encryption standards to help users accurately assess the potential impact on their sensitive information. A comprehensive technical report on the incident, preferably vetted by third-party security experts, would demonstrate a commitment to transparency and help restore confidence in Roll20's security posture. It is also crucial that Roll20 outline their incident response process, including the steps being taken to thoroughly investigate the breach, identify the root cause, and implement necessary remediation measures. Engaging outside security firms to conduct an independent audit of systems and controls would provide valuable insights and validation. Regular updates on the progress of this investigation and the resulting action plan should be shared with the user community. Moving forward, Roll20 must prioritize the adoption of industry best practices for secure development, rigorous access management, robust encryption, and continuous security monitoring. Proactive measures like regular audits, penetration testing, and bug bounty programs can help identify and address vulnerabilities before they are exploited. In addition to technical controls, Roll20 needs to foster a culture of transparency and open communication, particularly when it comes to security matters. Using tracking links in breach notifications is a step in the wrong direction and indicates a need for a fundamental shift in how Roll20 approaches user privacy and trust.
Regarding the hacked account: Seems to be the account they used for forum closing notifications: as you can see the [Deleted] instead of its username... Other than that I am with you. I am interested in HOW that Account was hacked... had one of the Admins clicked on a suspicious link and has its data phished or something else?
Although I find 2FA annoying at times, I have to agree that it's about time that Roll20 (as well as other gaming sites that store people's financial information) enact this or something similar. As for first name/last name/email/etc.; for anyone who has any sort of online footprint at all, all that info is available to anyone that wants it. Most companies regularly sell that data to marketing agencies unless you specifically request them not to.