Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Death of the Black Run (Act II Prologue, Early Post)

Coriola felt Silas’ body go limp as the filth water flooded over her, the vibration of a bullet shot rippling through the water overhead. The current threatened to pull her charge from her hands as she pushed against the tide, breaking the surface to gasp for air. The fires of the explosion were raging in the distance, surrounded by the klaxxons and the screams of the panicked black runners. A liquid crystal displayer flashed to show a bleeding rose. The psyker struggled to hold unto her etheric senses. Trying to keep hold of Silas’ unconscious body demanded her focus, but if she let go of her precognitive ‘sense’ the assassin rounds would strike home in a matter of mere seconds. I’m going to drown, Coriola thought as the water flooded her mouth. Coriola Mardinara saw a pipe line. She knew in that moment she had to make a choice. As her mind slipped from her controlled hold on the immaterium, she wrapped her free arm around the pipe as they passed, her other grasping Silas’ body across the chest. The water, dingy and dark, ran crimson red past them. This is it, Coriola thought again, shutting her eyes, expecting her death. Instead of the darkness, she felt instead being fished out from the drainage line, two men pulling them up. She was drowning from the water in her lungs, but before she passed out she felt a sense of relief when Pious Mengala’s face confronted her, his words of instructions to the two men carrying them lost to her... ------ Silas could hear voices, dim and distant, before his eyes opened to a blurred, low light that blinded him. He felt pain like a pile of red hot coals where his foot should be. Good. I can actually feel pain, means I’m not dead. He tried to sit up, finding that it took him more effort than it should have. He was in a cot. A rough cot, like what one would find on a cutter or corvet. Or the OPOS As his vision returned to something resembling reality, he became thoroughly convinced he had been wrong in his earlier deduction. The was the OPOS. or at least something very much like it. He swung his legs over the side of the cot, stood up, and promptly fell on his face. He looked to see what had tripped him and saw that his right leg just seemed to end in a bundle of cloth halfway down his shin. In the most brutal instant of his entire life, he remembered what had happened at the tram station. Kiva engulfed in a red fireball, Coriola rushing from the crowd, and- “Angel.” He said in a voice that he struggled to make audible. “Where’s Angel?” “our friends didn’t make it,” the familiar voice of Coriola answered. He looked up from the floor. There she was. Pale, eyes bloodshot, hair soaked. She was wearing long traveler’s clothes that looked like they have just been pulled from a river. The sight of her put murder in Silas’s eyes. “You left her there. I told you to save her and you grabbed my instead. You killed her.” Silas forced himself to his knees, managing it only by adrenaline and sheer will. It felt like there wasn’t enough energy in him to move a thimble. His voice was laden with anguish. Tears ran down his face. “Why? Why me? She was right there and you left her to save me!” He grabbed Coriola, balling his fists in her wet garments, trying to pull himself up or her down, it didn’t matter which. “Why wouldn’t you let me die! I deserved it, she didn’t! It should have been me dead back there, not her!” His voice cracked. He lost the ability to form words. “Silas…” Coriola meekly responded, too weak to resist his hands that clenched at her robes. She slumped forward, the two of them locking eyes; his were full of rage, and hers pleading for forgiveness. “She...wasn’t....I just couldn’t…” The engines were roaring loudly. The vessel was in flight. Before Silas could say anything else, even if he could find the words to say, a familiar voice spoke his name as an armored body took a seat across from them. “Silas, it’s been a long time,” the voice was Daviens, one of the Progenii left behind on Graecia. Perhaps woefully ignorant of the situation, he had taken to a position of comfort, leaning back casually. What? Who? Vague bewilderment was all he could muster. The fuel for his anger was running out. The progenii was probably very lucky in this regard. Then an older voice, more refined, calm, and unsettling in the paternal tone it held. “Silas, son of Mandragora, let her go,” the voice beckoned him. “She was acting on my accord. Let your anger fall on me, if it must.” The man Silas saw was the picture of an old wise man. He wore tattered grey and brown robes and walked on a long wooden staff. His long, grey beard fell in tangles down his front, and his blue eyes burned like starlight from under his hood. “What? What did you call me?” “Silas,” The man approached him, resting his hand on Silas’ shoulder. He eased him back, urging him to lessen his grip on Coriola. He let go, his arms falling at his sides. He was simply running out of steam. “Silas, son of Mandragora,” the voice continued. “We have much to discuss,” The older man took to Silas’ side. “And not much time to discuss it. Do you understand?” He inquired. His voice was warmer than most, but the urgency in his tone was undeniable.Silas’s brain switched tiredly into operations mode. “Who are you, and where the frack are we?” “You may not believe me, but I am here to help you,” the man answered hesitantly, before answering the question in earnest. “I am Lord-Inquisitor Pious Mengala, Master of the Reliquaries of Hecuba, and a friend of your former master…” Frack my life sideways was all that Silas’s exhausted brain could muster. ---- Pious Mengala’s had seen the young man brought before him; bloody, beaten, and most of all defeated. The look in the man’s face was disturbing, longing, coming across to Pious as helpless. When he announced his name and titles, the man known as Silas was visibly shaken, shrinking back. But Pious could not spare him a moment of reprieve from the grief he was feeling. In Silas’ state of shock he had called for his friends - Angel and Kiva. Where others might call out for their mothers, he had moaned Angel’s name repetitively. Pious drew