Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monthly podcast game

Alright, as you can tell by the title I am looking to form a group in order to produce an actual play podcast. This will be a 5th edition game set in my own homebrew world that will focus more so on the storytelling side as opposed to combat. While combat will still occur I would like for the focus to be on storytelling. End of the day I am just looking to put out some quality product and just want to expand on the normal pool of players I draw from. So without further adieu let us get into the meat and potatoes of the post. Who am I: I am a podcaster that has been putting out semi-successful actual play podcasts for just over a year now. I've been a long time player/DM of D&D and other roleplaying games for 20ish years. The type of player I am looking for: With this podcast I am going to be a little more selective with my choices on who gets to join than I normally am with podcast games. As this game will focus heavily on storytelling (and collaborative storytelling) I am looking for people that can bring their characters to life. For those that read the DMG and the types of players that there are, I am looking for those that fall under the Actor and Storyteller category primarily. This does not mean a person that can do cool voices (although those are always welcome) but those that can easily step into their characters much like an actor/actress steps into their role. A potential player will need a good quality mic and little to no background noise present when we record. I understand stuff can happen and we can't always guarantee silence and that is acceptable, however having music blaring or kids screaming constantly is not. I am also looking for players that are reliable. This game is going to be a monthly and I am the type of DM that won't play without a full group so if people can't commit to the game than there is a problem. One of my podcast games suffers from a spotty attendance and I am not looking to repeat it. This game is going to feature many elements (such as horror, betrayal and comedy) so the atmosphere of the game will be player driven. This game will require the player to speak English fluently (accents are not a problem, just as long as you are capable of being understood). Lastly but certainly not least I am looking for players that aren't going to be d-bags...we all are coming here to have fun so lets not ruin it for everyone else in the group. DM Note: Sorry if the last part makes me seem like an elitist or the like, I am just trying to put together a quality program and I know what kind of players I want. When will the game take place: The game is going to be on Sundays starting at 7pm EST and running till 1am EST at the latest. I say at the latest as I end games at natural breaking points so we can easily end 30 minutes earlier than expected. How to apply: So if you are interested in playing in this game then simply post on this thread or send me a PM with some information on who you are and what kind of character you would want to play. Once the application process has ended I will pick the potential players that will take part in a one shot (or several depending on interest). This one shot will not only give me a chance to see the players in action but will also give the players a chance to figure out if I am the type of DM that they want to game with. The application process will close on the 17 th of April. I have provided some info below for people to create a concept without needing to rely on mechanics. I have far more information on the races created, I just want players to be able to roll with the punches. Theme of game: Intrigue, horror and comedy will be some of the most pronounced themes of the game. This game also mixes the openness of a sandbox game with overarching plots. That means that players can explore the world at their leisure but also that events continue to unfold even if they aren't present. World Concept: The world of Lunthenia is steeped in magic and technology and as such has a steampunk feel to it (airships, elevators and “radio”). As a continent floating in the sky, the landscape will be slightly different than in your normal games. House Rules/Additional Game Mechanics: In this game we will be using some of the additional game mechanics featured in the PHB and DMG as well as some of my own house rules. Insanity: Seeing as we are using the Sanity trait we will also be using the rules for temporary/long term sanity. Some psychic spells will also now require a Sanity Saving Throw in replace of their normal ones. Hero Points (pg 264 DMG): The characters will receive 1 Hero Point that will be used in the same fashion as listed in the DMG. Once spent the Hero point returns when they level up OR after they perform some task worthy