Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

The size of the distance measurement should scale with zoom levels [ Ruler ]

Especially when using Roll20 to play tabletop war-games we end up measuring distances zoomed so far off that we can't see the numbers (the distance given by the ruler). The size of the ruler (the lines) and the font size of the numbers should scale so that they are always the same size (compared to the screen) regardless of the zoom level. More about it here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/203597/the-size-of-the-ruler-line-and-the-distance-should-scale-with-zoom-levels#post-292180" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/203597/the-size-of-the-ruler-line-and-the-distance-should-scale-with-zoom-levels#post-292180</a>.
so much yes. just yes.

Edited 1442558208
Gold
Forum Champion
I'm lending my vote to this now. Because I can remember having this issue so many times, going waaaay back many months probably years on Roll20. I think there are additional "GUI elements" of Roll20 that need to be fixed to scale at different zoom level views. I'm thinking of the radial bubbles and nameplate, but an overall study of the Graphical User Interface at large-scale zoom levels like 20% might uncover additional improvements to be made. Thank you very much.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Additional note, it might make sense to have a UI scale in the settings tab. Some people might have a hard time reading it at normal zooms already.

Edited 1415831413
I would love this for my attack on titan style city maps where its quite large and as GM I need to be zoomed out If itdoesn't scale, maybe a tiny box that reflects the current measurement
any chance you make the ruler so we can enhance the resault of the ruler. like i make a world map but when zoom all out i cant see the numbers on the ruler becuse the ruler stats ( numbers ) is so fare away so a option to see it ontop or middel or something like that Enhanced would be wery nice ?
Distance often unable to be read when using Ruler Tool on iPad The distance being measured when using the Ruler Tool is often unable to be read on the iPad as the number is obscured by my finger. Would it be possible to have the distance displayed further back from the end point on the measured line?
Oh yes. Should not be too hard to implement. Looks like a low hanging fruit.
Gold
Forum Champion
I've now noticed that the Measurement Tool distance read-out is even hidden by its own cursor on a laptop (not just by your finger on a tablet). This problem is related to the small numbers (the size of the tool) but also related to the location of the readout (at the tip end of the ruler, right where the cursor appears, or your finger). Steps to Replicate: With the Units set 2 miles and the grid set to .5, even at a moderate zoom level (zoomed out, like 80% or 60%) the Measurement cursor hides the measurement-tool-tip-readout. Sure the number is small and that's another problem, but even as tiny as the number is, it would be almost readable if it wasn't hidden behind the cursor point. I have to zoom to viewing only a section of the map (110%, 130%), in order to get the Measurement readable, and then the 2 towns I'm trying to measure aren't showing at the same time on the screen so I have to scroll while the Measurement tool is on (which is possible but tricky). This is on a regional map not a dungeon grid.
This is a must for long range abilities in DnD no matter the edition +1 from me
+1 And perhaps while we're at it, maybe make it so we can measure smaller increments than what the grid is set at. I'm running Kingmaker AP for Pathfinder, and the each hex on the overland map of the region the PCs are exploring is 12 miles across, corner to corner. Well, it'd be really nice to be able to measure things at a slightly smaller scale (like 1-mile increments), since 12 mi, 24 mi, and so on isn't very helpful when the points you're trying to measure between are closer than that to each other.
Being able to choose if you're measuring from an edge/vertex or the center of a tile might also be nice.

Edited 1437630053
Epsilon R. said: Being able to choose if you're measuring from an edge/vertex or the center of a tile might also be nice. This is a completely different feature suggestion and I suggest you start a new suggestion thread about it.
Maetco said: Epsilon R. said: Being able to choose if you're measuring from an edge/vertex or the center of a tile might also be nice. This is a completely different feature suggestion and I suggest you start a new suggestion thread about it. It's pretty similar to the suggestion directly above mine, falls under the category of "improve the ruler, and I don't have the spare vote to create a new topic at the moment.
Another nice feature would be to be able to change the measurement scale. &nbsp;For example Miles, Kilometers, Feet, or even make your own custom scales based on the number of feet. &nbsp;For example: Custom Measurement Number of Feet Engaged Range 0-5 Feet Short Range 5-20 Feet +Click to add Range
Gold
Forum Champion
@ David, you can change the Scale under Page Settings and it will reflect on the Measurement Tool. Choices are:&nbsp;ft, m, km and mi and select how many of that unit each square is worth. Wiki Documentation,&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size_.2" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size_.2</a>... Your idea to add custom ranges (like Short, Medium, Long) is a neat addition.
Gold said: @ David, you can change the Scale under Page Settings and it will reflect on the Measurement Tool. Choices are:&nbsp;ft, m, km and mi and select how many of that unit each square is worth. Wiki Documentation,&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size_.2" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Page_Size_.2</a>... Your idea to add custom ranges (like Short, Medium, Long) is a neat addition. Awesome, thank you very much!
+1 I want to be able to read my measurements
I vote aye. This would help the group I role-play with a great deal.&nbsp; We have to work as a team as it is now. One measures the great distance while zoomed out, and the other is zoomed in on the target and shares what the range is. Thank you
Bryn
Marketplace Creator
+1
I was just coming here to suggest this; I full approve.
I also run into this repeatedly. Would be handy not to have to limit map size by how visible the measuring ruler is.
Yes, this would be an ideal addition as I have a lot of large scale horse mounted archery battles on large maps in my game. Have added my +1!
This is a basic feature for almost any visual program/app. That's why&nbsp;I think this is a bug and not a missing feature. +1
I don't pay so I guess I don't have much room to complain but this does seem sort of silly that it's not fixed. Well I almost typed it out but I think I read I'm not supposed to mention other tools here. The non-website (such technical language I have) based tool that I use to use has a measuring tool with a readout that scales. Just sayin. I prefer Roll20 though at this point. Thanks. +1
My players gonna have long range (1000m-2000m) battle, so yes !
I would like to see this as well. &nbsp;In addition, a function to hide the ruler from players so they don't know that something is 420' away to their left. &nbsp;A separate measuring function "GM Ruler" would be the easiest, or a check box for the current one.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Having just built a huge map for the island my players are developing it would be great to see this up and running properly soon for my own selfish measuring needs :)
Would love to see this. +2.
Yes, please. &nbsp;+1.
Addition: Set a zoom default on pages so tokens don't look too big or small and characters know where they're starting but can still magnify to their will. +1&nbsp;
Why is this not a thing yet? this posted a year ago! such a great idea!
+1
Bryn
Marketplace Creator
Yes, yes and more yes!
Please make this happen!
My 7th sea sailors would be happy to see this done so their world map is easier to navigate.

