Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[API - Tags] API Access to Image Tags.

Score + 196
Nolan T. J. said: Elena S. said: +1 Not being able to use the API to grab images that I've purchased from the marketplace is a bitter pill to swallow. I paid good money for the right to use those assets in my campaign, and by any reasonable interpretation this should mean that I have full access to use them in my games. Those assets should be available to me with all of the same functionality as the artwork that I have created myself and uploaded into my image library! The most likely outcome currently is that we would figure out a way to enable this for Marketplace purchases only  but not the uploaded image library, due to the various means of potential abuse. and that step right there would help many users especially the map generators and what not... then i see market place items coming with the code for the pathpoints and everyone bugging the aaron for the MOAS :D 
+1
+1. I upgraded Pro to be able to use Dungeon Draw.  I'm glad I found this post as I was about to buy some tile sets but am holding off till i figure out if I can use them with dungeon draw.
+1. This would be a great feature to have. Would definatly buy more tile sets if this became available.
I wish I could vote more than once on this.
Me too Hidden, me too.
I think this would be a valuable addition.  +1
I would love to be able to get characters by tags. +1
+1 to API method to bring an image from external URL into Library.
+1 to accessing tags.
+1, this would be amazing to have.
Nothing to add to the discussion, but I would like to see this as a reality.  
I would very much like the API to have access to marketplace images, so that my players can use Aaron’s TokenMod script to change their spells to the pretty graphics I’ve bought. Having to download those packs to my computer then re-upload each one is a big pain.  :-P Nolan T. J. said: Elena S. said: +1 Not being able to use the API to grab images that I've purchased from the marketplace is a bitter pill to swallow. I paid good money for the right to use those assets in my campaign, and by any reasonable interpretation this should mean that I have full access to use them in my games. Those assets should be available to me with all of the same functionality as the artwork that I have created myself and uploaded into my image library! The most likely outcome currently is that we would figure out a way to enable this for Marketplace purchases only  but not the uploaded image library, due to the various means of potential abuse.

Edited 1556130552
I honestly think this being added would be more appreciated than every other update in the past 4 years combined. If nothing else than as a framework to be built on to return marketplace assets to being practical again.  I've long since bought so many marketplace assets that I can no longer buy anymore because it takes me too long to manually search through them all for what I want. An seems like it would be the first step to fixing that.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
There is currently an update to the Marketplace infrastructure in active development. We have been releasing pieces of that over the last few months, mostly things that have been under the hood development. Shortly, there are releases that will touch the Marketplace Tag system and VTT Search. We are researching the feasibility of including Tag Access in the API after the dust has settled on the changes being developed now.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We are currently looking at improving the API server and enhancements to the API system. This improvement will likely be addressed in that process.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kenton said: We are currently looking at improving the API server and enhancements to the API system. This improvement will likely be addressed in that process. Wooot!
John B
Pro
Sheet Author
Was the market place changes that were made address this issue or is this something that is still pending?  Kenton said: We are currently looking at improving the API server and enhancements to the API system. This improvement will likely be addressed in that process.
John B said: Was the market place changes that were made address this issue or is this something that is still pending?  Kenton said: We are currently looking at improving the API server and enhancements to the API system. This improvement will likely be addressed in that process. I'd love to know the same.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
There are still some enhancements we wanted to make to the search functionality in the Virtual Tabletop - specifically using the Marketplace grid size meta data. A portion of these enhancements are waiting on user interface design. I don't think these plans won't affect the way the API would access tags or titles, but I do anticipate changes in what data you all want to access from the API. 
+1 Please add this function. I really want to use the lovely artwork and token I have purchased with this API.
+1
+1. I am writing a script to import characters from GiffyGlyph's Monster Maker , and I want to set tags for the role and rank of the monster.
+1

Edited 1621508799
Joe
Pro
I ran into this again today, when I bought some progress clock graphics off of the Marketplace. I had forgotten that in order to use TokenMod to advance their state with a single button push (as opposed to right-click, select side, scroll through the 13 different states with tiny graphics and hope I pick exactly the right one), I need to: Download all of the art (not possible with many marketplace purchases), Re-upload all of the art (taking up my storage space), and Rebuild each of the clocks’ rollable tables by hand (taking time that I was trying to save by giving money to a marketplace creator instead). If this thread’s suggestion was implemented, I could have just purchased the clocks pre-made as an add-on instead and be ready to go. :-/ In July 2020 this was stated to be possibly included soon. Any recent updates? Thanks for your time!
+1
Yes, this, please! There are so many good reasons for this feature already listed above, but here's mine: It's very time consuming to set up multiple rollable tables, but there is no good way to automate it without API access to library image names or tags. We need the API to be able to retrieve image names and tags from their URL, and to be able to search the image library by tag or image name. It would also be great if the API could add images to the library, from either the local machine or a web source, so we could automate that process. Could this be solved by creating another API object type for library images with the tag list as a field? Or is it more complicated than that? Either way, devs, please make this feature a priority! Thanks
+1
+1