in a deep breath. This man before him reminded Pious of his friend. Black hair, slender framed, and the way he carried himself were reminiscent of Yvonne. Pious could have believed they were distantly related were it not for the strange void-born eyes. The Inquisitor had moved to remove from his possessions a dataslate, and a sigil, clothed in a crimson kerchief. He reached for Silas’ hand, placing the two firmly in his grasp. The eyes that stared of him lacked conviction, lacked empathy or feeling. Silas was numb, and Pious knew that feeling all too well. It had been a mere few months ago when he was forced to bear witness to a tragedy of equal atrocity. Both caused by the very organization, the very force he represented. Yvonne would have enjoyed the irony, Pious thought with a bitter-sweet remembrance. “Silas,” His voice cracked just a bit, as he pulled from his thoughts. “I have come a long way, and searched for a long time, to deliver these to you…” --- “Why? Who am I to you? What was that thing shooting at us? I put a 200 gram slug in it’s left eye and it didn’t even slow down. What am I missing here?” Silas was slowly coming around. He heard Jebiden’s voice in his head. Over and over, like a mantra: Tears are easy, but duct-tape works better. “I am a friend,” Pious insisted. “You have earned the enmity of the Inquisition, and they have sent their monsters out for your blood. Because they do not want you succeed in the task your master has set upon you…” With that said, Pious pulled the kerchief, revealing the Inquisitorial Sigil and the Dataslate. “Yvonne entrusted these to me to be brought to you, his dying wish.” So they killed him. almost wonder what it was for. Not that they ever needed a reason to kill anybody. But why leave me his Sigil? “You know my name. You knew where to find me. If you know that much it stands to reason you know a hell of a lot more.” Pious nodded. “Then you know that I am the last person in the ‘verse that anyone would leave this to.” Pious let out a deep breath. “It took a long time, tracing the possibilities of fate to deduce where you’d be. It was Yvonne’s desire for you to come into your inheritance; earlier than he intended, and under starkly different conditions, but we did not have the privilege of arriving at this moment under a reasonable state of affairs. All that we have done, we have done to ensure your survival, to ensure his legacy remains intact.” “What legacy? What was he trying to do?” Pious Mengala stared into Silas’ eyes, his lips about to move when the ship they were on rocked heavily, forcing them all to brace themselves. Davien squaked while Coriola almost threw up. “There isn’t much time,” Pious cried out. “Silas, there is an Arbites fleet in orbit. 624-VL has been earmarked for a tactical purge by a joint task-force spearheaded by the very man who has sworn to destroy the entirety of Yvonne’s contacts, including those he called friends among the Black Run.” Silas could hear and see the multiple auspex rigs, xenos tightbeam radars and ladar, multispectral scopes and other assorted sensory devices he himself had installed chiming across the OPOS. “It’s happening now,” Pious said again, straightening himself. “Silas, in better times this would be done with ritual, embracing the responsibility of the office with the most esteemed of your peers. Lacking the time, I am forced to hasten what otherwise would be an austere event.” The older man placed his left hand on the sigil in Silas’ hand, and with his right braced his palm on Silas’ forehead. “Yvonne wished for you to inherit his office, his rank, to be the bearer of all that he had worked hard to protect and defend. Silas, Son of Mandragora, I am the witness to your ascension to the rank of Inquisitor, and you have been charged with the protection of the realms of Men.” Silas registered what had just happened, but at the moment it seemed oddly insignificant. His mind was in overdrive, but on an entirely different set of problems. He grabbed the side of the cot he had fallen off, pulling himself upright. “Someone give me a boot.” Coriala removed one of her traveler's boots and offered it to Silas. He snatched it, tore of his Shemagh, and shoved it down into the shoe before putting the makeshift prosthetic on the stump of his right ankle. Ignoring the lightning storm going off in his shinbone, he hopscotched his way past the old man and into the cockpit to find Curt Tharmon in the pilot seat and his old friend Barkus riding shotgun. Yet another set of desperate questions got crammed into the already overflowing backburner of his mind. Silas grabbed Curt by the shoulder. “Get the frack out of my chair.” he said. The young man obeyed and Silas took hold of the familiar controls. “How far are we from the arbites?” He asked. Barkus seemed put out. “What, no ‘hello,’ ‘how are you,’ ‘thank you for saving my life,’ anything?” “How far?” “13.9 AUs and counting.” <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9HsVScOYWo" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9HsVScOYWo</a> “Just enough time then.” Silas muttered as he spun the OPOS and lit the plasma-drives. “What are you doing?” Pious said as he, accompanied by Coriola, joined the three at the entrance of the cockpit. “Hundred thousand plus men women and children on that station. You just gave me a job: protect people. That’s what I’m doing.” As they neared squawk range, Silas reached up and grabbed the overhead handset. “All stations, hard scramble. Evac and jump. Arbites incoming. Authentication Silas-OPOS-173-2.” He changed to an open Imperial channel “Arbite fleet at 23/3/23 from station, This is Silas the Heretek. My coordinates are 9/179/4 and 9 AUs from station. You want me, come and fracking take me you bastards.” Pious was about to choke on his words when Coriola grabbed his hand to halt him. Her eyes were near-blank, but her words rang with clarity, “What we do today, its not out of fear or hatred, it is done because there is no other way and it is done in the name of the many lives we are failing to save,” she spoke to the Inquisitor Lord, her words lost to Silas, who was already too lost in the moment… Divided I will Stand; And I will let this end... Silas turned to the