Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Use already owned 5E handbooks with D&D 2024 edition

Hi, i have a question about the new D&D 2024 handbook, my players are interested in it and its changes, but my question is this, over the years i have purchased almost all 5e modules and handbooks, making 5E the only version of D&D i plan to play for a good while considering the money i have sunk into it, if i was to purchase the new D&D 2024 books, would i be able to use them alongside my already purchased 5E books, or will it be like starting over again with my book purchases the same as if i was to switch to a different version or game? Basically can i add the new D&D 2024 books to my existing 5E book collection and use it along side them or will this be treated like its own new version?
<a href="https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/dungeons-and-dragons/how-to/dnd-2024-everything-need-to-know" rel="nofollow">https://www.dicebreaker.com/series/dungeons-and-dragons/how-to/dnd-2024-everything-need-to-know</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11793851/announcing-the-new-character-sheet-for-d-and-d-2024/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11793851/announcing-the-new-character-sheet-for-d-and-d-2024/?pagenum=1</a> There are no definitive answers yet, but yes the intent is that the 2024 content can be used alongside the 2014 content. For Roll20 specifically you’ll likely need to use the new character sheet once it is available in order to fully use the 2024 content.&nbsp;
In addition to what Jarren said, from things that I've read, it looks like the new changes will allow you to still use characters created using the existing 5e rules, but they'll be at a disadvantage compared to characters created with the updated rules. I have no idea how characters created with the new rules will work with any old modules, old monsters or existing homebrew content.&nbsp;
Thanks for the information! Hopefully that ends up being the case!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Terrag! It is my understanding that an authoritative answer is being formulated, but it is also my understanding that your old material will continue to work under the new sheet, at that all sourcebooks old and new will be part of the same compendium, both available in the same game. As soon as a statement is released, I'll post it here if my memory does not fail me. :)
keithcurtis said: Hi Terrag! It is my understanding that an authoritative answer is being formulated, but it is also my understanding that your old material will continue to work under the new sheet, at that all sourcebooks old and new will be part of the same compendium, both available in the same game. As soon as a statement is released, I'll post it here if my memory does not fail me. :) Thanks! i really appreciate it!

Edited 1720798858
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
OK! The&nbsp; FAQ section on the new sheet landing page &nbsp;has been updated to include a lot of recent questions. Your answers should be in here: When can i expect the full release of the new character sheet and builder? The new character sheet and builder will be available the same day as the D&amp;D 2024 Player’s Handbook: September 17. How do i try out the new alpha character sheet? The alpha version of the character sheet is available on Roll20 Characters. Do i have to be a subscriber to access the alpha? No, the Alpha character sheet is open to everyone. Which compendiums are compatible with the new sheet? The new character sheet and builder will be compatible with all D&amp;D 5th edition sourcebooks and adventures, including the new D&amp;D 2024 core rulebooks. How do i give feedback or report a bug? Send us your feedback form via the button on the sheet for suggestions and bugs. Is this the full character sheet experience i should expect in September? No, there is plenty more coming for both the Beta release in July and the full release in September. Will the existing D&amp;D 5th Edition (2014) sheet be removed? No, there are no plans to remove the existing character sheet from Roll20. Will i be able to use my older books already purchased on Roll20? Both the 2014 and 2024 books will be within one compendium (similar to how Pathfinder 2e /Pathfinder 2e Core works), so you'll be able to access both in a campaign. Will i be able to create 2014 characters with the 2024 sheet? Yes! You'll be able to create characters using either ruleset with the new 2024 sheet and builder. Will i be able to continue to manage my existing 2014 characters with the 2024 sheet? We are working on tools to convert your characters from the old sheet to the new sheet, if it's desired, as some 2024 functionality will not work with the old sheet. Will monsters, spells, feats, etc. From the 2014 sources be usable and manageable with the 2024 sheet? Yes! You'll be able to utilize 2014 items, weapons, monsters, feats, etc. with the 2024 sheet, and in some cases you'll get additional functionality if you use the new sheet. Are the new D&amp;D 2024 books any good? Some of the Roll20 team have gotten the chance to read advanced copies of the new Player’s Handbook. We think it is the biggest and best version of D&amp;D ever made. (No really, we don’t have to be Mark Hamill promoting the Last Jedi.)
What if I don't have digital books yet and buy the bundle. Can I use the books or have to wait until full release dates.&nbsp;&nbsp; FYI I'm okay with using existing book just don't want to have to wait or double purchase anything.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The books should each be released day and date with their print counterparts. You will get access to the PHB first, and then the DMG, and thin in early 2025, the Monster Manual. Each should be fully usable within Roll20 without waiting for the others.
keithcurtis said: OK!&nbsp; OK! The&nbsp; FAQ section on the new sheet landing page &nbsp;has been updated to include a lot of recent questions. Your answers should be in here: When can i expect the full release of the new character sheet and builder? The new character sheet and builder will be available the same day as the D&amp;D 2024 Player’s Handbook: September 17. How do i try out the new alpha character sheet? The alpha version of the character sheet is available on Roll20 Characters. Do i have to be a subscriber to access the alpha? No, the Alpha character sheet is open to everyone. Which compendiums are compatible with the new sheet? The new character sheet and builder will be compatible with all D&amp;D 5th edition sourcebooks and adventures, including the new D&amp;D 2024 core rulebooks. How do i give feedback or report a bug? Send us your feedback form via the button on the sheet for suggestions and bugs. Is this the full character sheet experience i should expect in September? No, there is plenty more coming for both the Beta release in July and the full release in September. Will the existing D&amp;D 5th Edition (2014) sheet be removed? No, there are no plans to remove the existing character sheet from Roll20. Will i be able to use my older books already purchased on Roll20? Both the 2014 and 2024 books will be within one compendium (similar to how Pathfinder 2e /Pathfinder 2e Core works), so you'll be able to access both in a campaign. Will i be able to create 2014 characters with the 2024 sheet? Yes! You'll be able to create characters using either ruleset with the new 2024 sheet and builder. Will i be able to continue to manage my existing 2014 characters with the 2024 sheet? We are working on tools to convert your characters from the old sheet to the new sheet, if it's desired, as some 2024 functionality will not work with the old sheet. Will monsters, spells, feats, etc. From the 2014 sources be usable and manageable with the 2024 sheet? Yes! You'll be able to utilize 2014 items, weapons, monsters, feats, etc. with the 2024 sheet, and in some cases you'll get additional functionality if you use the new sheet. Are the new D&amp;D 2024 books any good? Some of the Roll20 team have gotten the chance to read advanced copies of the new Player’s Handbook. We think it is the biggest and best version of D&amp;D ever made. (No really, we don’t have to be Mark Hamill promoting the Last Jedi.) Thanks so much this really helps!