Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM Question Corner

This thread will be for questions for the GM that have been answered previously and for those that have not yet been answered. This will ensure that if we do have something that comes up in play we have a source which we can look back on and and point to. This is also a place where we can keep homebrew rules if any have to be made. If a question of yours has been answered previously and hasn't been noted, please feel free to post what you recall of it up here.
Below is my recent discourse with the editor, Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch. First, we tackled Flying Attack, which he confirmed we used correctly in play. Stripe: Using those rules, on the turn of a character with Move 6 who runs 6 hexes, he can now jump using Flying Attack for farther distance? Kromm: Yes. Stripe: So, the character with Move 6 can run 6 hexes then use a Flying Attack to jump 2 more hexes, is that correct? Kromm: All absolutely as intended. I then led Kromm through Valter's Delay/Maintain scenario step by step making sure we have everything 100% RAW, and he conquered. Then, I summed it all up, but left out mention of casting on an item, because we had not yet devised that solution when I sent the e-mail. Stripe: Now, say the warrior who has had Grate Haste cast on him goes off to battle. The Delay's triggering event is, "The warrior speaks the word, 'Abracadabra!'" The wizard sits in his armchair at home. The warrior can speak the word, "Abracadabra," and Grate Hast would then take effect on the warrior's next turn, correct? Kromm: Correct. A normal person could hear the word "Abracadabra," so that's an acceptable trigger. There would be a one-second wait for activation. Both conditions are as per the Delay spell. Stripe: If so, what modifiers, if any would apply to the roll for Grate Haste? Kromm: I'd say -2: -1 for Maintain Spell and -1 for Delay. In effect, the energy pool powering Maintain Spell is a "virtual wizard" with two spells to worry about: Maintain Spell and Delay. Stripe: The only issue I saw was that Delay states: "This spell is cast on another spell to delay its activation until a certain thing happens in the linked spell’s presence – that is, in the presence of the item or area on which the linked spell was cast." Kromm: The spell is annoyingly worded. The intent was that Delay be cast on an inanimate object or an area, not a person, and that the object or area then casts Delay's subject spell on a subject near the item or in the area. But the wizard could just cast on an amulet hanging around the warrior's neck! All this does is introduce a minor material components requirement. As you can see, he came to the exact same conclusion we did. We can simply cast all the spells on an item. The catch-all: Stipe: Rules as written and canonically speaking, is this contrivance completely legal? Kromm: See above. The main downside is that Maintain Spell won't last forever; it maintains Delay in 10-hour chunks. Any given chunk is cheap for a skilled mage, but even a week is 17 intervals. The lesser downsides are the Great Haste roll being made at -2 (Maintain Spell and Delay) instead of at -1 (just Delay) and the need for an item that could be lost or stolen. The wizard is also at -1 (Great Haste) for a long time because he can't end a Delay that's no longer his. Now, about Knight's training costs: Stripe: In a Dungeon Fantasy game using the training costs from The Next Level , p. 43, how does one assess costs for Knights who may use points during battle to increase melee skills? Kromm: One doesn't! Training costs are for training , not for spontaneous improvement. That's one of the knight's upsides. Stripe: They still must pay $20 to improve those skills, right? Kromm: No. The cash cost isn't for the right to spend earned points but for the training needed to spend earned points. Since knights don't need that training for combat skills, they don't need to spend the cash. Archie's question about standing I included: Stripe: If a leg is crippled in combat, can the victim stand after falling? Can the victim kneel? Kromm: No and no. "You can still fight if you assume a sitting or lying posture" rules out kneeling or standing, while "you have the Lame (Missing Legs) disadvantage" points to p. B141, where it says, "Using crutches or a peg leg, you can stand up and walk slowly." I guess if you happened to have crutches handy, you could stand and fight at Move 2 and -6 to DX and skills. However, p. B421 does not say, "you have the Lame (Crippled Legs) disadvantage," which would give better mobility. Another question that arose while skirmishing with Archie: Stripe: Along those same lines, can a character with a crippled leg in combat use Giant Step, p. MA131? Can a person sitting or prone or crawling or in other postures use this option? Kromm: Giant Step buys an extra step. As long as you are capable of taking a step in the first place, you can use that option. Someone with Lame (Crippled Legs), or who's prone or crawling, can step; he's just slow. Someone who's sitting would be out of luck! (Even then, the kind GM might allow Giant Step to add one step to "no steps," allowing someone to step once when he normally couldn't step at all.) Lastly, I asked about enchanting with Low-Tech locations: Stripe: When mixing enchanting by armor location rules in Magic , p. 66, with the new hit locations from Low-Tech , how is one to determine cost and energy? Kromm: There's no canonical answer. Still, you could add up the percentages in Low-Tech – head (30%), neck (5%), torso (100%), arms (50%), hands (10%), legs (100%), and feet (10%) – to get 305% of the weight on the Armor Table for a "full suit," and then use (percentage)/3.05 instead of the numbers on p. 66 of Magic. Skull (20%) would be 20/3.05 =6.6% instead of 5%, arms would be 50/3.05 = 16.4% instead of 15%, and so on. Then you could use the same principle for new locations; e.g., knees (5%) would be 5/3.05 = 1.6%. I understand that there are still questions on the table, but that was by far enough for one e-mail. We'll get other questions sorted in due time.