of the fates rewarding them (ie. DM discretion). Healer's Kit Dependency (pg. 266 DMG) Explosives/Gunpowder (pg. 267 DMG): This world will feature gunpowder for cannons and explosives as well. There are NO guns, pistols, muskets, or any other hand held firearms...nor do I plan for there to be. Climb onto a bigger creature (pg. 271 DMG) Disarm (pg. 271 DMG) Overrun (pg. 272 DMG) Shove Aside (pg. 272 DMG) Tumble (pg. 272 DMG): If the acrobatics roll fails the hostile creature may use its reaction to make an opportunity attack. Hitting Cover (pg. 272 DMG) System Shock (pg. 273 DMG) The World of Lunthenia In the beginning there was only Runia, a lush land that spanned as far as the eye could see. The early kingdoms warred for various reasons; wealth, power, fear. For centuries armies clashed again and again, blood being spilt in the name of country and god. It seemed that the cycle of war would rage on and on. Then came the Great Divide. No one knows how or why it came about, history holds no record, but in the span on a day Runia was torn in half. Large chunks of land became shattered, ripped from the ground before starting to rise into the air. Mountains, lakes, valleys, hills, dense forests, fields, all of them lifted higher and higher. Kingdoms split, families torn apart as the landscape shifted. By the time the sun had risen on the next day Runia had been split into two worlds; Lunthenia above and Terra below. With the two parts now separated by miles of open air (and the Storm Wall), Lunthenia and Terra became two separate worlds, unable to interact with each other. Upon the floating continent the now disjointed kingdoms turned to the only thing that they knew, waging war to claim the new lands and secure resources for themselves. This drive spawned what is now known as the Age of Builders. As most of the continent is divided into islands, the kingdoms had to build bridges to connect one area to the next. For nearly 2 centuries the shattered kingdoms focused on bolstering their own positions. For the first time however the pursuit of academics were pushed to the forefront. Not only did they need to create large bridges that would span several hundred feet but life amongst the sky was filled with new wonders. Whether due to the same mystic energies that caused the Great Divide or due to some other factor, the creatures of the land began to change. New species appearing, others fading into the nothingness while the rest merely changed in some way or shape. Lunthenia was truly a new world after all. As the years continued to move forward and the last of the Grand Branches (the bridges that connect the sections of Lunthenia) were completed, it was thought that this new world would be plunged into warfare much as Runia had been. Yet such a fate would not be, the Age of Builders had brought with it an enlightenment that had previously not been available. Many scholars conjectured that the Great Divide was due to the overwhelming thirst held by the populace of Runia. That it was the gods not so subtle way of putting an end to such pointless squabbles. Whether peace was afforded due to the machinations of the gods or due to the lack of resources held by each kingdom is unclear. For the first time in their history war did not consume their lives. The Races The Maklun (Human) The most common race as well as the one that adapts easiest to changes, the Maklun can be found all over Lunthenia. A common saying among the other races is “You never know what to expect when meeting a Maklun for the first time, no two are ever the same.” The Belfyora (Elves) Divided into 3 kingdoms after the separation from old kingdom on Runia, the Belfyora wage hidden wars with each other. Luckily though, such wars result in little to no loss of life. With centuries to acquire wealth they conduct their battles on the trade field more than actual combat. The Gulndledaq (Dwarves) Most of the dwarves of encountered will be Gulndeldaq, dwarves of the clans scattered across Lunthenia. Fierce proponents of traditions and laws, they cling to the teachings left behind on Runia. However there is also a clan of outcasts known as Vol-gard or “Beardies” that are slowly growing. Punished by the Gulndeldaq, the Vol'gard all have a curse mark placed on their face. This identifies them instantly for what they are while also preventing the men from growing beards. The Dracovic (Dragonborn) Passionate storytellers and fierce warriors, the Dracovic pride themselves on personal pedigree. The nobles/purebloods pride themselves on knowing their lineage all the way back to the dragon that spawned them. It is common practice in Dracovic society for the old and the weak to be killed or abandoned in order to strengthen the blood. The Fei-lynn (Halflings) Creators of the Cogsteel and masters of the arcane arts, the