Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

THEMES! & Campaign Customization

Score + 185

Edited 1415350798
Hey, just thought I throw out my request for a bit of campaign customization. I am sure even if the mechanic is set in place that many of the users would contribute for some truly spectacular stuff (much like the character sheet deal). I was perusing some of the other online table-tops and some of them have some pretty nifty themes. Example: I think that a bit of background, handout, and graphic sprucing up would be awesome for players immersion. Woodgrain and parchment for fantasy, gun metal and hazardous waste symbols for post-apocalyptic etc.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Good suggestion Kenny T. You can try installing the Stylish extension (chrome). Use one already made or create your own. I'm sure it's not as in dept as your suggestion, but it's a start.
Awesome Vince - will give it a shot! but thats more for just personalizing YOUR browser, others wont see it right?

Edited 1415557047
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You're right, but they can also install the stylish extension and load the theme you create/modify. Cool for your private group and it allows each person to modify it to fit their own needs. Need bigger text or a different font, no problem. I'm not a css wiz, so I do basic things. The more you know and with a little experimentation, I think it has some great potential. Works with other sites as well.
Great insight Vince - I will definitely start playing around with that. :-D
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I would point out that the above screenshot is from Fantasy Grounds. I'll also note that creating a ruleset for Fantasy Grounds is... involved. I've done it before, and I'm happy to have learned Lua while doing it, but I'd rather not do it again.
@ Brian - thanks for the info, from one knowledgeable in all things scripted; is this even a feasible implementation - i mean is there a better avenue than using Lua? Something a bit less time consuming? I was hoping for a few presets with the option to customize for those in the know. Even make the presets a "supporter" feature to drum up support for the contributors.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Just to clarify, Lua is a programming language, and just the way that Fantasy Grounds is customized. Doing something similar on Roll20 would be highly unlikely to use Lua.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Having come from FG myself, roll20's "look" was a little offsetting and took some time to get used to. I understand that not everyone plays a medieval fantasy setting but I think the current look is very modern. Good or bad. Being able to "skin" roll20 is an interesting idea.

Edited 1416027514
Michael H
Sheet Author
Shamelessly plugging my The One Ring and Trail of Cthulhu themes. And yeah, creating a rulesets for Fantasy Grounds... That way lies madness. Not to mention, it's only on Windows.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
How hard would it be to skin roll20? Anyone care to comment on the technical side of this?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
There was some discussion of this in the Mentor forum over the weekend. Heilemann seems to be pretty much the foremost expert from the users side of things. The CSS leaves a little something to be desired, so far as I understand it, maybe he can comment on it here (or you can go to his blog where he talked about it in detail I think...)

Edited 1420765334
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Just to clarify, Lua is a programming language, and just the way that Fantasy Grounds is customized. Doing something similar on Roll20 would be highly unlikely to use Lua. The main difficulty with FG rulesets is that it's not just skinning the thing. You're writing a large portion of the program's behavior as Lua events. Even opening dialogs is handled by Lua scripts in FG: -- /scripts/windowmanager.lua function onInit() Interface.onWindowOpened = onWindowOpened; Interface.onWindowClosed = onWindowClosed; end function onWindowOpened(window) local sourcename = ""; if window.getDatabaseNode() then sourcename = window.getDatabaseNode().getNodeName(); end if CampaignRegistry.windowpositions then if CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()] then if CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()][sourcename] then local pos = CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()][sourcename]; window.setPosition(pos.x, pos.y); window.setSize(pos.w, pos.h); end end end end function onWindowClosed(window) if not CampaignRegistry.windowpositions then CampaignRegistry.windowpositions = {}; end if not CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()] then CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()] = {}; end -- Get window data source node name local sourcename = ""; if window.getDatabaseNode() then sourcename = window.getDatabaseNode().getNodeName(); end -- Get window positioning data local x, y = window.getPosition(); local w, h = window.getSize(); -- Store positioning data local pos = {}; pos.x = x; pos.y = y; pos.w = w; pos.h = h; CampaignRegistry.windowpositions[window.getClass()][sourcename] = pos; end Granted, some parts of the code (such as the above file) just get copied and shared for all of the rulesets, but that level of fine detail for what's required makes customization a bit of a pain. You've even got to layout things like the turn order window (the one for Exalted that I wrote is 305 lines of XML).
ouch, that does seem like a lot of work :-s
I'm sure the roll20 team could make a much simpler html/css layout creator, even if it was just a theme change.
Yes creating themes would be easy i think... I mean nothing fancy... just basic colors and images would do wonders for the game.
Heilemann said: Shamelessly plugging my The One Ring and Trail of Cthulhu themes. And yeah, creating a rulesets for Fantasy Grounds... That way lies madness. Not to mention, it's only on Windows. Ooh, thanks for that. Also added my vote here!
That would be super great! If you are spending a lot of time looking at something it better be good looking and I can't say that about the default roll20 theme. Isn't it so much better?&nbsp;<a href="http://imgur.com/a/f2X7W" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/a/f2X7W</a>
This is good stuff. You are a visionary and a scholar. I can't +1 this more than once.
Man i would love to have some UI options

