Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Old Topic] Expanded Chat System

Score + 218
Just another reminder that there's a lot of low-hanging fruit here — small changes which could really improve our experience!  You don't have to do the kitchen sink... just give chat some love!
I'd love Timestamps in Chat Archive, I don't see that currently available so I'll add my +1 to this.
라브
Pro
Translator
Is this still valid? Separate tabs would be absolutely lovely. 
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We are planning some updates to the Text Chat. Those plans do address some of the the problems brought up in this and the archived thread. Tabbed Text Chat brings up a whole lot of considerations that will have to be made.
Gold
Forum Champion
Are text chat updates out yet, or date announced? +1 thank you
Since this is listed as feedback, as Roll 20 is seeming to look for ideas. I would say expanding the Chat system to be more chat room-like. The whisper function isn't entirely efficient, as after an amount it cuts and posts the rest in public chat. If we could open up private little chats in-game with the DM, that would work much better. This could work talking with magic between players as well and could even work if parts of the group split up, as the groups can be split up into different little group chat rooms with the GM to keep things known to only the groups involved. Obviously, for the health of the game, I would suggest the DM has access to these logs and chats to keep a healthy game environment and to prevent meta-gaming or any other problems that could arise. There has to be a balance between player secrets to surprise the GM and things that could promote an unhealthy game environment. These are my ideas/feedback, nothing perfect but something for the team to think about and the community to look at and maybe even improve upon my own ideas with their own.
Gold
Forum Champion
Boost the Chat Room power Especially for multiple conversations / threads / tabs; colors and fonts and backgrounds; +1 yes please