Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Update 5/20: Improved Player Directory and New Roll Template Features

Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Player Directory We've rolled out a revamp of how the Player Directory works, including new functionality. Previously when you've marked that you're interested in playing a game in your profile, it added you to a giant list of players, many of which weren't still actively looking for games in those systems. This wasn't a very useful tool for anyone to find players for their game. We've redirected the focus of the Player Directory to help GMs and groups find players who want to start playing right away and have recently indicated that they want to join a game. After a time your Player Directory listing will expire and you'll receive a notification to update the games you're interested in playing. This system will keep the Player Directory listings healthy and up to date. Also, we've added a new site wide user search. From the Player Directory you can search for other users based on their display name or their exact email address. Now, if you have your GM's email address but can't find him on Roll20, you can pull him up through the Player Directory and connect. For those users who do not want to be publicly listed there is now an Opt Out feature in your profile. However, be warned that opting out will make it impossible for other users to find you in the Player Directory or look you up as a Private Message recipient. Roll Templates There are three new helper functions for use with Roll Templates and a new feature. You've had access to the rollTotal() function that allowed you to conditionally show elements of a roll template if a roll resulted in a particular number. Now, you have access to rollGreater(), rollLess(), and rollBetween(). {{#rollGreater() <rollname>}} Checks the total of an inline roll for the value. If the roll result is greater, the section is shown. For example, {{#rollGreater() AC 16}} would check the "AC" property for an inline roll that resulted in 17 or higher. {{#rollLess() <rollname>}} Checks the total of an inline roll for the value. If the roll result is less, the section is shown. For example, {{#rollLess() deathsave 10}} would check the "deathsave" property for an inline roll that resulted in 9 or less. {{#rollBetween() <rollname>}} Checks the total of an inline roll for the value. The rollBetween() function accepts two numbers. If the roll result is equal to or between, the section is shown. For example, {{#rollBetween() strength 7 9}} would check the "strength" property for an inline roll that resulted in a seven, eight, or nine. In addition you can now use other roll template rolls in place of comparison numbers. All of the helper functions that accept a number, such as rollTotal() or rollBetween(), can use the result of another inline roll in the same Roll Template in place of the number. For example {{#rollGreater() save poison}} would compare the result of the save inline roll and the poison inline roll and show the section if the save result was greater.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
In addition you can now use other roll template rolls in place of comparison numbers. All of the helper functions that accept a number, such as rollTotal() or rollBetween(), can use the result of another inline roll in the same Roll Template in place of the number. For example {{#rollGreater() save poison}} would compare the result of the save inline roll and the poison inline roll and show the section if the save result was greater. Thank you so much for this! This will make highlighting some of the special values in my RMSS rolls so much easier! Back to the drawing board for more template revisions!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yay!!! Very nice!

Edited 1432146260
Gold
Forum Champion
I like the updates! Noticed those features appeared on my Roll20 Profile yesterday. Everyone --- the way to change your listings for Player Directory is to go into your own Profile . At the top-right of Roll20 click where it says "Welcome" and then click "My Profile". Change yourself in the listings under Enjoys Playing and "Actively Seeking Group For". Old School Revival players ATTENTION --- be sure to notice that the OSR tag was replaced recently with many specific game titles in LFG and Player Directory / Roll20 Profile too. If you are a fan of the OSR games, consider adding some of these on your Enjoys Playing or if you actively looking to play, Seeks Game For: Basic Fantasy RPG Swords & Wizardry Labyrinth Lord Castles & Crusades Dungeon Crawl Classics and so on
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Are these new roll template helpers/the ability to use a roll result instead of a number only available on live, not on the dev server? Also (and related which is why I found out that ^ didn't seem to work correctly on dev) do you know when the code to allow the nested roll to work with the API will be released on live?
are helper functions a mentor-only feature? Or am I just not understanding how to correctly implement them inside my templates?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Glenn said: are helper functions a mentor-only feature? Or am I just not understanding how to correctly implement them inside my templates? The helper functions are implemented in the character sheet HTML by the sheet author. While it is technically possible for anyone to publish a community sheet, only Mentors can create custom sheets, and custom sheets are the only means to accurately test changes in a timely fashion.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
They aren't Mentor Only per se, but you can only access Custom Character Cheets to define custom Roll Templates as a Mentor, so it would be difficult to use them without being a Mentor.
Does this mean that elements alone might be able to use the result of another element, or is that still just for the helper functions? i.e. If "roll" is 1d20 which ends up 10 and "bonus" is 15, can another element "total" equal the result of roll+bonus (in this case 25)? This would be handy for games like 13th Age, where you often need the exact die roll AND the total.