Edited 1481358510
ether give us a template we can work with and insert are own images for it, or have it as a subscriber feature with site loaded presets.
Hello, First I would like to say that I love the functionality of roll20.net. Would it be possible though to allow some custom themes to the UI to make it feel more fantasy/adventure oriented? It may seem unneccessary for playing the game and that is true but certain people (my wife included) would not play a game using it because it's not pretty. Some simple borders and shades of color to the UI would be fantastic. Thanks! John Hill
Just a couple of site presets would be awesome if all else is too much work. Like a fantasy, a sci-fi and a horror theme, additionally to t he default one. :)
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This would be great if users also had access to a CSS editor or something to create their own themes, sort of like how we do with character sheets and API scripts. Similarly, we could have a library containing a repository of user-made themes.
Editing the overall look of the games would go a long way Im certain. One of the fist things I heard from new players joining games was that the UI is really uninspired. I sure thats stemming from being system agnostic. But the ability to change it would be welcome!.&nbsp; +1

Edited 1532702415
While using Stylus (stay away from Stylish...Stylus is a fork of it) is great, I'd like all of my players to see the same theme.&nbsp; I too am an FG vet, but I never dipped my toes into writing a ruleset *shiver*.&nbsp; However, it was cool to be able to customize that VTT.&nbsp; A few pre-defined CSS layouts to choose from would be awesome.&nbsp; Also, a way to get away from the glaring whiteness would be great too.&nbsp; Thanks! +1
This sounds awesome, would like to see this implemented as a feature. +1
Daniel S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
+1 please. This would be a huge game changer.
+10 I want this!
+1 that would be amazing
Some presets would be really nice indeed...
+1
+1
I host a Star Wars EoE by FFG, it would be pretty cool to have like a metallic, scifi UI for it.
+1
+10 for this. Every time I see how nice DnD Beyond looks like in videos, I get jealous and regretful investing into roll20 instead.&nbsp;
+1 for sure!! We need this!!
Syd
Sheet Author
Or at least dark mode so after 5 hours of looking at it my eyes don't want to drop out.&nbsp;
Dark mode is a must have on 2021. I'm sad to not see this option on Roll20
FYI, Dark Mode is a separate suggestion that you might want to add a vote to: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6835578/dark-mode-roll20-so-bright" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6835578/dark-mode-roll20-so-bright</a>
+1! I would even purchase some Author made skins and GUI change for 2€ to share with my players. Just throwing it out there...
Would love to have it, +1
+1
+1
Gold
Forum Champion
More colorful customization options will be great. Empower the GM to characterize and present their campaign style and genre putting Roll20 into various diverse lights +1
I would love to be able to buy new skins in the Marketplace. And new character sheet appearances. I hate how the 5e character sheet looks and outputs.