Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Viewing of unseen tokens & tiles

(Excuse my poor English, it's no native to me). The problem I want to talk is that: tokens and tiles assumed unseen can be easily viewed via browser tools. I was looking through the resources of the page app.roll20.net/editor/ to see the art pieces in the original size (always do this because messing about with the scale bar causes massive lag), used Chrome – Developer Tools. As a result, got some nasty spoilers of the hidden enemies =_= Maybe something should be done to prevent showing assumably unseen tokens & tiles?

Edited 1415968887
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
When you say they are hidden, do you mean they are on the GM Layer, on a different page, or hidden by the line of sight/Dynamic Lighting? (And I assume this is when you are logged in as a player?) In theory if it's one of the first two (the GM Layer or on a different page), it shouldn't load in those resources via the Dev Tools (let me know if that's not the case). However, for things that you would be able to see via Dynamic Lighting but can't yet see, it does have to load in those resources ahead of time in order to render the page. In theory that's because if it's on a different page or the GM Layer the GM has to perform an action to show it to you, whereas with the Dynamic Lighting layer you could move your piece and see it at any time. Basically, it's a balancing act between sending you the resources you need to render stuff quickly that you could see at any time, versus not wanting to send the client resources for things until we absolutely have to. My only other thought is that most players/people aren't going to be opening up the Developer Tools. But if you're really, really paranoid about making sure that players don't see the graphic of an enemy ahead of time or something like that, just keep it on the GM Layer or a different page until you're ready to reveal it.
Thanks for the really quick answer, Mr.D: you made it clear with the "balancing" concept, and maybe I wasn't right. The exact things I've seen that weren't for my eyes (as player) were – not only part of the map covered by GM (his account is free, I suppose he can't use Dynamic Light option), but also (considered DM) another level of that map , no part of which was meant to be revealed at the time. And tokens, tokens of the enemies ahead : ( Could it be a technical misconduct of dealing DM layer, we'll take the thing into consideration from now on. – And yes, you got it absolutely right: a bit paranoic about metagaming. Thanks for making the whole thing clear, sorry to take your time.