gaggle of people behind him. “Somebody get down to the warp core. Blue panel, 2’/3’, red latch. open it and near the bottom will be two golden conductor panes. tear them out and bring them here.” He turned to Barkus “Power shunt controls are on the panel to the left of your seat. wait 30 ticks then reroute everything to the engines, forward ablatives and the warp core. when they start shooting at us, kill the gyro limiters and start spooling for a jump.” “Won’t that be suicide?” Curt said incredulously, almost spitting up. “only if you don’t do everything I tell you exactly as I tell you.” Coriola returned from the aft holding the conductors that Silas had requested. He took them and smashed them to pieces on the floor. “Were those-” Barkus started “The wake dampener relays. Yep. when we jump anything inside of 1000 meters of us is gunna have a real bad day.” Barkus broke into a grin that would have been right at home on a holo-flic super villain. “Crazy Ivan” he said. “Crazy muther fracking Ivan” Silas echoed. Pious interrupted then, “Set these coordinates,” he instructed, handing Silas hand-written coordinates. “Where are they to?” “To the Askellon Sector, to meet with General Helius Shou” Pious said. Coriola broke between them, and placed her hand on Silas’ shoulder. “Where your fate is writ upon the stars of Narlia’s Caress.” -Fin-
Birth of the Crow Run They were in warp transit now. The jump-clock said 5 days till exit, and 2 days since entry. Silas was in his quarters. He had jury rigged a slightly more permanent prosthetic using some scrap aluminum and one of his older boots. It walked fine, that is to say, without coming off with every step, and it could push a rudder pedal, so Silas was happy with it. He had found something on his clothes though. a long, white-blue hair. Angel’s. It had set him on another bout of fighting back tears. When he finally managed to compose himself, he took the hair and shoved it down into the opening of his rifle-shell necklace. Then he went out to do something. anything but sit on his ass. He ran into Coriola in the neck of the OPOS. “You can have your boot back” he said, handing her the piece of footwear he had borrowed. Coriola held the boot in her hand, as if it were some gift or charm, idly dismissing it. “Silas...are you ok? It’s been a day since you’ve spoken to me.” “I’ll live. Maybe. I’m sorry I snapped at you. You were just doing your job and I, well, I was hurting worse than I had in a long, long time. I had no right putting that on you.” “It has been stressful for all of us Silas,” Coriola said, putting the boot down. “I am just concerned for your health.” “I said I’ll live,” Silas started walking past her, then he stopped. “I need to ask you something. Why do you keep saving my life? First Scriptotus, then Relay 12, now whatever we end up calling this mess in a few months. Why is it you always seem to be right on hand to pull me out of the fire? Why do you even care?” Coriola paused, taken back by the sudden question after so many days of not speaking to each other. Had it really taken him that long to come to this moment? “If you could see the twisting strands of Fate, if you could see the vortex that surrounds you as others have, you would understand why. You are destined for something greater,” Coriola hesitated. Her own words sounded contrived, ludicrous even. “Men like Yvonne and Pious can sense it, others fear it. The Inquisition itself have deemed you worthy enough to be annihilated by their most feared and talented assassins. Where you walk, destiny rings and ripples, and history itself is forged in your wake.” “That’s funny. I never bought into destiny. Everywhere I go, people try to tell me about fate and greater callings. I just ignored it. I hated the idea that I wasn’t the one steering the ship. Now, I guess I have to admit there’s something to it. To what Ashetara told me as a child, to what Jeb told me on the Martin, what Mengsk and Mengala and you keep going on about. But what happens when the child of destiny just wants to be left alone?” Coriola gave a small smile. The sort of smile one gives to a child that simply doesn’t understand a concept yet, laced with just enough sorrow in her brows. “You can never be alone, Silas. No distance across the void will allow you to fight it. I wish...I could change everything.” “Well then maybe it’s time we gave it a try. Maybe it’s time we did change everything.” Silas walked off and into the cockpit to find Barkus arguing with Mengala. “I’m telling you, I’ve known that kid since he first figured out how to walk. He’s seen more of the ugly side of hell than any of you inquisitors could imagine. He’s more than earned the right to-- oh. Good to see you out of that tin-shithouse you call a room. That was some stunt back there. Always wanted to try an Ivan. How bad you think we hurt ‘em?” “Bad enough to drydock everything in that flotilla for a decade if my math is right. Now I need a favor. Tell me what those Imp bastards did to my baby. she doesn’t hum right anymore.” “Reinforced hull plating, integrated Inquisitorial Cogitator data-banks, and hexagrammatical wardings throughout the main hull,” Pious Mengala stated flatly. “The imps did a real bang up job on the power flow,” Barkus complained. “Can’t use almost half the systems without tripping somethin’ or another.” “Necessary for a vessel of this size,” Pious explained. “Precautions must be-” “Precautions my ass. She flew fine the way I built her. Now she’s got too much weight on her hips. RCS can’t swing her like they used to. Used to have a Plessy K2 main drive. that little toy battery you put in there can’t handle the drain off the main shunt, that’s why she’s shorting out. And why the hell did you think armor was a good idea? The Ablatives she had were just fine, and I even had a chameleon rig set up. I swear to Joss, if you’re cog-boys tore out the thermal sinks-” “-Completely replaced, I’m afraid,” Pious interrupted. “During the refits, we had to make many small adjustments to the Ascendent,” He said, mentioning the OPOS’ apparently new name without consideration to Silas’ thoughts. “What did you just call her? Did you just tell me that you gave my baby girl an Imperial name? Barkus, head aft