Fei-lyn used to lead the world in technological advances. A point no better seen than in their masterpieces; the Cogsteel. After the Cogsteel revolution, the Fei-lynn has slowly become more and more xenophobic. Some whisper of a new breed, a loyal breed of Cogsteel, being built by them. The Cogsteel Creatures made from steel and other metals but still possessing a mind and soul, the Cogsteel once served as a slave labour force for all of Lunthenia. Since their uprising, the Cogsteel have quickly jumped to the forefront of technological advances. The eyes and mouth of a Cogsteel is lit with a coloured light that varies from unit to unit. The Voldraz Creatures from the spirit world, the Voldraz have lived with the mortals since the early days of Runia. Cut off for their homeworld, the Voldraz work tirelessly to return once more. Often seen as cousins to the Belfyora due to their similar structures, the Voldraz are in fact a completely different species. Despite being unaffected by time, they are far from immortal. A blade to the heart kills them as easily as it does most everything else. The Voldraz also hold honour to be worth more than their lives. The Odfre (Tiefling) Incredibly spiritual without being fanatical the Odfre have set aside an hour in the morning and evening for praying. The kingdoms of the Odfre rest next to active volcanoes, their buildings being crafted from Omber (a crystal that grows when exposed to heat/flames). Despite having horns and a prehensile tail, Odfre have the same skin coloration as the Maklun. The Wondlesniv (Gnome) This masked race has always kept an air of mystery around them. Distrusting of the other races, the feeling is often mutual with others. The masks that they wear have become an integral part of their society, even the common folk of their lands having several different ones. The Yen Yen (Half-Orc) For years the Yen Yen remained hidden from the rest of Lunthenia. It wasn't until the first airships began to explore below the floating islands that they discovered their neighbors. Relatively primitive when first encountered, the Yen Yen have quickly adapted to the ways and lifestyles of Lunthenia while trying to retain their heritage. The Yen Yen are covered in colored patterns that look like mineral veins. The Calzivar (Half elves) Torn between two worlds the Calzivar are the by product of Maklun and Belfyora. The Calzivar are the only race on Lunthenia that do not possess their own kingdom. Mingling in with the other kingdoms the Calzivar have no real home to call their own.
I am probably too noob to play, but I'm always on the lookout for podcasts. You should definitely take this opportunity to advertise.
Melinda there is no such thing as "too noob" to play. I have run many games in my lifetime with a wide variety of players and sometimes the "noobs" are the ones that jump into their characters the most. If you are interested then go ahead and submit a char! As long as a player can immerse themselves into their character then that is all that is needed.
^ That is very true. In my experience as a GM, new players are a lot more fun. They are excited and get into characters better than "veterans" who sometimes get into the habit of number crunching and everything else is secondary.
This sounds like an awesome idea and I'd Love to get in on it. I'm fairly new to DnD but I've played and GM'd a few games so I'm comfortable with the rules and such. I think I'd, ideally, like to play a Odfre (Tiefling) Warlock because I like the amount of possible backstory that comes with the class. That being said, I feel confident that I could play any other class that'll fill out the roles in the group.
^ I agree with this 100% New players tend to not have any preconceptions to the game which is awesome. This isn't a hate on veterans either, I am a veteran and I sometimes fall back into familiar tropes and ideas as I know them better. It is just human nature to side with familiarity. So whether you are a veteran with years of experience or a player that just picked up the books and hasn't played an actual game yet, feel free to apply. I am not a DM that lets the rules get in the way of fun (within reason of course). If anything people will get a cool little one shot adventure to take part in. So there is pretty much nothing to lose. :D
For those that are curious / want to get a feel for me as a DM here is a link to one of my 5e podcasts.
Phisto - I would love to jump in and play - the time does not work for me unfortunately! Phisto is a great DM!!!!!!! Jump at this opportunity folks! - I will be looking forward to the podcast
Would love to play a Gulndledaq or Maklun (Human) fighter or barbarian fairly new but have played some 5e one offs
Hey thanks Shawn! LOL I take it you are still stuck with the 7-10 window as per the "old days"?
