Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5e NPC sheet

Edited 1418513137
I am new to being a GM and to Roll 20. I love the character sheets and find them very intuitive. The NPC sheet makes lots of sense, until I get to actions. I cannot seem to make the macro work on that. See my screen shots for what I put and the result when I use the macro. I would like to use the abilities macro like I do the weapons macro for my characters, but maybe it is not intended that way? If so, what is the intent of the macro beside the actions? In the meantime I created a macro in attributes and abilities tab and put: /roll 1d20+4 /roll 1d20+4 /roll 1d6+2 slashing damage This seems to work, but I feel like I am missing something that would make this easier. I have read the wiki on the 5e character sheets and find it very helpful.
Wes
Sheet Author
There is a hard return after "one", and before "target". Also you will have to replace the parentheses with the inline roll double bracket. [[1d20+4]] for the rolls to come through in the macro.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Wes has this spot on. The description and effect fields are simple text fields that are sent to chat when you use th macro. This means (and this is the same for all of the text fields in the npc sheet) if you add a manual line break in a field then the text that it is in it will be sent to the public say channel instead of being whispered to the GM. The 2 ways to prevent this are to either make sure that the data you enter in the fireld is all on one line, or if you want to start a new line to make it easier to read on the sheet make sure each new line starts with "/w GM " (without the quotes). Remember that this is only required if you have manually added a line break in the field....not if the line has automatically wrapped around on to the next line. Finally, to get rolls in any of these fields you need to enclose any rolls in double square brackets. You can add as many of these rolls as you like. So for example the following is completely valid - This is a test roll [[1d20+5]] and so is this [[1d8-1]]
This thread was a big help to me in figuring out the 5e NPC char sheet, which is not as well annotated as the PC version. Thanks, Team!!
By the way, thank you so much for your replies. They helped me enormously to figure out what I was doing.
I was searching for an explanation about this for hours yesterday! I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm also having a couple problems with token actions not doing the math properly when attacking against player AC. I'm using as an ability roll1d20+4>@{target|AC} and I get a return "1d20+4>16+floor(0.004)+0+2+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0" To solve this I had to create a new attribute which I just named "armorclass" and I manually inserted the correct value and now it works fine, but I'm just very curious what the problem is with the original attribute. I will have to add this "armorclass" attribute to all of my player tokens when I should just be able to use the built in "AC" attribute. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1420139792
It does something similar [to above post] when I try to use /roll 1d20+@{dexterity_mod} for an initiative roll. If I use /roll 1d20+@{initiative} it returns a real value but doesn't use the number from the "Total" column (which includes the Dex bonus), it only uses the number from the "Initiative bonus" column which is usually 0... This is referencing the NPC sheet, not the character sheet.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
On the initiative question - For player initiative - The value you want to use for manually adding your initiative bonus (that would be any bonus you have entered + your dex mod) is "initiative_overall". This has the combined dex mod and manually entered bonus. The "initiative" attributerefers only to the manually entered bonus For npc initiative the attributes have the same names as the player versions but with "npc_" at the start of them On the targeting other stats issue - This fails due to the Order of Operations the roll20 dice system has As such, this is a limitation of the Roll20 system rather than a problem with the attribute/sheet
Brandon W. said: I'm also having a couple problems with token actions not doing the math properly when attacking against player AC. I'm using as an ability roll1d20+4>@{target|AC} and I get a return "1d20+4>16+floor(0.004)+0+2+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0+0+floor(0.001)+0" Hey, to fix that, you can just evaluate the AC, so say roll 1d20 > [[ @{target|AC} ]], and it will compute the sum for you.

Edited 1420147234
One more possible bug on the char sheet - the wiki page for the 5e sheet says that in the Spellbook any info keyed into the effects tab will show up with the damage roll macro or the healing roll macro. The effects are indeed showing up with the healing roll macro, but are not there with the damage roll. Thanks so much for the other replies - I'm slowly but surely getting all this, haha.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Aha, nice workaround Theo! Because the inline rolls are evaluated first that should work fine :)
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Brandon W. said: One more possible bug on the char sheet - the wiki page for the 5e sheet says that in the Spellbook any info keyed into the effects tab will show up with the damage roll macro or the healing roll macro. The effects are indeed showing up with the healing roll macro, but are not there with the damage roll. Logged an issue on my github repo to fix it...thx for the report! <a href="https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/issues/75" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Actoba/roll20-character-sheets/issues/75</a>
Didn't know where else to post this topic to gain the intended attention, but seeing as this thread is simply called "D&D 5e NPC sheet", I figured it's a well enough start. I'm new to roll20 and I am starting to build a campaign, albeit slowly. I'm building up my monster database and noticed there isn't a field for burrowing speed. Hopefully, this reaches the necessary eyes for an adjustment. Would be nice to not have to put my burrowing speeds in some other field whilst all the other movement speeds have all their own cozy homes. Thank you.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Steve, I'll see if i can squeeze it in to the NPC sheet on the next release. :)