for a bit. You’re not going to want to be around for this.” The wok nodded, getting up and closing the cockpit hatch behind him. “Here’s what’s gunna happen:” Silas started in a tone that offered no room for interpretation. “In five days, we are going to come out of warp transit and deliver your little letter. Then we are going to hang out in the hangar bay of This rogue trader Shou while you use your considerable inquisitorial wallet to pay for all the materials I’m gunna need to fix my baby girl. Then you and I will personally rechristen her OPOS.” Silas sat down in the Pilot seat. “These used to be Grox-leather. REAL leather.Fracked if I know why the hell you thought any of it needed to be changed.” “The Ascendant - the OPOS,” Pious corrected himself, taking care to tackle Silas’ fluctuating feelings into consideration,” has been prepared for a multitude of combat situations - situations I believe you’ll soon find are worthy of her refitting.” “Combat ops huh? flew plenty of those without up-armor. Always figured I was safe with sheer maneuverability. Outrun them, hide from them, needle at their heels. Never get into a straight up fight. If you can't fight em, you bluff. If you can’t bluff em, you run. If you can’t run, you play dirty.” Silas was punching commands idly into the center console. His eyes were misty, barely focused. “ The sort of combat a black runner might get into,” Pious sighed. “Not the sort she’s prepared for now.” “You know there’s just a few things about what happened at 624-VL that I just can’t seem to make fit.” Pious rose a brow. “Go on…” “That was a Vindicare. You say they are the greatest snipers in existence. It was putting down shots that I would have called impossible if I hadn’t seen them. It was shooting at targets through feet of ferrocrete.” Silas continued to punch commands. “Yes, they are the greatest snipers throughout the known galaxy,” Pious answered, starting to arrive at where the man was leading him. “Easily capable of downing a battle-hardened Astartes, in fact.” “So why am I not dead? It barely even shot at me. I put a round right in it’s face, and it ignored me. It could have taken my head off a dozen times, but I only lost my foot. It really wanted Angel and Kiva dead though. For every shot it took at me, I counted 5 it took at them.” Silas leaned back from the console. “I am going to ask you a question. And if I don’t like your answer, we are all going to die.” A flashing light appeared on the digital readout, accompanied by what looked like a countdown timer. 90 seconds Pious had been listening, his face unmoving until then. He rose his brow again, contemplating those words deeply. “Ask then. I shall answer.” “The Vindicare was yours. I have no doubt about that. You ordered it to kill Angel and Kiva. You wanted them dead so you could swoop in, “rescue” me, and use me for whatever the hell this is leading up to. I need you to tell me why.” 80 seconds “The truth is worse than that, I’m afraid,” Pious said after three seconds of judging his next words. “The Vindicare was not one of mine. He was dispatched by a rival, a firebrand Inquisitor called Konstantin. However,” He paused, a few more seconds. “He attacked your friends more aggressively, because Coriola and I threw projections to mislead the assassin to believing your friend was you.” “I didn’t see any projections. What I saw was the woman I loved shot through the heart. You need to do better than that” 67 Seconds Pious would have smiled then if it were not for the severity of the situation. Just as much as a hot-head as Yvonne had been. “Do you know how hard it is to fool an agent of the Officio Assassinorum, Silas? It is not a trifle task to accomplish.” “I’m not a psyker old man. I can’t read your mind and tell if you are lying. I need you to convince me.” Silas stood “Convince me! Convince me that it was all some grand series of miserable coincidences! Convince me she didn't die for me! Convince me that the her death isn’t the reason I am alive right now! Because if it is, I would rather put a round in my own head then live with the weight of knowing I am here because she took my bullet.” 58 Seconds The Inquisitor-Lord could tell him that it wasn’t the case, that his friend had died due to some quirk of chance, but he knew the truth. He was not lying. Lying to Silas now would not be appropriate, and if he backed down, if he spared him the truth due to some sympathy within him, or otherwise treated Silas as an invalid, it would defeat the whole point of his mission. “Her death is the very reason you are alive,” Pious announced unapologetically, his voice growing grave and serious. It was the voice of a true Inquisitor. “If you want to cast blame upon yourself, do so. If you wish to hold me culpable for her death, do so. Either case is true, Silas. It was my decision to sacrifice your friends for the sake of saving your life, so their deaths fall upon us both.” 52 Seconds 51 50 49 “Why is it so important for me to live? I have no reason to be here anymore! My friends, my family, my home, and now Angel, The Imperium you serve has taken everything from me! WHAT MORE CAN YOU WANT?!? Is it not enough for them to slaughter us in their own borders? They have to burn the entire Black Run to the ground now?” Silas’s infantile rage was suddenly given sharp focus. Purpose. He stopped the countdown “They want to stamp out everything that we are. They want the galaxy safe and sober, robbed of all spirit and life. They want us all dead.” He turned to look Pious in the eyes for the first time. His voice was full of vindication and seething hate. “They can’t do it though. Men like me, we’re like cockroaches; no matter how many of us you stomp on, there are always ten more somewhere else. Only difference is we’re tired of getting stomped on. “I know we can’t fight them where they are, but there are still places out there that they don’t own. Let them fall on the Black Run, we’ll find a new place to be free. And I’ll be there to make sure it happens. I’ll lead the Runners into the hinterspaces and the unknown regions beyond the edges of the map. I’ll save the way of life I love from people like you who. I’ll make sure a thousand years from now, they can remember