Sweet! Just one thing: Maintain Spell is a Lasting spell, not a Temporary spell, so it should not count as a "spell on" according to p. M10. This is really easy to overlook. Glad my combo got the "Kromm seal of approval".
I found the reference for the size of a fireball, if that comes up again.
Q. Does Kiai affect golems and undead? A. Yes. The skill's description on p. B203 specifically states it channels the attacker's own internal chi into an external force. In Marital Arts , p. 11, chi is described as a force that can be projected to move or shatter objects, and "objects" are clearly nonliving. So, the monster need not have chi to be affected. Also, Kiai does not count as any type of mind control—objects are both nonliving and unintelligent. Kiai won't affect a berserk character, but other than that, I can think of no canonical trait that would make a character immune.  Regardless that in our excitement we erroneously called a 4 rolled in a Quick Contest a critical success, I'm glad we decided to allow Kiai to work against the Wall Master. It doesn't fit well with my concept of how the skill should work, but it appears that it does work against the nonliving.
Mark W. asks: In DF 11 it mentions that a Bard could purchase Bard-Song talent instead of Bardic Talent and would receive no bonus to spells. A page later it talks about Bard Songs and that they require Bardic Talent and the level of that advantage determines how powerful the Bard Songs will be. My questions: Can Bard-Song Talent COMPLETELY replace Bardic Talent when it comes to Bard Songs? Could a Bard start with Bard-Song Talent only? PK responds to that with this: Yes and yes. If a bard has Bard-Song Talent, read every "Bardic Talent <X>" prerequisite as "Bard-Song Talent <X>," because the latter completely replaces the former for all purposes except  spellcasting.
I'm sure this Kromm patch will be in effect for Season Three: <a href="http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=720045&po" rel="nofollow">http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=720045&po</a>... Flash Regular Creates a brilliant flash of light. This may affect anyone who's facing the flash or its reflection with his eyes open (GM's decision, if not using a battle map). The caster himself is unaffected if he closes his eyes as he casts the spell. Others must make a HT roll – including the caster's allies, unless he shouts a warning (which others may hear!) or they can see him and have Absolute Timing. Modifiers: Any bonus for eye protection or Protected Vision; -3 within 10 yards, no modifier at 11-25 yards, or +3 at 26+ yards (like an Affliction beyond 1/2D range); if the flash is reflected, use the total distance to and from whatever it bounced off, and add +3 if that's something like light-colored walls or foliage rather than an actual mirror such as ice, metal armor, or water. Failure means a DX penalty (also reduces all DX-based skills) equal to margin of failure, lasting for 1 minute. Treat failure by 10+, or any critical failure, as blindness instead. Cost: 4. Time to cast: 2 seconds. Prerequisite: Continual Light.
