Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Gameboard/Battlemap on the Ipad

One of my players is trying to use the roll20 app on ipad additionally we use Google Hangouts to play on. He doesn't get the option to download the roll20 app from inside Hangouts but I think that has always been the case for ipad. However when he runs the Roll20 client from the ipad he doesn't appear to have a game board. How does he get the gameboard/battlemap on his Ipad. Additionally if he were to run hangouts via google chrome app from his ipad could he get the game board that way?
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The iPad/Android Apps are not meant as a replacement for the Roll20 Site, merely a supplement. To get access to the Roll20 Virtual Table Top, he would need to connect via the web browser to the main Roll20 site. I'm not certain if he could load the Roll20 App via Google Hangouts for iPad, but it should be pretty easy to test. If he can, then that should work correctly.

Edited 1430471401
Ben H
KS Backer
It's a little bit finicky, the Android/iPad version of hangouts doesn't support extras (such as the integrated Roll20); but as Aaron says, your player can load up his browser and go to the roll20 site normally and they should get the map, chat, etc much like a normal PC user. I don't know exactly how it works on iPad but I imagine they will have to switch back and forth between hangouts and the browser.
I've not been able to run any apps in Hangouts on iPad, but just going to the roll20 site and getting into the campaign from there works pretty well. Zooming and panning are kinda ... wacky ... but you can get more real estate by closing the side panel. I use Skype on my real computer at the same time, so I don't know how switching back and forth would work. Not well is my guess, since iPad doesn't really exactly let you do two things at the same time. (Please no iFan pile-on! I lurvs my iPad! But sadly it cannot do everything. My choice of roll20 was largely driven by the fact that the game board is feasible on the iPad....)
I know one of the players in my group uses his iPad for Hangouts to do the actual voice/camera side of things and then runs the full roll20 website on his laptop. Gives him a bit more flexibility and screen real estate. I guess it's essentially the opposite of what you do Darcy.