Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[API] Content Generation

There are some really great content generators out there. It would be nice to embed some of that technology into the site. Other sites, like Gozzy's or Chaotic Shiny have simple content generators that would be nice to have in a toolbox for Roll20. Things like caves, cities, dungeons - it's fine to import them, but generating something for a "new blank page" would be spectacular. As a GM, I want to manage factions in my campaign world - politics, intrigue, fights between deities, etc. Generating a new Inn every few hours while the group is on the road is a hassle. Imagine the group traveling on a long highway, and you come to a village - poof, village generated. Don't like it? Scrap, regenerate. Ahh, better. Okay, they see the blacksmith. His shop looks like this, bam, you are in the shop. He has a wife, a daughter, and two apprentices (tokens up!). Okay, the inn looks like this ... a room costs 8 silver ... Okay, on the road in the morning ... on the road, there's a random encounter ... and it's a band of half-orc bandits. Here's the map ... etc., etc. These are little things to generate, but would save GM's hours and hours of time. It would be a huge attraction to Roll20. For details that GM's WANT to set, dynamic lighting, and that kind of thing, it takes a lot of investment of our time. So, having a few tools that can make it easier would be excellent. Also, it would keep my from having 18 windows open (well, at least not as often?). I have a huge number of these generators: Everything from Cityographer (fantastic tool) to lists of websites with various generators for free. An interface for them to be added to a toolbox would be awesome. I'm pretty new to Roll20, but I like what I've been able to do, so far. I'm definitely on the bandwagon.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
This sounds very cool. I've considered working on writing some procedural generation systems for the API. Content (that there is an inn, with rooms for 8 sp, or a blacksmith with a wife, daughter, 2 apprentices) is pretty straight forward to handle in the API, graphics not so much. There are some dungeon generators that rely on having rollable tables setup with certain images available via the marketplace. I've considered attempting something similar for towns and other over world locations.
I can't really afford to bump to Mentor-level, right now, but I do want to - and much for this reason. Imagine storing a large cache of meta-data about your campaign: Races, deities, characters, nations, factions, and so on. Generators could really pull from and build onto things we already do. Most of the web-based ones could probably use a "mash-up" style that could generate that content and let Roll20 manage it. Have goblin tokens in your Vault? Okay, we can make sure some goblins go into that next random dungeon or cave.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It would be nice if the API could access your vault and your tags. Then it could find art for various tasks automatically. The work around with adding them to a rollable table is a real pain in the butt.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: It would be nice if the API could access your vault and your tags. Then it could find art for various tasks automatically. The work around with adding them to a rollable table is a real pain in the butt. +1
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
The Aaron said: This sounds very cool. I've considered working on writing some procedural generation systems for the API. Content (that there is an inn, with rooms for 8 sp, or a blacksmith with a wife, daughter, 2 apprentices) is pretty straight forward to handle in the API, graphics not so much. There are some dungeon generators that rely on having rollable tables setup with certain images available via the marketplace. I've considered attempting something similar for towns and other over world locations. GO GO GO ;)
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Still a great idea :)
yes it is i +1 it i love the idea for roll20 to natively support more functions even if they where pro level only  
That would be the MOAS - the mother of all scripts. :-D
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .