Advertisement Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - Magical Darkness

Score + 95
1422737737
Franky H.
Forum Champion
Add a Magical Darkness setting to tokens that would cancel out a token's Emits light setting
1422739228
This is the best idea ever 11/10 I would rather have magical darkness than a girlfriend IGN 11/10.
1439754320
+1, the main complications is you would have to add some priority to lights, magic light vs darkness, darkness vs daylight spell (speaking from pathfinder terms). But yes, creating magical darkness right now is impossible.
1439757358
Gold
Forum Champion
Your Suggestion for a change to Dynamic Lighting is valid. But there is currently a way to make a Darkness effect. This particular Darkness technique will create a darkness for Everyone (in fact even on the GM), so this may be different from your idea if you wanted a Darkness effect that could be overridden by some tokens sight, but kept darkness to others. Darkness Token GM can control a Large Black Circle Token (say 8x8 size, or whatever fits your darkness radius) and... The black circle token will function as a magical darkness. Light would still go "over" the black token but nothing of the map nor other tokens would appear visible under it, if the token is completely black and On Top of z-order of token layer. Here are some Marketplace graphics sets to help achieve this effect if you want to go beyond drawing your own black circle with the draw tool, Faster Caster's: Spell Fx 2 Author: Gabriel Pickard <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/468/fast" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/468/fast</a>... Dungeon Accessories 2 Author: Joshua Kurz <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/476/dung" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/476/dung</a>... Combat Magic I Author: Brass Badger Workshop <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/570/comb" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/570/comb</a>... Tek-magic Pack 2 - Sorcery Author: Alex Carmichal <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/497/tek-" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/497/tek-</a>...
That sounds like it would be a pain to arrange tokens under it.
1439794378
Franky H.
Forum Champion
Gold said: Your Suggestion for a change to Dynamic Lighting is valid. But there is currently a way to make a Darkness effect. This particular Darkness technique will create a darkness for Everyone (in fact even on the GM), so this may be different from your idea if you wanted a Darkness effect that could be overridden by some tokens sight, but kept darkness to others. Darkness Token GM can control a Large Black Circle Token (say 8x8 size, or whatever fits your darkness radius) and... The black circle token will function as a magical darkness. Light would still go "over" the black token but nothing of the map nor other tokens would appear visible under it, if the token is completely black and On Top of z-order of token layer. Here are some Marketplace graphics sets to help achieve this effect if you want to go beyond drawing your own black circle with the draw tool, Faster Caster's: Spell Fx 2 Author: Gabriel Pickard <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/468/fast" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/468/fast</a>... Dungeon Accessories 2 Author: Joshua Kurz <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/476/dung" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/476/dung</a>... Combat Magic I Author: Brass Badger Workshop <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/570/comb" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/570/comb</a>... Tek-magic Pack 2 - Sorcery Author: Alex Carmichal <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/497/tek-" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/497/tek-</a>... The main problem I have with that would be the fact that it blocks vision even for the DM, which would be a pain in any type of combat inside of it.
You can also make an aura around the object affected by Darkness, then change its color to black. It solves the problem of 1) indicating where the Darkness zone is, 2) keeping the tokens accessible, and 3) making your players feel like the zone is indeed darker. It's also very easy to set and change the size of the zone this way. It is especially useful for the D&D and Pathfinder version of the Darkness &nbsp;Spell, as it is centered around a touched object/person, instead of being static, and merely dims the light, meaning that yes, the players can still see the ennemies within most of the time. However if your setting/system uses a pitch black effect, it still divulges the token's location... I still voted for this, because there are other reasons to want it incorporated into Dynamic Lightning (like the ability to make a pitch black zone).&nbsp;
This would be useful, and I upvoted it, but I have another work-around: assuming the zone you need to have darkened is static, and impenetrable to all relavant forms of sight: turn on"fog of war" and reveal everything except your dark patch, boom, zoneofof darkness that the gm can see through and the players cant...
1475533962
Franky H.
Forum Champion
Alexei Y-M. said: This would be useful, and I upvoted it, but I have another work-around: assuming the zone you need to have darkened is static, and impenetrable to all relavant forms of sight: turn on"fog of war" and reveal everything except your dark patch, boom, zoneofof darkness that the gm can see through and the players cant... That's a pretty good work around. I originally suggested it because my player carried a sword of darkness
I think I found a way to decently imitate Magical Darkness, so that players without Darkvision cannot see into/through effect, but players with Darkvision can. First, draw an unfilled shape on the grid to size out the Darkness area of effect.&nbsp; I recommend you create a new map where you keep all your various templates, so later you can easily copy and paste the templates you need onto appropriate map. When you are ready to use Darkness in combat, paste this onto your combat map in the dynamic lighting layer. Now, create a token, which you will use as the Darkvision token, to imitate darkvision for PCs that have this ability. Double click token to edit, and enter DM and PCs with Darkvision into the Controlled By field. On Advanced tab, recreate your chosen Darkvision settings.&nbsp; Mine shown below. So, anywhere you place this token on the map, it essentially acts as a light source only your Darkvision PCs can see.&nbsp; This is how they will be able to: see into the Darkness area of effect (by placing these tokens within Darkness grid object) see through the Darkness area of effect (by placing these tokens behind the Darkness grid object) Create a Character in campaign journal, and save this token as default so you can easily drop it onto future maps. Map View of Dynamic Lighting Layer: Map view on Object Layer: View of PC without Darkvision: View of PC with Darkvision, tested by selecting PC and multiple darkvision tokens, and typing ctrl+l: Also tested by “Re-Join as player”, and since my DM name is in Controlled By for all Darkvision tokens, I can see normally. If my DM name was only in Controlled By for Darkvision token outside of area of effect, this is what I would see: You should set Dynamic Lighting for map to Restrict Movement.&nbsp; You will then as DM need to move your PCs into the area of darkness.&nbsp; When moving PCs without darkvision, you should disable their token’s Has Sight option: This will force PCs without Darkvision to make perception rolls, and rely on you as the DM describing what direction they hear combat and their ability to pinpoint combatants location. You should have the darkness object grid and darkvision tokens on the GM layer, in the map area where you plan to use Darkness, and then move everything to appropriate layers when Darkness is activated. I hope this helps you run Darkness vs. Darkvision vs. Normal Vision more successfully in your games.&nbsp; Please let me know if you think this is a good idea, if you have ways to improve upon it, or if there is an even better solution out there. Thanks!
1547586599

Edited 1547591584
That is really awesome, thanks Jonathan S! edit: (snipped out the quote due to length)
My pleasure!&nbsp; It created a bit of extra work managing the various tokens and me as DM manually having to move the players into and out of the Darkness area of effect, but it was well worth it. The players without darkvision became more reliant on those with, and made the fight against the Babau demons pretty harrowing and memorable.
1552517400
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jonathan S. said: I think I found a way to decently imitate Magical Darkness, so that players without Darkvision cannot see into/through effect, but players with Darkvision can. ...snip... That is an awesome technique Jonathan S. I don't know how I missed seeing it, but it should immediately go into Stupid Tricks . It's a perfect fit for that thread.
Sorry for delayed reply - you have my permission to post this within stupid tricks if you haven't already.
1585194790
Todd H.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jonathan S. said: I think I found a way to decently imitate Magical Darkness, so that players without Darkvision cannot see into/through effect, but players with Darkvision can. ...snip... You should set Dynamic Lighting for map to Restrict Movement.&nbsp; You will then as DM need to move your PCs into the area of darkness.&nbsp; When moving PCs without darkvision, you should disable their token’s Has Sight option: ...snip... First and foremost, this a brilliant solution, and I am using it. However, I had one problem with it. When I turn off "Has Sight", my player can't see, but they can walk right through all of my dynamic lighting obstacles, regardless of the "Restrict Movement" settings. Surprised the heck out of me. I did find a fix, though. Instead of unchecking the "Has Sight" box, just change the "Angle" to zero. They still have sight, so the dynamic lighting controls still block their movement, but they can't see because you've collapsed their field of view to nothing. Works like a champ.
1585200577
Todd H. said: When I turn off "Has Sight", my player can't see, but they can walk right through all of my dynamic lighting obstacles, regardless of the "Restrict Movement" settings. Surprised the heck out of me. Yeesh! That's a pretty serious bug. I guess a situation that would call for this has been pretty rare, else it would have been discovered before now. I just went and tried it out on the dev server and the new DL setup and it does not seem to have this same bug.