what we did here. Remember the Seven, and live free.” “And fight you shall,” Inquisitor Mengala said with iron to his voice. “Know that men like you are exactly what is needed in this age. Yvonne knew this; and he recruited for the very purpose you seem to believe he would have fought against. He knew that the Imperium had lost touch with the humanity it swore to protect and defend. He knew craven lords and sycophantic adepta would be the downfall of this sector, the downfall of many sectors. He knew all of this - and he had taken steps to bring back the spirit of humanity back to the Imperium. You know nothing of the man you once called master, or the very goals he strived for Silas, Son of the Void, you know nothing of the true goals of the Ordo Bestilius.” “Then quit spouting about how much I don’t know and tell me already.” Pious gave a sad smile. His voice grew soft again. He was Pious, just Pious then. “Inquisitor Yvonne Mengsk was a supporter of the Black Run. He was in league with those who were preparing to hold a rebellion against the Imperial Armada, and see the reformation of the Inquisition itself from within - He had vowed to remind the Inquisition what it fought for, for the humanity it swore to protect. He believed in it, more so than any of us; walking the edge between what must be done in service and what had to be to preserve rationality in an age of insanity. Yvonne not only believed in it, he was willing to die for it, to die for the freedom of his own humanity and his own guilt of serving such tyrannical masters…” ----- Silas stood in front of a crowd he didn’t expect to be there. He was about to dictate a message to the Astropathic choir of General Shou’s flagship. It was a message to all free men of the Black Run. Coriola, Pious, Barkus, General Shou, the Progenii, they had all come to watch history write itself. Damn. If there is one place I never expected to wind up…. Silas began speaking “Free Runners of Mandragora. Outcasts of the Imperium. Brothers and Sisters of the Black. Seven days ago, the Arbites and Inquisition of the Imperium of Man launched an assault upon the peaceful station of 624-VL. This attack was unprovoked, unnecessary, and cost the lives of several thousand on both sides.” Silas paused. He almost couldn’t believe the words were coming out of his mouth “For years, the Black Run has been a place of sanctuary. A place where people of all races, nations, and creeds could come together without fear. It has been the safe harbor for those who the warring factions of this galaxy have trampled underfoot without mercy. With this attack, the Imperium has made it clear that it cannot tolerate the notions of peace, love, tolerance, or compassion. “We have endured this treatment for far too long. I come before you today to tell you that I will no longer sit idle while innocent souls parish. I was at the second war for Alamo Rock. I saw the Purge of Paeralix. I rushed the flotilla at 624-VL, and I have decided I have had enough! As of today, I declare the formation of a new sovereignty in the Hinterspaces between Mandragora and Askellon. Crows of the void, children of the Black, I will see you liberated from the heel of tyranny. I will see freedom reign in this galaxy again. “I am Silas, Son of the Void, Brother to Poets and Pirates, Last Survivor of the Gadston Martin, and I say we are free!” Silas, Son of the Void, spoke with words of conviction. In attendance aboard General Shou’s flagship were men who bore witness to history in the making. Men whose names would go down in annals across entire sectors. But if Silas knew the truth, he might not have spoken so passionately - for in attendance that day were the Astartes of the Dragon Knights chapter. The very chapter that would be remembered as those who purged the Black Run of Mandragora. But his words were spoken true, and in the years to come they would be answered. First by the great rebellion, then the formation of the Meritech strongholds. Centuries would pass, but his words would ring out across time, remembered at the dawn of the 41st Millennium as the last spark of hope. The last spark of freedom in a galaxy that knew only war...

Edited 1440283092
Plastic and blood co-mingled. Sweat added for the tang of salt. Mind full of regret, hate, sadness and betrayal. The only sound available the low buzz of the commbead and the distant hiss of the wind on the rails. Fingers clawing their way into the palms; Metal on metal, scraping. The disappearing light at the end of the tunnel, a battlefield now behind, with a single lone corpse in focus; The other already missing. Two standing figures, staring at him and quickly leaving. He would never forget those four, the dead or the living. He had seen the lies the living weave, of good that needs serving and of evil that needs vanquishing. Yet there were now two dead innocents, left in their wake. In their, and in his. Aksai grit his teeth behind the concealing rebreather, biting back a howl that was attempting to erupt from his throat. No time for that. Not here. Not now. You could have saved them The thought came unbidden, clawing its way from the back of his mind to the forefront. He pushed it back and turned on his perch. The train he had landed on was quickly speeding towards its destination, egged along by the sound of sirens and frantic announcements in an unknown language. So this is what it feels like to be on the other end of the stick Aksai grabbed a hold of the roof of the train, grunting as he activated the power-fields in his hands and wrenched a hole in the plassteel, quickly slipping through it. He landed inside a dimly lit railcar, his cloak fluttering to a still as he landed, activating the chameleoline which acclimated to the gray interior. From his crouched position, he couldn’t see anyone else in the car. All of the blinds of the train had been closed shut, so he had no idea what was in here. Whatever it was, he thought as he stood up, it was better than being out there. He ascertained that the whole train was empty, aside from some large crates on the fore car of the train, which he ignored. There wasn’t even a driver, just a panel with some blinking control panels. Next to the command booth, there were two