Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Let GM press "Z" to zoom a token and show full size to Players

Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 already introduced the new feature: You can click on a Token that you can control, and press "z" to zoom the token to Full Size, full resolution view. The problem is the Players typically only have control of their own token, not the monsters or fellow characters. SUGGESTION: Please allow the GM to press "z" on any token the GM controls (all tokens) and GM pressing "z" would force-zoom that token graphic to full size for everyone to see, similar to the "Show To Players" button on Handouts. This would allow the GM to pop-up the goblin tokens for the players to see the details at full size. Vote +1 on this suggestion if you agree :)
I do not like features that allow the GM to override what I want to see on my screen. If this gets implemented, then an option for players to disable this on their side must also be implemented.

Edited 1412795792
+1!!! Thank you Gold! I wouldn't have thought of this as in our games, as we always click and drag tokens (making them phisically bigger) to do the "HEY look at this!" action. This would be invaluable as a GM for storytelling/mood setting.
A big part of the advantage in this suggestion for me would be if the status icons currently showing on the token are also kept on the token as its zoomed for easy viewing. The current "z" zoom feature doesn't show the status icons currently selected for that token. The usefulness of what I'm describing is for when the players are zoomed out so as to be able to see the whole larger area. I've marked tokens with various status icons to show the tokens' current states - but the players can't make them out because of the magnification they're at to be able to see the whole screen. It necessitates constantly zooming in and out and in and out. If the "z" zoom feature showed the larger token image with its current status icons, the players could keep the small magnification but select the tokens they wanted to see the picture and status' of.
Perhaps instead of allowing the GM to do this on behalf of the players, the function could instead be re-worked to utilize the @{target} functionality. This would then allow players to hit 'Z' and be prompted for which icon to click on and then zoom it; negating the need to have control of the token.
I would love to be able to zoom tokens for my players. Right now, I have to have a handout for every enemy so the players can see what the creatures are they are fighting. +1 to allow the DM to zoom a token for the players
Mark G. said: Perhaps instead of allowing the GM to do this on behalf of the players, the function could instead be re-worked to utilize the @{target} functionality. This would then allow players to hit 'Z' and be prompted for which icon to click on and then zoom it; negating the need to have control of the token. That is what I would prefer.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I hope that along with this, the Devs will make it so hitting the Z key again zooms back out. =D
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
As a DM, I'd like to do this and yet be able to close the image on all player screens, too.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I hope that along with this, the Devs will make it so hitting the Z key again zooms back out. =D Yes. Please! It just feels natural to want to toggle on/off with the same button. KISS method.
Gold
Forum Champion
Vince, The Aaron, this "z" suggestion is now marked as "On Dev". I think that means you Mentor supporters can go and test it on the development server. Give it a try and please post here again to report how it's working on-dev at present.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Have been. It is very very cool. If you wanna try it out, PM me and I'll invite you to a game. =D
I still want an option to prevent the GM from doing this on my screen. >_<
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Hitting Z or ESC to "unzoom" is intuitive and it is working very nice on the Dev Server. It currently doesn't have the same smooth animation when returning the token to normal, but it is fully functional as is.
This suggestion is now completed. You can now press "Shift+Z" while an object is selected to show a zoomed-in version of that object to all your players. If you feel like a suggestion you made in the comments wasn't done or you want this feature expanded upon, please start a new suggestion thread that outlines your requested additional improvements. This thread will now be closed, and all votes for it will automatically be refunded so they can be re-spent. The score will remain the same as it was for posterity.