Gold
Forum Champion
Phisto Roboto said: For those that are curious / want to get a feel for me as a DM here is a link to one of my 5e podcasts. This is a good listen. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
Thanks for the kind words Gold!
Also, the time during Sunday can be played with a little (an hour or 2 earlier start time..depending on the players).
sent you a pm
^ Phisto yeah kind of ... the best day for me seems to be Saturday from 7 - 11! - Good luck
Not sure if you've gone to bed or not, but I'd love to discuss the finer details over Skype. I'm very interested in a long term D&D game. I am a tad inexperienced, but I focus the majority of my efforts on building a believable and engaging character. Number crunching has never really been my strong suit or my personal playstyle. I'm excited about this homebrew world you've crafted, and it's clear you care a lot about the narrative and players. I'll send you a further PM to outline a few character archetypes and get the dirt on those finer features I mentioned. I've also got your podcast up, and it seems entertaining so far.
Super interesting world you've created. I think I would be lucky to be a part of it. Definitely would like to learn more about the Belfyora. EST here as well.
Just to clarify, I have purposely left out large chunks of info in order to see what concepts you can come up with based on such little info. As this game is going to use collaborative storytelling from time to time, players will need to be able to roll with punches. Also the char concept that you apply with doesn't have to be the one you will end up playing.
I forgot to mention something that may or may not dissuade people from applying and that is the fact that we will be using skype for the audio portion of the game.
Skype is a far better alternative than the built in voice. Makes sense.
Hey man this sounds awesome. I've fallen in love with 5e since I started playing it a few months ago. My favorite edition so thus far. I wouldn't consider myself a veteran but I've been playing D&D for about a year and a half or so. I love the character making process, especially in 5e, and would be honored to join this campaign. I have no problems with the times, I can make myself available all day on Sundays given I know the date at least a week in advance. Skype is bumbo_jebus. I know it's a weird name, long story.
This sounds great. I haven't had any official experience in 5e yet, but have been playing for about two years in pathfinder. I will send a pm with a character idea and skype information.
Greetings Phisto, the world sounds compelling, I haven't played in a steam punk theater yet. I've been very interested in a 5e for a bit now. I think I'd really enjoy bringing an Belfyora (elf) druid to life in a mechanically driven world. I'll regale you with a back story in a message so as to not clutter up this post. One of my favorite components of D&D is collaborative story telling. Walking through creative impressions of actions that you or others are taking.
Man, got some great applications so far. Think I may have to run more than one 1 shot adventure for stage 2 lol.
If this still is a running thing, I'd be totally willing to play in this game! Although I'm not fully sure whether I am applicable, I'm normally a very RP'ing player, allthough my DM style is something similar to that of a video game more than a story. I hope I can be useful in some way! I'd also like to know where I can listen to this podcast if I don't get to play!
Chimiboy: The application process doesn't end until April 17th so there is plenty of time. When it does appear it will be on iTunes and other podcast gathering programs. I will be sure to make it known. :D

Edited 1427849090
Phisto, I sent you a pm in regards to you message the other day. If you need anything else please let me know.
You can consider my application sent in! If you want references just give me a heads up and I'll have give you their contact information and let my friends know that they need to pretend to be important people when you call. Jokes aside, I'm really excited to see how this evolves.
Sounds like a lot of fun and I'd love to join. I have experience with D&D but still getting into the role playing part of things, and I'm hoping to make a more lively character. I was thinking on going with a cogsteel fighter that is overly enthusiastic about new technological inventions, and one day dreams of creating an invention that would change the world, but I have some other ideas as well and haven't decided yet. I'd love to see how this goes, if you are interested in letting me join send my a PM so i know whether to flesh out my character. I look forword to working with you.
Alright so I originally said the 17th would be the end of the application process but with the flow of new applicants ebbing I may move the date up. Big thanks to everyone that has sent me some stuff!
I sent you something in a PM. I hope I get the chance to broaden my D&D experience