Stripe: &nbsp;About no mana zones and Mana Enhancer for blocking spells . . . What if a character with Mana Enhancer 1 was standing in a no mana zone when a second character attacked—could the first character use a blocking spell? Certainly, something like Iron Arm would work, but what about Command? What about Fumble? What about Return Missile? Kromm: The spell could be cast as though in low mana (or better, with ME 2+). However, it would only be useful if the subject were within the radius of ME, too, because you can't cast spells on people in no-mana areas! As p. 6 of Magic says, no one can use magic in a no-mana zone, and spells other than permanent ones are instantly dispelled there. This won't ever matter for Iron Arm or Return Missile or Turn Blade, which stop attacks just before they hit. But Command and Fumble typically affect a more distant subject, which necessitates Area Effect on ME. Stripe: &nbsp;Character A is carrying Character B. Character B gets shot at by an arrow. What are Character B's defense options and modifiers? What are Character A's options for defending Character B against the attack, if any? Kromm: Character B is grappled and can defend like anybody else who's grappled; see Defense While Grappling (Martial Arts, p. 121). It doesn't matter that Character A is friendly. Character A would defend as if against an attack on a weapon (p. B401). The encumbrance of somebody else's weight would likely make dodging less effective, while the relevant basis for a parry would be DX or a grappling skill. Stripe:&nbsp; Character A has Flight. What, if anything, does encumbrance have to do with takeoff or Air Move? What if the character has Cannot Hover? Kromm: Encumbrance affects Air Move like any other Move. There are no special rules for this. Move is Move, and encumbrance always affects it. Stripe: &nbsp;Can a missile created by a missile spell, such as Fireball or Stone Missile, continue through a NMZ? If a person is standing in a NMZ, can they be struck by a fireball created by a fireball spell? What if a mage is holding a charged missile spell and walks into a no mana zone? What if the mage passes the hand holding the charged missile spell through the zone? Kromm: A Missile spell has real, physical existence once it's launched; it can pass through no-mana zones and affect people there. (This is the answer to an ancient FAQ!) Carrying a Missile spell through such a zone dispels it instantly, just like any other spell, because it's a temporary spell "on" up until it's launched. Stripe: &nbsp;Does Compartmentalized Mind grant more than one blocking spell for defense (e.g., Mindwarper)? Kromm: No. It grants multiple mental maneuvers, exactly like the write-up says, and defenses aren't maneuvers. Mindwarpers work differently because they aren't using magic, but a weird ability that allows extra parries. This "just works" because we like Dungeon Fantasy monsters to do what they do without the complication of points and ability builds. But Thaumatology: Magical Styles, p. 23, offers a perk for those who want to get into casting multiple Blocking spells. Stripe :&nbsp; Magic, p. 8, and Basic, p. 237, states that for characters with a base skill of at least 15, "You are allowed to move one yard per second while taking the Concentrate maneuver." Is this a notice from the Department of Redundancy Department, just another minor legacy issue, or can those with skill 14 or less not take a step while taking a Concentrate maneuver? Along those same lines, if a mage has Move 10, can he step 2 hexes while Concentrating? Kromm: The specific always supersedes the general in GURPS. In general, Concentrate allows a step. For magic in particular, the step is only allowed at skill 15+. If you can take the step, it's whatever size your Move and other abilities normally allow.

Edited 1492637351
Stripe: When mixing enchanting by armor location rules in Magic , p. 66, with the new hit locations from Low-Tech , how is one to determine cost and energy? Kromm: There's no canonical answer. Still, you could add up the percentages in Low-Tech – head (30%), neck (5%), torso (100%), arms (50%), hands (10%), legs (100%), and feet (10%) – to get 305% of the weight on the Armor Table for a "full suit," and then use (percentage)/3.05 instead of the numbers on p. 66 of Magic. Skull (20%) would be 20/3.05 =6.6% instead of 5%, arms would be 50/3.05 = 16.4% instead of 15%, and so on. Then you could use the same principle for new locations; e.g., knees (5%) would be 5/3.05 = 1.6%. Players, round up. So, torso armor that weighs 20 lbs. normally would weigh 15 lbs. after a first-level lighten spell ( Magic , p. 67), the energy cost for which be 100 normally, divided by 3.05 =&nbsp;32.78688 = 33 energy (and $33).