Edited 1474767229
Gah! Why on earth isn't this already done?!?!?! +1 If it's difficult to make it visibly scale, perhaps put a popup under the zoom scrollbar that shows what your own ruler's says? Also, make both ends of the ruler end snap to the nearest object on that layer by tapping or holding some key down! I have my map set to 0.1 units of 5 feet and it's frustrating that I can't reliably say that the center of a token is XXXX distance from some object or to some other token (currently the ruler snaps to the GRID, not to objects). For example, if with the ruler tool I hold down spacebar before clicking-dragging the ruler, if I happen to also be clicking on a token then the tail should snap to the token I clicked on. From there, I should be able to either keep holding spacebar (to make the head of the ruler snap to any token my mouse passes over) or let go of spacebar to make the tail continue to snap to the first token but otherwise be free. Then, when I have my mouse over another token I should be able to tap spacebar again to make the ruler head toggle between snapping to a token or not.
Get this done please. &nbsp;It is needed and can't be that hard.
Leonardo Raele I said: This is a basic feature for almost any visual program/app. That's why&nbsp;I think this is a bug and not a missing feature. +1 +1
Emrys T. said: Gah! Why on earth isn't this already done?!?!?! +1 If it's difficult to make it visibly scale, perhaps put a popup under the zoom scrollbar that shows what your own ruler's says? Also, make both ends of the ruler end snap to the nearest object on that layer by tapping or holding some key down! I have my map set to 0.1 units of 5 feet and it's frustrating that I can't reliably say that the center of a token is XXXX distance from some object or to some other token (currently the ruler snaps to the GRID, not to objects). For example, if with the ruler tool I hold down spacebar before clicking-dragging the ruler, if I happen to also be clicking on a token then the tail should snap to the token I clicked on. From there, I should be able to either keep holding spacebar (to make the head of the ruler snap to any token my mouse passes over) or let go of spacebar to make the tail continue to snap to the first token but otherwise be free. Then, when I have my mouse over another token I should be able to tap spacebar again to make the ruler head toggle between snapping to a token or not. Yes this is a good direction to go. You could put the measured distance in a box below the tool bar. Large and clear.&nbsp; You can hold the Alt key and measure from any point to any other point. Does that help?
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1

Edited 1481307993
Jen
Pro
As I work on yet another huuuuge battlemap, still desperately wishing for this. I wonder if I can somehow force it meanwhile with Stylebot....&nbsp; (Edited to answer: nope, couldn't find anything to adjust)
+1
+1, because yea... this should have happened in the 70's :P
+1. Positioned at the bottom of the Toolbar would be a good place in my opinion.
+1. Having it say the distance somewhere on the screen instead of just on the arrow in tiny print would really help.
+1, playing a game with mecha where some gunfights are over a kilometer and I am using a 10m Scale. RIP me trying to read the ruler. It is hard to measure for hidden units when I need my players to tell me the measurement. The idea of pop up box that displays measurement to the user is something I could see it being an easy quick fix. and less numbers to put in when figuring out zoom and appropriate scales.
I was coming online to suggest this same thing. &nbsp;My group usually plays Traveller or other rpgs that use long range weapons for tactical conflict. &nbsp;My thought was that utilize a right click on the mouse or hit the control button while the range finder is extended and have the range shown in the chat stream under the name of the player making the measurement. &nbsp;The same issue exists for seeing who is who on a tactical map. &nbsp;I would suggest the same solution...show the name of the token in chat under the inquiring person's name.
Chris
Pro
Translator
+1 it's really needed - zooming in costs time and overview
This needs to be implemented soon. Measuring long distances is completely impossible at the moment.
Please add this. &nbsp;On large maps the numbers on the measuring tool are impossible to read. &nbsp; And its MOST important on large maps because I can count the spaces on a small map easily. &nbsp; Especially important when playing in modern settings with firearms.