great rents in the walls of the train, where the “Pistolmineral Redeemer” had cut his way through. If he hadn’t been there, I could have saved them Growling, Aksai started to inspect the control panel, quickly ascertaining that he had no idea what was going on with it. The train seemed to have been set on some specific trajectory and from what little he could make of it, it was heading towards the far side of the station. With nothing to do but wait and to think about what-ifs, Aksai slammed open the door to the fore car. He was not a curious man by nature, but he would take anything but thinking in his current state. Ripping open the flakboard from the box did little to uncover what was inside; All that he found was another crate, plassteel this time, with criss-crossing yellow and white tapes all over it. He didn’t have time to start ripping that open, as the train’s brakes initiated a startlingly quick deceleration, forcing Aksai to sidestep in a rapid fashion to keep on his feet. Having arrived, and wanting to waste no time to find his way off the station somehow, he hastily moved to the side-door, forcing it open. He was left facing a dozen huge mutant creatures, five gunmen and three tech-priest -looking people who were crowded on a trainplatform, standing slightly behind a tiny bald man. They were all looking at Aksai in varying degrees of puzzlement. The silence stretched for an uncomfortably long time until the small man coughed and made some notes on a dataslate. “Nope. Nope nope. He’s not part of the cargo. Not at all.” He stared at Aksai, still tense in the doorway, trying to formulate plans for flight or fight should the situation turn violent. The space beyond was an expansive hangar housing dozens of loading crates and a huge shuttle, with multiple entrances and exits on one side and a huge void-shield protected shuttle-entrance. “You going to stand there all day or let us do our job, yeah?” The man clicked his dataslate and glared at Aksai with some annoyance. One of the large mutants moved to the side, opening the large sliding cargodoor of the traincar while Aksai slowly debarked, making sure to keep everyone in his sights. The tiny man barely waited for him to get out of the doorway as he sidled past, muttering about delays. The three tech-priests, who had a surprising amount of biological matter still left on their frame, followed suit. The last one glanced at Aksai. “Place going boom, boy. We out. Wanna ride?” The former Inquisitorial Arbite quickly looked at the large shuttle taking most of the space in the hangar, then turned back and nodded to the tech-priest. The man offered no response as he went inside, but one of the gunmen beckoned to Aksai to follow. As he didn’t have any other plan he slowly did so, still wary of these unknown people. A few annoyed shouts from inside the train later, one of the large mutants entered, passing one of the flakboard crates to another who easily carried it to the cargolift of the shuttle. Aksai noted that the gunmen were all well-armed with gleaming lasguns and carapace armor, adjusted to fit their considerable musculature. He also noted that none of them really seemed to care about him, as only one gunman was set to escort him to the shuttle. There was a click, and a raspy voice, modulated by vox came from his escort. “Was jus’ a matter a’ time, y’know.” Aksai didn’t respond, letting the gunman continue rasping “Th’ Black got too big for their britches. Big I of M ain’t goin’ to stand rogues long. An’ then there’s-” His small-talk was cut short by a booming explosion from one of the hangar doors, a vast plume of fire and smoke sending shrapnel into the hangar. “THERE IS NO ESCAPE, HERETICS!” An echoing, louder-than-life voice bellowed from the entry as a giant strode through the fire like it was mere mist. Even at a distance, there was no mistaking one of the Emperor’s Own: An Astarte, full of fury and unstoppable like an avatar of destruction. Clad in ochre and gray, four Dragonknights entered the hangar, bolters already blazing at the gathered mutants. The rasping gunman swore “Full blood and bustin’ bassids! Get’cher wits an’ on the ship!” he turned and started running to the shuttle, with Aksai quick on his heels. The gunman was moving prodiguously fast, his legs eating up the few dozen metres they still had to go in seconds. Even with his belt, Aksai had trouble keeping up, especially after the Astartes started hosing bolts towards them. For their part, the large mutants seemed completely ignorant to the heavy bolts impacting wetly on their flesh, even after one of them was reduced to mash. The gunmen were running back and forth from cover, firing quick bursts of las at the advancing Astartes to no apparent effect. “HEAR OUR NAME AND DESPAIR, HERETICS!” the Marine at the front bellowed, holding a power sword high over him as he continued to fire his bolter at anything moving “THE GOD-EMPEROR’S DRAGONKNIGHTS HAVE ARRIVED TO BRING YOUR DOOM!” The gunman arrived at the airlock before Aksai, slamming onto the door, breathing heavily. One of the bolts had caught him in the torso, and he was bleeding profusely. The impact of the explosive had torn the gunman’s carapace to shreds, leaving a messy crater on his flesh that exposed more than a few ribs. Despite the gruesome wound, the man was still going. “Open th’ door!” he shouted, his rebreather wheezing as he gasped for breath as Aksai took cover next to him. The man was wrestling with the manual controls of the airlock with shaking hands. Looking over to where the large mutants were still serenely loading the crates onto the cargolift, and getting viciously shot at, Aksai noted the the tiny man was now heading towards them. As the last of the crates was lowered onto the cargolift, it immediately started rising, and the tiny man took a deep breath. “Bio-servitors! Make daddy proud!” the bald man shouted, and waved a dismissive hand at the Astartes. A hand which was taken off by a stray bolt. Rather than the normal reaction of screaming in agony and rolling on the ground, the tiny man only glanced at the hand and clicked his tongue. Other bolts now streaming their way were exploding mid-air, as some kind of protective field finally took