Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

First Impression Overview

Mr G
KS Backer
I've been using iTabletop to run a weekly game for three years now, so I have a fair handle on what makes a good VTT for my group and my kind of game (which is old school, ad hoc, make it up as you go along). I've had a quick tinker and here are my first impressions - hope this is useful. Overall this is a good product - fast, responsive and trying to be supportive of my style of play. I am totally on board with rules agnosticism. Together we can make it a great product. Plus Points compared to iTT - Works well on Chrome and Firefox. - Loads fast, very fast. - Accessible from work (whatever port is used isn’t blocked by our firewall). - Very quick and easy to set up tokens and rooms – everything is on one screen. - Intuitive interface, supports drag ‘n’ drop, CTRL+C / CTRL + V, etc. - Has a working whiteboard, kind of (see below). - Cross platform compatible (although haven’t tested it myself yet). - Can attach text notes to the screen. - Has built in initiative and hit point trackers. - Has built in card decks - Can show radii of visibility / illumination based on tokens Minus Points compared to iTT - Doesn’t work on IE (unless you have the Chrome frame installed). - Can’t load up your own music / sound effects. - Tokens and their settings do not persist between rooms and games (I think). - Everyone has to be in the same room. - No support for attaching PDFs or anything similar. Needs Improvement - Whiteboard only allows squares and freeform (no lines, polygons or circle/ellipses). - FoW only allows square/rectangular additions and deletions. - Zooming is a pain (but it is in iTT too). - If you delete the room everyone is in, your campaign is FUBAR’ed and it’s start again time. Some Suggestions - Allow embedding of web pages within rooms, e.g. your campaign blog, a shared folder on your Dropbox, etc. I aim to try and run my weekly Stars Without Number game using Roll20 next Wednesday. So will report back then on how it goes when being used for a real game session with all Euro located players. Great work, guys.
Mr G
KS Backer
Oh yes, and need to allow variable units of measurement, not just feet and inches (which just seems wrong in a Sci-Fi game).
Marc, thanks so much for the input. Many of your suggestions are in the works.
Mr G
KS Backer
Thanks, Richard, no problems. Another great addition would be the ability to choose a hex grid with either true columns or true rows. Currently the only option is true rows, which is quite an unusual configuration I think. True columns is what I'm generally used to.