Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Inventory Hand Out system

I'm in the middle of making an inventory hand out system for my group that both myself and the PC's can interact with. I have come up with a hand out system that I am yet to implement into a game. it looks a little like this. (the dashes are there because you cant copy an empty cell into the hand outs, you can remove them after you have pasted in however I left in to show how it is made in excel or open office) - [Name] Inventory - - Carry Capacity - - Light. 10 X STR ? - Medium. 20 X STR ? - Heavy / Max. 50 X STR ? - - - - Slot / Packed Where Item Weight (x1) Total Coin Purse [Coin Purse] - - Back Pack [Alchemy Book] - - Back Pack [Ritual Book] - - Back Pack [Spell Book] - - Back Pack [Prayer Book] - - Worn Chain Mail 40 lbs. 40 lbs. Belt (3) Dagger 1 lbs. 3 lbs. Back Pack (10) Trail Rations 1 lbs. 1 lbs. - - - - TOTAL - Name Total Weight - - - - - [Mount] Riding Horse – Donny - - - Type - - [Transport] Cart / Wagon - - - Deeds etc. - - [Holdings] - - - - Where - - [Banked] Fallcrest - You can see the first few slots are a coin purse and some books. The books will link to a separate hand out which gives the player a list of Alchemy potions if you click on Alchemy, rituals if you click on rituals and spells and prayers if you click on spells and prayers. Below that the player has listed a few items, their weights and where they have packed the item or if they are currently wearing it. You can write "Head slot" in the "slot / packed where" if the item is a head slot or "neck slot" if it is a neck slot etc. The Listed items linked with the brackets will link to hand outs for Alchemy, spells rituals etc as well as coins. a sample of which is below. - [Name] Coin Purse - - Coin - - - - - - - [0] AD 1/500 lbs. - - [0] PP 1/50 lbs. - - [0] GP 1/50 lbs. - - [0] SP 1/50 lbs. - - [0] CP 1/50 lbs. - - - - - - Gems - - - - - - - 100GP - - - [0] Amber 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Amethyst 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Garnet 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Moonstone 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Jade 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Pearl 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Peridor 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Turquoise 1/500 lbs. - - 500GP - - - [0] Alexandrite 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Aquamariene 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Place Pearl 1/500 lbs. - - Topaz 1/500 lbs. - - 1000 GP - - - [0] Emerald 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Fire Opal 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Sapphire 1/500 lbs. - - 5000 GP - - - [0] Diamond 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Jacinth 1/500 lbs. - - [0] Ruby 1/500 lbs. - Something similar will go with mounts, transport, holdings, banked and anything else that needs to be added in the future. This is very much an Alpha build of this and an update will be given in the future with all the Separate hand outs that are needed to go into this system. I'm posing it here now because I'd Like some feed back to see if there is anything I can do to make it look nicer or prettier in the long run. Thanks for reading, I'd love some feedback. -Papercutt.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That's quite detailed! As for feedback, "when you have a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" so I look at this and see API solutions. :)
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
It helps when your particular hammer is the API! It's more like a Swiss Army hammer. For feedback on the handouts I'd definitely add some images, they're much easier to parse quickly. Perhaps this would be a good source for them: <a href="http://game-icons.net/" rel="nofollow">http://game-icons.net/</a>
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
It also helps when someone like The Aaron is effectively Thor wielding Mjolnir. :&gt;
Hammer? More like a sonic screwdriver. But yes papercutt that looks really cool and would love to see more work done on it, or to be able to test it out.

Edited 1417583927
I spend about 3 hours on it today, and I came up with a series of links for the PC on their character sheet. These can be removed for the player if they don't want them but ''inventory'' and ''coin purse'' Will stay for easy use. the top 4 links are links to hand outs which show the players prices of various Items, like adventure kits and climbing kits in Adventuring gear. Armor in armor, Tailor for different occasions like a ball or maybe a disguise where you can buy clothes. And finally Weapons under weapons. The next 4 links are a quest book which the DM and players can update with major, minor and quests, they can also mark quests as (NOT) for not doing or (DONE) For done. Time, which just tells players what relative Time it is. Date gives the PC's the date in which the adventure takes place, and Rumors, where the PC's can list all the juicy rumors the bartender tells them after a pint. After that we have a few various links like to an Alchemy book which will give the player a list of potions they can create, spell book for wizards and a prayer book for paladins and a ritual book. Here we have a coin purse, all the units of currency and the gems have links to pictures of what they look like. I have a few more things to do, like making the hand outs for the books and adding in links for holdings and banked items. This is all for 4e however could be easily tweaked for pathfinder or 5e.
Or any game. This is a great method! Thank you for sharing!