effect. As soon as the tiny man issued his order, the large mutants changed their demeanor completely, now bellowing and shaking in a frenzy as bony claws erupted from their forearms and started charging at the Astartes. Aksai saw one of them with a man-sized hole in its torso attempt to grab the leading Astarte in a bear-hug, only to get its head cloven right off. Fully engaged in melee with the large mutants, these ‘Bio-servitors’, the remaining gunmen and the small man’s delegation quickly reached the airlock, which opened right in time to let the tiny man in. With one last glance at the melee, which revealed that the large mutants were losing handily as expected of someone facing the demi-god Astartes, Aksai piled in after the last gunman. “FILTH!” The leader of the Astartes bellowed as he bisected a mutant with his power sword while blasting a point-blank bolt into another’s face, managing to extricate himself from the melee. With grace and speed defying his massive, tank-like form, the space marine sprinted towards the shuttle with his bolter sending bolt after bolt at it. His sprint turned into a hasty roll behind a loading crate as the shuttle’s two twin-linked heavy bolters started to spew punishing fire at him. Barely behind cover, the Astarte noticed how the impacts of the bolts seemed to melt through the ceramite and steel plating of the hangar like butter. The hail soon ceased abruptly, as the boom of engaging afterburners turned the hangar white. “COWARDS!” The leader bellowed one last time, unheeded by the disappearing shuttle. — “Supermen, HA!!” the tiny leader of the band of mutants laughed as he calmly walked through the doors to the inner shuttle “Give me ten thousand years and I’ll surpass them! Ha ha! HA!!!” The band of mutants and Aksai had barely noticed the rapid acceleration of the shuttle, the inertial dampeners in the ship detecting to the thrust and compensating accordingly. The inside of the shuttle was spartan, its walls and floor a sterile white with bright white lights inlaid in them. The band had entered a small common area of the ship now, some of the gunmen settling heavily into the chairs lining the walls. The few tables were clean, with only one of them having a pack of tarot cards in a pile. “’Ey there, take a load orf.” The gunman who had been showing Aksai the way waved at him from where he was seated. The warrior looked after the tiny old man and his two helpers, who entered a door towards the end of the room, into what looked like the cargobay. He warily sat down across from his escort, who was pulling out a dented flask with a rubber straw. They all lurched a bit to the side as the ship did some maneuvers. “Ya got some awful stench ‘bout you.” The man said, and placed the straw into a hole in his rebreather “No offense.” Aksai grunted “The Inquisition was there.” The gunman slurped on his straw audibly “Th’ ‘Quisition, th’ astartes, th’ bleedin’ navy. Arbites up our bum, eh. Woulda been gorn afore, but boss wanted his toys.” “Who is ‘boss’?” “Jus’ a crazy ol’ coot who’s handy as a daemon at what ‘e does. Rich, t’boot.” The man pulled a glass from under the table and proffered it “Drink?” Shaking his head, Aksai stood “Can I talk to boss?” “Prolly. Best wait ‘til he’s got his fill o’ tha toys. ‘E loves ‘is toys, ‘aite?” The man took another pull from his straw “You was me? Sit’n relax. If’n they blow us out’a tha void out there?” his words were punctuated by another lurch as the inertial dampeners raced to compensate for the maneuvers &nbsp;“Best do it wif a drink ‘n in a relax’d mind. Still got sum way to tha ship.” “Ship?” “Ya think we’re outrunnin’ tha warp-ruttin’ navy with this clunker?” Another lurch, this time more pronounced, caused another gunman to swear loudly “’Course we got a ship. Ya jus’ stick wif us, ‘aite? Buff guv like ya, always handy.” Aksai didn’t reply to this, glad of the rebreather and visor that hid his face perfectly. In truth, he was no longer all there; Going on autopilot, guided by his survival instincts and some remains of his training. His mind was not on the future, but on the past, the lull giving him time to think. He hated it. The door opposite of the cargobay took that moment to open, and revealed a man in green robes wearing an elaborate tiara on his head. His features were hidden by a smooth white mask. As soon as he appeared, the gunmen all rose up in a semblance to attention. “Who who. You?” The robed man craned his mask to the left and right, and Aksai to his horror noticed that it was no mask; His face was utterly smooth, featureless. The thing’s fingers ended in ragged nails, almost talons, which he was pointing from gunman to gunman. Until it pointed at Aksai. “Who? Who. Who?” the thing approached Aksai with a peculiar gait, every second step lowering to an almost huddling posture, until he was right next to the now-standing warrior “You.” Faster than the eye could see, the thing slapped its palm onto Aksai’s armored chest. Almost immediately, the thing screeched, the gunmen nearby flinging onto the seats and against walls from the unseen force of the faceless’s cry, while Aksai only took a step back. The thing’s screech slowly petered out as it collapsed onto the floor into a pile. “Well that’s that. And that’s nice.” The gunmen were barely recovering as Aksai turned around to face the cheerful voice behind him. It was the tiny old man, holding a small orb in his hands. With a toothy grin, the man pressed a button on it, Aksai’s instincts already forcing him to dodge away from it. With a sickening retching sound, the orb spewed out a green gel towards Aksai, which expanded rapidly into a spindly spiderweb shape that quickly encompassed his whole side of the common room, trapping the gunmen and the faceless. With no room to dodge the webgel, he swung his cloak back and swung at the strands, hoping to cut through them with his power fields. To his dismay, he found that while the strands he did hit snapped off and blackened, the loose strands quickly adhered to every part that was not protected with a power field! His legs were quickly stuck with multiple strands, not to mention his cloak, mask and armor. “Dohoho! I like this one!” The tiny man laughed as Aksai hacked away