Edited 1420928798
Ryan
Plus
Perhaps I've missed it somewhere, but have any of you noticed the Multiattack bug if you select the same row\attack(NPCAction1 for attack, NPCAction1 for Multi)? For example, my NPC is able to use a sword(NPCAction1) attack twice. However, I believe this triggers the Multiattack repetatively and presumably hits a cap before outputting a bunch of results. I had to created a second NPCAction (NPCAction3) for the multiattack to prevent the loop. Apologies if this has been covered. And technically, it's not a bug since the logic makes sense and I'm not sure there is a way to integrate this in to the sheet.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Ryan - I'm not sure I follow what the issue you are describing is. The sheet itself has no ability to loop or repetitively trigger anything. The way the multiattack options work on the NPC sheet right now simply decide whether the output for an attack outputs the "Multiattack : No" or "Multiattack : "the text you have in the mutliattack text box&gt;" line when you use it, or not. The intent was to remind you that this particular attack is part of the potential multi attack options a NPC/monster may have. Are you perhaps using a roll or reference to another attribute or macro in the multiattack filed at the top of the NPC Actions section?
You guys are amazing. I have almost no understanding of programming, but I copy the things you suggest and they work! Here is what I am putting in my NPC Description field for a short bow: "Rolls [[1d20+4]] [[1d20+4]] vs AC, range 80/320 ft., one target. Target AC= [[ @{target|AC} ]]". I then put "[[1d6+2]] piercing damage. Plus [[1d6]] if a crit." in the effect field. So far it is working pretty smoothly. I like being able to speed up combat. Thanks so much for all the replies to my post and the ideas.
Matthew and All, I am knew to Roll20 so trying to figure this out. In the description, I know what to put, but where in the sheet do you put the information you are talking about and how do you input it to make sense? Appreciate in advance
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Den G - Give us an example of what you are trying to achieve and i'm sure we can help you out.
I am trying to figure out how to use the NPC actions in the game. I see the string above with Matt C. "Rolls [[1d20+4]] [[1d20+4]] vs AC, range 80/320 ft., one target. Target AC= [[ @{target|AC} ]]". I then put "[[1d6+2]] piercing damage. Plus [[1d6]] if a crit. I am trying to figure out the best way to input a single action in the action field and a multi action (Owlbear attack). What goes in description? how does it play out, same for effect....etc.
I am using the action to give the dialogue, but wanted it to be a macro for the NPC if I can. Another thing that I am curious about. I am using the standard macro for 'attack'...when I am using an NPC and hit 'roll' it gives me the dialogue blocks. I know I am just learning the new....stuff..but what are they expecting me to put in 'description'?

Edited 1424085526
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
For the NPC actions section - Name - Just give the action whatever name you want. ie. Longsword, Shocking Grasp, Fireball, Fire breath, Heavy Crossbow, etc... Action type - Pick what kind of action this is from the drop down list Multiattack - Is this one of the attacks a NPC/monster can use with it's multiattack feature. So if a monster has a multiattack that allows it to Claw, Claw, Bite as a single action and you are adding the Claw data you would pick Yes here. If it was something not on the multiattack list then you select no. All this does is include the multiattack text in the macro output for this action...or not....it doesnt actually perform the multiattack for you. Description - Depending on your needs this can either be some flavour text (ie. "The dragon's belly rumbles and a blast of fire scorches everyone in front of it") or it can be something more mechanical (ie. "Dragon fire breath, 60ft cone, anything flammable not carried or worn is set on fire")....or of course you can combine the two. Effect - Normally used for the actual rolls/outcome of the action such as the attack rools, saving throw details, and any additional effects. See examples below I've included an example below of some of the actions i've added for an Adult Blue Dragon that should hopedully give you an idea of how you can use the NPC actions section. remember though that all output from here is whispered to the GM, and that the larger areas (Description/Effect) can be used however you see fit. The are deliberately kept generic/flexible for the moment. Also bear in mind that the outptut from the macros will be greatly improved with the next sheet update!
Thanks for sending. Based on what you sent regarding the Affect' scripts, do they display them in the dialogue box for you to click to execute or does it roll automatically
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Anything in double square brackets will be rolled when you use the macro button - For example [[ 1d20+5 ]] The best advice i can give you is to try some of the examples that have been posted here. This should make it easier to understand how to use the sheet
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Where can I find the 5E NPC sheet? I didn't even know there was one.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Patrick Von Raven said: Where can I find the 5E NPC sheet? I didn't even know there was one. Upper left hand corner there is a radio button that toggles to PC/NPC.