Edited 1417863567
I have finished after about 30-50hours of fiddling around with several different systems. I'm set on one I like and I'm going to beta test it with a game I am running. Below is an over view of a character sheet of a new person in my group called DORN. There is a Players handbook on the top left hand side and on the right is a link to his myth weavers sheet which is what I like to use when I run games. The next row is Holdings, this is a sheet shared by players where they can list what homes and businesses they own. An inventory sheet, and a coin purse sheet which I will go over later. The last line is Banked, where players dump their loot at a safe house they can bank it here, this is a universal sheet which links to separate sheets for ddifferentplaces they might stay IE Fallcrest Silver unicorn inn might have 400GP worth of gear in it while the players are in Hammerfast renting a room to dump 200GP worth of gear. A ritual book which links to all the 4e Rituals and an alchemy book which does the same for potions and other items like that. Then you see a place for rituals, and below that a place for powers. PHB PHB took the longest amount of time, snipping my PDF's for all relevant info for players. As did the Alchemy book.... however the ritual book links to D&D4e wiki as I had grown tired of snipping PDFs (I would recommend external links to websites to save time) The Holdings and the banked pages currently have nothing on them, as my players haven't progressed far enough to buy any homes or businesses, and they are yet to dump any gear in the safe house. The premise for the Holdings will just be a list of homes and businesses with the businesses having extra slots for income and possible upgrades for stores that would generate more income. On the actual inventory page you can see the players carry capacity. You can also see links to d"Adventuring gear" "Armor" "Tailor" and "Weapons" these are different categories where you can see items that you are buying or selling. each table has a buy price and the sell price is usually 50% less the purchase price. Below that you can see "quests" which is a quest book that shows players what hey need to do, "Time" which gives players the time of day, "Date" gives the date and "Rumors" lets you know what rumors you have overheard. the coin purse is straight forward, a slot for every type of currency and the weight of a single item and what the weight of all combined is. at the bottom there is a total weight, and total wealth in GP section. The bottom of the inventory page links you to holdings and banked like the Character sheet page as well as Mounts, Barding and Transport. If you buy a horse (or several) they would show up here with a hand out with the name you gave them and it would list a few random characteristics about the new pet you have just bought, like maybe it doesn't like heavy loads... or maybe it smells like apples despite hating apples. EDIT there is one more link I forgot about which is trade items which will go in between transport and holdings. All in all this took about 30-50 hours give or take. There are a few things that need polishing and there are a ridiculous amount of hand outs and links that go into this... up to 200 but I lost count early on... but I think it looks good for a beta test, which I will be doing come this Friday.
Any one who would like to try it out can find it here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/600524/ZH_klA" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/600524/ZH_klA</a>
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You've done a LOT of work there Pappercut. Makes me glad that Pathfinder has an SRD that I can just link to, or copy/paste on a few handouts for quick access. I think it would be cool to see your inventory system incorporated into a character sheet. I assume the main advantage is the ability to quickly edit items and amounts between players...? Thanks for sharing.

Edited 1417911609
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm glad that I play a system that doesn't need that type of detail. It is an incredible amount of work and it looks awesome also.
Vince said: You've done a LOT of work there Pappercut. Makes me glad that Pathfinder has an SRD that I can just link to, or copy/paste on a few handouts for quick access. I think it would be cool to see your inventory system incorporated into a character sheet. I assume the main advantage is the ability to quickly edit items and amounts between players...? Thanks for sharing. That's the idea i started with, it escalated to what it is now because I just don't know when to stop lol. Working in charge of a stores inventory for 4 years makes this a walk in the park for me.
This is very time consuming, hope your players appreciate it. I honesty just make handouts for special gear, and my handouts just explode in size, but at least they're alphabetically sorted. Here's hoping the folder organization roll out resolves this.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: Makes me glad that Pathfinder has an SRD that I can just link to, or copy/paste on a few handouts for quick access. Makes me glad to have a D&D Insider account. I look stuff up in the Compendium almost every game session, and it's so much faster than searching a PDF. Vince said: I think it would be cool to see your inventory system incorporated into a character sheet. Maybe the Roll20 Compendium will fit that role. Riley said we'll have open licensed stuff like the SRD and PFSRD, plus whatever they can work out with publishers.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Brian said: Vince said: Makes me glad that Pathfinder has an SRD that I can just link to, or copy/paste on a few handouts for quick access. Makes me glad to have a D&D Insider account. I look stuff up in the Compendium almost every game session, and it's so much faster than searching a PDF. When I fire up for a 4e or Pathfinder game, I have something like 5 tabs open to the DDI compendium or 14 to the SRD (Massively multiclassed pathfinder character, so many tabs!) Brian also said: Vince said: I think it would be cool to see your inventory system incorporated into a character sheet. Maybe the Roll20 Compendium will fit that role. Riley said we'll have open licensed stuff like the SRD and PFSRD, plus whatever they can work out with publishers. What will make the Roll20 Compendium a hit is the ability to integrate it into games. If it is something that has to be looked up in another tab, I might as well just use the PFSRD, but if it can be accessed via API and harnessed *that way*, it would be utterly awesome. Going back to this specific inventory system, the hardest part is the setup, which he's already done. Maintaining it should be a breeze, if the players cooperate. I'll be keeping an eye on this, mulling over adding it to my 4e game during summer hiatus.
This is actually a genius idea which doesn't depend too much on the API and allows quick references to items. Can this be replicated to a character sheet? Eg linkable fields created?
I'm going to be releasing a final version for 4th edition for my Inventory hand out system in about a week or so's time... My weekly group spotted some bugs which I have been bashing out, and I am updating several things to make them look prettier... I will have a video up in the next 7 days detailing what goes into it.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Woo!
Long time coming (my bad I have a busier schedule than I thought lol) The top link is a video to what is in the inventory hand out system, and the bottom link is the link to the new campaign folder with the finished 4e product. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWnbi2XUPs" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsWnbi2XUPs</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/615754/-DL00g" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/615754/-DL00g</a>
Really outstanding work, but a damn shame it isn't for Pathfinder
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
You did good, Papercutt :&gt;
Thanks of the share Papercutt! Awesome and inspirational
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Cheers for the work you've put into this Papercut, but I'm so glad that PF has the srd online...