Edited 1490683510
Q: How much do healing spells cost in town? A: &nbsp; Kromm: I'd charge $1/energy point for anything that a lone caster could manage with one spell without leaving himself a staggering mess or suffering injury (let's call it 10 energy points). Remember that minor-but-permanent magic items go for this rate! Healing in town isn't meant to be a major expense for delvers. The controls on healing in DF pertain to how much of it the PCs can manage in the dungeon, away from safety . . . which is why healing potions and scrolls are so costly. For things that would require circles of casters or other mass magic – like Resurrection spells – I would simply charge the rates for "charged scrolls" found in DF 4. That comes to $50/energy point, or half what a charged, universal scroll would cost (thus, buyers of the latter can't profit by undercutting the temple). So a simple cost schedule might be: Temple of Imhotep—Healing and Restoration —Results not guaranteed. No refunds.— —Outpatient Procedures (Cash Only)— Awaken . . . $1 Minor Healing . . . $3 Cure Disease . . . $4 Major Healing . . . $4 Neutralize Poison . . . $5 Cleansing . . . $6 Instant Neutralize Poison . . . $8 Dispel Possession . . . $10 Stone to Flesh . . . $10 —Surgery (Insurance Accepted)— Restoration . . . $750 Great Healing . . . $1,000 Regeneration . . . $1,000 Remove Curse . . . $1,000 Instant Restoration . . . $2,500 Instant Regeneration . . . $4,000 Resurrection . . . $15,000
The following answer can only barely be considered RAW, but if it isn't, then there is no RAW on the matter. Kromm "Err[s] on the side of greater point cost" here rather than quoting ink-on-page. Douglas Cole, author of&nbsp; The Deadly Spring , believes there is a "semi-official nod to Striking ST rather than lifting ST." In Gorefest Dungeon , we will say that bows are rated for ST, which includes both Arm ST, and Striking ST , though the latter makes little sense and is why Cole changed it in his well-received Pyramid article. Q. As bows are rated in Strength—the bow's strength, not the wielder's—does the Striking ST advantage (p. B88) increase the damage done?&nbsp; A. &nbsp; Kromm: In combat, strikes for damage = Striking ST and grapples = Lifting ST, and arrows are strikes, just like punches and sword blows. This makes things vastly easier. In any event, it's a continuum, with Lifting ST making some sense at the end where you're taking a long series of Aim and Wait maneuvers, and Striking ST making more sense once you get into Quick-Shooting bows and cocking crossbows with a single sharp jerk when you have a foot in the stirrup. Given such a split, I tend to err on the side of greater point cost. A. &nbsp; Douglas Cole: Canonically, Arm ST is the go-to for bows, with a semi-official nod to Striking ST rather than lifting ST. Lifting ST is for grappling and cocking crossbows.

Edited 1516407060
For Seasion 4,&nbsp; DF RPG: Stripe: Rules as written and canonically speaking, diffuse creatures ignore all knockdown (p. B380/ Exploits , p. 55), but there's no modification to knockback (p. B378/ Exploits , p. 53) due to that trait, right? Kromm: Knockback is supposed to happen normally if you use an attack that can actually inflict enough damage. There's no quote I can give you to support this, but I'd treat damage as being limited by Diffuse for this, meaning that you won't get much knockback unless the attack is a cone, explosion, or similar. Stripe: &nbsp;What about knockback against ST 0 creatures as diffuse ones often are? Kromm: &nbsp; Exploits , p. 53: "A target with ST 3 or less is knocked back one hex per point of basic damage!" Stripe: Let's say a Dungeon Fantasy Knight swinging a mace rolls 20 points of basic crushing damage on the dice. How far would a DR 0, ST 0 creature be knocked back? Kromm: Using the above rulings: 20 yards if the being weren't Diffuse, two yards if it were Diffuse. Stripe: In regard to diffuse monsters with vulnerability (p. B161/ Monsters , p. 14), what if I were to give a flaming skull a x2 vulnerability to cold? A player uses a cold-based attack, perhaps the Icy Daggers spell. He rolls 10 basic damage on the dice. How much injury does the creature take? What about Frostbite? What about Icy Weapon? I know that's a lot of examples, but I think that covers about every case of player-based cold damage and will make absolutely certain there's no confusion. Kromm: In all cases, Vulnerability affects injury and not damage ( Monsters , p. 14), so you double the usual injury. If the attack is not an area effect, cone, or explosion – say, an Ice Dagger or Ice Sphere – that's going to mean doubling 1 or 2 HP to 2 or 4 HP. If it affects an area, double full injury. Note that Frostbite is special because it affects the whole victim ; it does its normal damage to Diffuse creatures, because Diffuse affects how penetrating damage causes injury, not direct injury. If the Diffuse creature takes double injury from cold . . . well, the Frostbite does double injury.