Edited 1424112006
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Patrick - At the very top left of the sheet theres a button you can click to toggle between the player and NPC sheet. The NPC sheet is pretty bare bones though. I havent really had the time to flesh it out at all....still i think it's somewhat useful if you are comfortable working with macros and so on. Edit - Bah ninja'd!
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I found it, thanks!
Thanks Actoba.
Actoba, I set up the NPC. When I select Multi attack, it shows none in the chat windows. See below.
@Den G. - If you look above the action there is a text field underneath the multi-attack header. Whatever you put in the multi-attack text will appear whenever multiattack is set to yes in the action.
@Kevin That is the point, It doesn't display correctly. I select 'yes' and it displays'none'.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
@Den - Setting multiattack to "Yes" simply displayes whatever you have entered in the multiattack field at the top of the NPC actions section. In your screenshot it is still set to the default "None". Change it to something like "Claw, Claw, Bite" or " Makes 2 great axe attacks" and try the macro again
@Actoba, Found it. Thanks,
@Actoba Two things, a recommendation for the actions in the character sheet. Wish there was a check box on the sheet that allowed it to be a token action. 2nd - to make them a token action, I put the script in the abilities and attributes and added it. When I close them, they disappear, but the action is still a token action button.....but can no longer modify the action in the character sheet. What am I doing wrong?
Never mind about the 2nd, when I logged out and logged back in I could see the abilities I had added again.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Den G. said: @Actoba Two things, a recommendation for the actions in the character sheet. Wish there was a check box on the sheet that allowed it to be a token action. This is not possible within the current Roll20 system
Bummer, then how do you recommend using the sheet rolls during the game to keep the flow going? Meaning, how do I use the attack use functions without spending quite a bit of time opening and closing the NPC sheets looking at the map, and/or scrolling up and down.
@Den G. - If you are filling the sheets out manually you could create a template sheet that has all of the roll button macros created on the Ability portion of the Attributes and Abilities tab. Then when you create a new monster, you simply copy the template. This way you have all of the token action rolls you could need. If you were a mentor there are scripts that can be made that will automatically create Ability macros for you. I have quite a few of these created for my campaign.
Ok, to give you what I am thinking of doing. Having a second screen where I pull the NPC sheet I am using, to get to the 'actions' to use. Making macro actions for each of the characters in the attributes and abilities tab. I am struggling with a template macros that takes their proficiency bonus from the sheet, with strength bonus, then uses ?(2d8) adding in damage modifiers from their sheet. Suggestions? I was reading some other stuff of yours regarding the token, character map...with copy and paste tokens. Can I import maps with tokens from one campaign to another? I would hate to create tokens for every campaign after importing the NPC sheets.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
The screenshot below shows what I do. I have one journal entry called "NPC_Template" and qhwn i create a new monster or NPC i start by making a duplicate of this one and then updating it. The token actions are already setup in the attributes and abilities tab and all i need to do for each new monster/npc is check/uncheck the box to show each action as a token action and update the name of it.
I tried putting the scripts that you had in the above. I renamed the title what the title was for action one but it gave me these errors. I am sure it is a naming convention that is different from the sheet for the script, but not sure what is going on.
Also, do you have a script that would also do the same for a character sheet?
Ok, fixed with 'selected'...I will see if I can do the same for a character sheet.
@Den G. - I sent you a PM on the forums here. If you are interested in having a session I can walk you through how I use many of the mentor features and try to answer any of your basic use case questions to help with the learning curve a bit. Just let me know via PM.
@Actoba,,after playing around with the characters, this is what I came up with. %{selected|MeleeAttack1} %{selected|MeleeDamage1}
Did the below for character sheets and it seems to work well. Am going to set up a template %{selected|MeleeAttack1} %{selected|MeleeDamage1} %{selected|RangeAttack1} %{selected|RangeDamage1}
@Kevin, that would be awesome. I need to go buy a headset....Would you be available next weekend?
@Den G. - Sure, just send a Private Message (via the forums, available in the menu where it says Welcome, Den G.) and we can work to get a time setup.
Actoba
Pro
Sheet Author
Den G. said: Did the below for character sheets and it seems to work well. Am going to set up a template %{selected|MeleeAttack1} %{selected|MeleeDamage1} %{selected|RangeAttack1} %{selected|RangeDamage1} To be clear - The macros above are on the Player section of the sheet. These are all detailed on the wiki page for the sheet - <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/DnD5e_Character_Sheet</a> The macros on my screenshot are for the NPC section of the sheet. The output from these are only sent to the GM in a whisper. Players do not see the output.