Edited 1432581542
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Robert M. said: Does this mean that elements alone might be able to use the result of another element, or is that still just for the helper functions? i.e. If "roll" is 1d20 which ends up 10 and "bonus" is 15, can another element "total" equal the result of roll+bonus (in this case 25)? This would be handy for games like 13th Age, where you often need the exact die roll AND the total. For 13th Age games, look into Powercards . It is a script for making macro output pretty, and version 3 (in beta) will have conditionals (like Roll templates) and eventually variables (remember what I rolled here and use it over there). Here's an example of something you can do: Danielle is an archer ranger, using Double Ranged Attack. I only need to know the die on her first attack, so I broke it into two macros. In her first attack, she rolled a six on the die, plus a total of 9 on her additional modifiers for 15 total. If she hits, she'll deal 20 damage (or 3 on a miss, being 3rd level). The underlined section of the card is a hyperlink to <a href="http://www.enworld.org/forum/showwiki.php?title=13" rel="nofollow">http://www.enworld.org/forum/showwiki.php?title=13</a>... The followup attack macro doesn't break out the dice, because it isn't needed to. I chose to do two cards because half the time the followup attack doesn't happen and I didn't want to have both attacks on one card. You could easily do it all on one card, however. If this interests you, come on over to the Powercards thread and check things out!
I'm using Powercards, just was interested if that had been added to the base Roll20.
Power Cards, if I recall correctly, is still a GenKitty (tm) production only. Anyone who can have API in their campaign can use it, but the associated sacrifice of gummi worms and M&M's the GenKitty Overlord is seen as too high for it to a standard across Roll20.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
*peers at CPP* Say what?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
GenKitty said: *peers at CPP* Say what? (It is true that many API sacrifices must be made to appease the great and wondrous GenKitty... =D)
lol
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
*squints at T'Aaron**
The Looking for Player listing is still largely useless given that a player can't designate when they are available and the searcher can't designate when they play to filter out people who aren't available. It still operates largely as an advertisement of the number of players to entice GM/DMs to sign up for a subscription. For example, searching for D&D 5E players: gives 10 pages of users (with 10 pages being the cap it seems) If I want to search for players for my day and time slot, how is this useful?
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Awesome - Thank you as this has been my request for quite some time. I really appreciate the effort here.

Edited 1432866973
Gold
Forum Champion
Eric H. said: The Looking for Player listing is still largely useless given that a player can't designate when they are available and the searcher can't designate when they play to filter out people who aren't available. If I want to search for players for my day and time slot, how is this useful? I see your point. It would be nice if Player Profiles had a field for Time Availability in the "Seeks Game" section, and if the available times could work in conjunction with the Player Directory. That would make a good Suggestion for the Suggestions forum. The LFG system is currently useful for games seeking a specific day and time slot. LFG search is set up to accommodate your scheduled game date & time & frequency. I understand this is different, leaving your campaign pitch on LFG and waiting for Players to search for your time offering (rather than combing through a Directory to find people who say they are looking for a particular time slot availability). <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/search</a> Still, the Player Directory is useful for other reasons, if not finding a specific time directly. It is useful for reaching out to people (via PM) after looking at their profile to read their Bio and gaming interests. This allows people to find other Players with similar interests and then dialog to coordinate times to play. It works in some situations. I invited almost all my Players in my main campaign, from the AD&D Player Directory.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I am happy as I have every been on roll20 with the new Roll Template commands. Great job!
Roll templates are nice. Simple. They look clean. I approve. Now please fix the map making tools... There are so many problems with layers, and object borders, and what not...
So, anything about being able to see more than 10 pages of listings? No one who made an account within the last year shows up on a search for 3.5 anymore.
I agree with benevolent tyrant & disagree with gold. Not only do I disagree, I bring evidence. I recently did a sear h for and messaged three or four players interested in a system in the search were contacted. Every one of them wrote back saying that they were really excited by the idea, but didn't think they could fill the last one or two slots I was trying to fill because they were on the other side of the earth. the change is a start and avoids the "this is bleeping stupid, maybe ill write a python script to scrape the search and pm Everton asking I they are interested or even still active" problem, but it's still more useful as a "hey look at all these players!!!" Advertisement aimed at gm/dm types rather than a useful tool. In spite of the possible usefulness of the game listing thing, the lfg forum is a_still_ more effective even if you need to make two or three posts because everyone else is doing the same and your pages back. The fact that GMs cannot set the required/expected knowledge of the game system/setting in a searchable way other than the uselessly ambiguous"new players welcome"... If I'm looking to add someone not already in my game to it... They are by definition a "new player" regardless of how well they might or might not know the rules/setting.
Would it be possible to see an example of how the helper funtions actually get used in a template? I don't think I'm quite groking where they go.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Epsilon R. said: Would it be possible to see an example of how the helper funtions actually get used in a template? I don't think I'm quite groking where they go. See Brian said: Glenn said: are helper functions a mentor-only feature? Or am I just not understanding how to correctly implement them inside my templates? The helper functions are implemented in the character sheet HTML by the sheet author. While it is technically possible for anyone to publish a community sheet, only Mentors can create custom sheets, and custom sheets are the only means to accurately test changes in a timely fashion. and Helper Functions .

Edited 1437695412
Silvyre said: Epsilon R. said: Would it be possible to see an example of how the helper funtions actually get used in a template? I don't think I'm quite groking where they go. See Brian said: Glenn said: are helper functions a mentor-only feature? Or am I just not understanding how to correctly implement them inside my templates? The helper functions are implemented in the character sheet HTML by the sheet author. While it is technically possible for anyone to publish a community sheet, only Mentors can create custom sheets, and custom sheets are the only means to accurately test changes in a timely fashion. and Helper Functions . Ah. That's unfortunate. The basic template actually works decently well in macros, for games that don't have sheets. It's kind-of annoying that this requires it to be hardcoded into an actual sheet, since some games can have variable on crit effects or other things that can't be predicted when creating the sheets. Thank you though.