Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Different colors to dynamic lighting and light sources

So for example we can turn the overall "darkness" white so it is fog or snow. Or that if we have green crystals in a room let out a green light, fireplaces can be orange and etc.
I agree with this. Daytime Dynamic Lighting gives a dark feel to it because of the black LoS, if we could change the color we could achieve alot of different effects like Fog, Rain, maybe even time of day if we could change its opacity.
Looking forward to it. +1
I didn't see this before I posted my own suggestion for the same thing.  Definately gets my vote!
I really want this to make locations more magical. Got my vote! 
I shall second this suggestion!
Would be nice so that black and white maps are not as confusing when players encounter black walls.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
This +set colors for Fog of War
Definite  +1 on this!
I know nothing about how the engine is built, but it would be amazing if the Emits Light functionality had a color tint to it, this could make for some really interesting tone to the environment. +1 indeed.
I had a topic I posted but cant find, but I want this.  Blue fungas, red lighting, or a yellow glow.  I do not want the aura, it puts an overlay filter in a diameter contaminating all the icons with said color.
I agree with this I have been using The Aaron's Torch Api but I would like to be able to add colors to different items for example bio-luminescence fungi or magical crystals with different colors.  Would make for a really immersive game for our players.
You know what woild be wicked...if the GM could click a button to remove the colour from maps when a character is using darkvision. 
Fandango said: You know what woild be wicked...if the GM could click a button to remove the colour from maps when a character is using darkvision.  Filters. Totally achievable with  CSS .
I like this idea because I want to be able to use light on an outside map during daytime. I also tried to use lighting for a puzzle but the players couldnt see it because of their darkvision / torches light being the same brigtness.
Posting a bump and putting a vote on this, as I ran into a scenario where this would be really helpful for immersion. In the campaign the players are going into a military sci fi base and the power is going to cut out. When the power cuts out the "emergency" lights kick on, and it would be nice to replicate that low red light ambience on the game map.
Gold
Forum Champion
Scott R. said: Posting a bump and putting a vote on this, as I ran into a scenario where this would be really helpful for immersion. In the campaign the players are going into a military sci fi base and the power is going to cut out. When the power cuts out the "emergency" lights kick on, and it would be nice to replicate that low red light ambience on the game map. For a workaround on this scenario, Scott, try using the TINT feature on the background map. Tint it red or dark red and see if that gives somewhat of the appearance. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features#Tint_Color_" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features#Tint_Color_</a>...

Edited 1558631126
Bumped and upvoted! Also, can we combine these votes with the ones in this thread?
SᵃᵛᵃǤᵉ
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Could all of this be combined with varying opacity for vision blocking??
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
As mentioned in&nbsp; another thread , we are developing a version of the Lighting System built on&nbsp; WebGL ,&nbsp;which now has enough support to be viable for our supported browsers. This feature will be possible once that implementation is rolled out.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The conversion I mentioned in the last post is progressing, but not yet complete.&nbsp;
just to add - searched how to approximate daytime blizzard conditions (and wanted use dynamic lighting with white) but yeah green for fungus, blue/green/red for other illuminations would be dope. so plus 1
Chad
Plus
Sheet Author
Kenton said: The conversion I mentioned in the last post is progressing, but not yet complete.&nbsp; So, with the updates to A New Light, is this no longer obstructed?
My guess is that once A New Light is out of beta and the default Roll20 lighting system, the status for this suggestion will be updated.
This would be very cool. +1
I had also created a post to suggest this but was notified about this.&nbsp; Thanks Rabulias!&nbsp; Would love to see all Emits Light to have an option to choose a tint, same with FOW.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I will continue to knock the dust off this thread.&nbsp; +1 to this idea!
in multi height environments it would be awesome to have a dynamic lighting barrier than only blockled vision one way. eg: from uphill you can see over the crest, from downhill you cannot look up and into the reverse slope of same.
David G. (Tigrannosaurus) said: in multi height environments it would be awesome to have a dynamic lighting barrier than only blockled vision one way. eg: from uphill you can see over the crest, from downhill you cannot look up and into the reverse slope of same. Oh yes. One way vision blockers would be wonderful.
+1 and the new lighting beta stuff seems great so far. Really looking forward to being able to change the color of the dynamic lighting, this would be a very cool and welcome feature, hopefully it makes it in soon!
+1
+1 why isnt this already a thing
+1 Looking at Foundry and their lightning options, makes Roll20 seem a bit lacklustre.
David G. (Tigrannosaurus) said: in multi height environments it would be awesome to have a dynamic lighting barrier than only blockled vision one way. eg: from uphill you can see over the crest, from downhill you cannot look up and into the reverse slope of same. Holy heck yes. This is a HUGE limitation with dynamic lighting.
+1
+1 definitely! I need this in CoS to simulate the ever-present Mist!
I think this belongs here as well - but perhaps not: The ability to change the intensity of a light source. Even using dim light (which is really just feathering), the light sources that are used are either BLAZING at 100%, fully illuminating the designated radius, or pitch black. Atmospheric lighting, like say, from a candle, should be able to essentially be a semi-opaque version of a normal light.
Has this feature been added yet? +1
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
GM Joe said: Has this feature been added yet? +1 No, my understanding is that this is one of the suggestions waiting for the dynamic lighting to be totally migrated from canvas (legacy lighting) to webgl (updated lighting).&nbsp; If you scroll up, you can find that in the Dev posts in this thread.&nbsp; I don't expect to be seeing any movement on this until UDL is stable and they have removed legacy lighting.
You can to a simulation of this effect though,&nbsp; Make a token and give it night vision using the new dynamic lighting. This will give you an option of putting a color on the vision effect. make the area of effect whatever you want. and make the tokens effect visible to everyone. It will then light up the area in the color you want. If you don't want the token to be seen by the players though, I think you can move it to the dynamic lighting layer to keep it hidden and still have the lighting effect visible.&nbsp;
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We have a version of this on the Dev Server. Pro users can experiment, and anyone can see a mockup here .
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We just released support for Dynamic Lights to have a color value. Keys were also added to the Pro API to set the color values with custom API and One-Click Scripts.