Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Hover to see token name and bars

When the tokens are close together, the nameplates disappear. It would be nice if hovering your mouse over a (visible) token would reveal the nameplate and stat bars.
I'd like this if it meant that the name and bars could normally be set to hidden, but would show up on hovering the mouse over. (I'm not sure whether your suggestion includes this - it could be taken to only apply where the names and bars are normally shown.) I prefer a clean look to the table without the names and bars, so if they could be revealed on a hover I'd really like it.
+1 when you add Spyke's suggestion to the OP
Not what I was originally asking for, but that sounds good to me.
I would like to see each bar and bubble have their own checkbox for whether or not they show up when selected / on mouseover.
Agree with HoneyBadger. Great plan.
I agree, hover text would be helpful, especially in crowded situations.
I'd also like to see optional text for DM only. Need to be able to differentiate between what a player sees vs what the DM sees when hovering.
+1
+1 to this idea, and a bump. Tonight's game had a large number of closely-packed tokens, many of which were controllable by all the players at once. They were only differentiated by their names, which tended to overlap, and their appearance, which was more than slightly obscured by the nameplates and health bars. The result was a disorganized mess that took as much time to sort out as to play out. And a map that consisted mostly of colored bars and random gibberish (due to the text overlapping). It would have looked so much prettier if all of that could have been hidden until needed, being revealed only on hover. This is something I think Roll20 desperately needs to improve functionality, and so it gets one of my votes. -Phnord, who has to think of a workaround next time this situation comes up.
Agreed. I have name plates on because the players can't remember NPC names, but that makes the map very crowded.
This would be really, really helpful. +1. I often find myself wanting to create maps ahead of time and store the monster data as a character (or just as a token) but without easy ways to view stats like armor, initiative, even special notes/abilities -- it's really difficult to rely on the tool. When you have a campaign laid out for you, it's not such a big deal, but if you're building some encounters with random monsters, it's insane to try and flip through all the different pages and books to see monster stat blocks. Thanks team! Love roll20.
I was just coming on to post this idea, and see that it's already here. +1 from me.
+1
+1

Edited 1426593813
This would be so much better than the default behavior... +1
Would this hover over behavior reveal the standard bubble/.nameplate or would it popup a subtext "string" of info , that you could customize (like macros) to your liking, like "Name,Class,Strength,Intelligence,Wisdom,Constitution,Dexterity,Charisma" ; or possibly some other text template of viable information.. It seems like some people are assuming both these possibilities.
+1
I had originally intended only the nameplate, but I'm open to more powerful customizations. I really just want to be able to distinguish multiple tokens when they're close together.
+1 I like Spyke's suggestion. Another use for this would be investigation scenarios where the player could hover over a token and the name could be revealed as, for example: "there was a fire here recently...papers were burned..."
Oooh, a rollover state for Names and Bars! I like it. Last vote of the day goes to this suggestion. +1
+1
Voting this up.  Overlapping token names can be distracting and incredibly confusing.
I guess this is not implemented yet, right? :<
Having this would save a lot of time and not have the need to have the token names displayed
I would like it if the hover text could be specified separately from the name field. This would let you use 'nicknames' with full names being given, or to allow full html hover text for monster descriptions and the like.
+1  Sorry, but the current state of nameplates is downright horrible.  Allow us to not only set it to hover, but also control the size and location of the nameplate (e.g. have the nameplate appear inside of the token area, above, to either side, etc).
+1
+1
+1 Plus for another reason: Clicking on the character once pops up the bubbles, but twice pops up the edit screen for the token. Way too often I get the edit screen instead of the bubble, so hovering will stop that unwanted effect.  -Falson
+1
Spyke said: I'd like this if it meant that the name and bars could normally be set to hidden, but would show up on hovering the mouse over. (I'm not sure whether your suggestion includes this - it could be taken to only apply where the names and bars are normally shown.) I prefer a clean look to the table without the names and bars, so if they could be revealed on a hover I'd really like it. +1
Yeah I like this idea. +1
I really want this. As far as concerns me, I think this should be the default behavior.
This is a good idea, it would also be nice if you could see your GM notes when you hovered over a token.  It's a huge pain in the ass to have to open up a token each time I want to see notes that I made on it.
Here's a simple mockup of how I personally would like to have the hover/selection settings. This would apply to all tokens in the campaign. Then, add an option to override these settings on tokens individually as well. That would make it flexible and easy to apply to existing campaigns, without having to through and do a ton of token editing.  Although I didn't include them, it would be nice to have Aura's as well in the global settings.  Essentially, using :hover and :active, add the ability to set the token name, bars, and auras to only hose when mousing over the token, selecting the token, or all the time (via settings on the individual tokens).
Lou H. said: This is a good idea, it would also be nice if you could see your GM notes when you hovered over a token.  It's a huge pain in the ass to have to open up a token each time I want to see notes that I made on it. Go ahead and show player notes to everyone on hover as well. Incredibly useful.
I put a +1 on this, but I'd love to see this. I dislike having nice art on my tokens, only to have them  covered up by the overlapping mess of token names, and bars. I'd like to see a hover show, I'd like to see an option to change the bar positions, and orientation. (Think bars verticle next to a nice image.) Just adding this, because I'm not too sure what the current dev is working on.
+1 This would be really useful
+1 I would also use this feature heavily, if it existed.
Yes hovering bars and names would so rock...
+1 OMG! YES!!!!
+1
That would indeed be nice ! +1
+1
Still waiting, le sigh.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Honestly this is neat, but I am not really fond of having hidden icon names and stuff, I'm a person who likes to keep them visible so that way I know where everything is including a boss in the fight without guessing. Perhaps its just me but I could see this as a optional idea.
Joshua - I think you missed the point. I wasn't asking for anything to be hidden, I was asking for the nameplates and bars to be surfaced on hover. There are a bunch of cases where they disappear - if your token is too close to a blacked-out area, for example, or if tokens are too close together. 

Edited 1486274444
I think this would work best as a toggle in the in-game settings tab so that, as a player or GM, I can choose whether bars and nameplates that I have permission to see/edit always show or only show on hover. While the suggestions so far assume the GM controls this per token or per game, it sounds to me like a display preference like avatar size. Anyway, +1
Again, the request is not "hide the nameplates and bars unless I hover the mouse", it's "reveal them when I hover the mouse in circumstances when they might normally be obscured", like when I'm too close to a wall or the tokens are too close together. The former is possibly a useful feature as well for somebody (though not for me), but it's not what I'm asking for. 
Gotta give a +1, sounds convenient.