at the web, trying to extricate himself from the quick-hardening gel “Nulls usually just sit, crying like a little wee child! This one fights! I like him! I like him!!” He had now cut off one of his legs from the gel, and was about to swing at the clump holding his other as he was struck by a two other clumps of gel. These were fired from bulbous rifles held by the tiny man’s two helpers, who had appeared from the cargobay. “Ah, Fate!” the tiny old man mused as he virtually pirouetted towards the straining berserk, still trying to reach the quickly hardening gel “Fate provides! Fate gives! Sometimes, sometimes, sometimes it takes~~!” The giggling old man was now right in front of Aksai, standing on the whimpering clump of gel and robes that was the faceless thing. The barbarian’s power fielded hand was mere inches from the old man’s face, straining futilely against the rockcrete-hard webbing. His eyes glowing with a mixture of pure insanity and glee, the old man leaned right up to Aksai’s be-masked face “Fate. Ah, mine is all out. But you.. Yours shines like a beacon in the endless dark that is mine own world.” Aksai could only growl in reply, his mind throwing up its own accusations of incompetence, being lulled to a trap and other tripes. He shouted his defiance at the old man, straining hard against the webs holding him in place. “Yes! Fight!” the old man danced away, his two assistants approaching now. Both extending their mechadendrites behind them “Fight! Fight and become the strongest, the mightiest!” Unable to evade the lunging syringe-tipped mechadendrites, Aksai could only scream and struggle futilely against his prison, feeling a cold numbness spread from the places where the syringes had struck him. “Fight.” The old man was still dancing gleefully behind his two helpers, who were now silently observing as Aksai’s screams started to lose their punch. Aksai’s tongue felt like it was puffed full of air as he tried to scream one last time, his vision fading from the sides into a welcoming darkness, as the giddily dancing old man approached him once more as nothing but a wavering phantasm. “Fight, my son. Fight and make daddy proud.” — *Flash* An old voice, frustrated “-is a Blank. A null. Of course you could not see, so it must be fate.” Monotone “He is not one of them. That much is clear. The words and hymns are-” Frustrated shout “And that is why I want him! Damn it, do you even know how fate works?! Oh sure, the prophecy says, there will be an “Ork” who is “Not an Ork”, but that already happened. I think.” A pause “I don’t care. I have a Blank. One does not look a gift grox in the mouth. Unless you want to eat whatever it ate.” Monotone again “The words mention not a passage, a void in the Immaterium. He is not a part of it.” Frustrated mumbling “You can shove the prophecy into your butthole, oh wait. You don’t have one! Leave me alone! I have arms to gro-!” *Flash* A pencil tapping on a solid surface “Stupid bloody arms. Grow right.” Sound of liquids being shuffled, the gray void of sight judders and shadows blear into vision “Oops. That’s the stasis field. Now, how about thi-” *Flash* Light. A laboratorium, filled with huge tanks and rows of medical equipment and chemicals. Strange forms float in the tanks. A door opens on the side. “Good morning.” A small form, holding a mug knocks on the glass, causing vibrations through the liquid enveloping me “Got your arms, eh? Eh? Took a while. Oh!” The form pulls a small trolley off from the side into view, lifts two L-shaped forms from it. “Got your replacements here. Damn nice. Nice. Shame to throw ‘em.” A pause “You know what. Now that I think about it. Yeah. Hey. Yeah!” The form hurries away to the side, shouting gleefully “Prep the theater, prep the theater! I got a great ide-!” *Flash* Pain! Pain! Vision returns, red in the edges, a bright light in front! Restrained, cannot move, back arches! “Oops.” A guttural howl of agony erupts from deep inside me, tasting blood, pain, bile! “Wait just a second there, okay?” Arms on fire, ripped out, fire and agony all over the torso! Where are my arms?! Where are my arms?! “Time for a nap, my boy.” A cold numbness hits me like a sledgehammer. The pain. *Flash* Tapping on the glass, cannot see, hard to breathe. The liquid surrounds me, smothering. Cannot move. “Well the arms are taking nicely! Ha! Am I not a genius?!” A monotone voice replies “You waste your time. He is of no consequence. The Ork is important.” “Pssht. I’ve done Orks a thousand thousand times. B-O-R-I-N-G! Blanks are much more fun. And look, look!” Cannot concentrate vision. Two forms? Three? One is moving erratically. “Improvements on my child! Improvements! Hahahaha-!” Pain. The shrill sound of an alarm pierces my confines, the liquid in around me turns red. “.. Ffffuuuu-!” *Flash* “-achines in the blood. Some failsafes, couple of replicating hives. Yup. That should do it.” “Boss, I dun’ understand why ya always sayin’ this out loud.” “Quiet you. I like a captive audience. Shut up, or you’ll become one.” Eyes open. The old man and one of the guards in front of me. I reach out. Four palms slap against the glass. Four? The two men turn to look as I hold my arms out in front of me. I scream out a stream of bubbles. *Flash* I cannot move anymore. I cannot close my eyes. Trapped audience. The old man paces in front of my often, talking, as if mocking me. “..And that is how the bio-forms of the Tyranids transfer their genetic knowledge between the different fleets, I theorize. It’s all about shooting rhizomes and enzyme-packets containing carefully bio-coded strands of data. Slow, very slow. But they do good maths, somehow, and they rarely miss. I theorize. I don’t really know. They haven’t really factored into the equations or the prophecies so far. Not much fate in their kinds. Bugs. Bugs. Bugs, haha!” Pause "Or it might be the bloody Warp again. They do that, you know? Warpstuff? Psykerbugs!" The bald old man stops pacing, stares directly at me. “Sisters of Silence, my child. You know..” He looks thoughtful now “Maybe their power lied in that. Hm. Vocal chords are optional in a human, aren’t they? I think they are. Yes. Optional. Just the smallest cut and-” He is interrupted by an announcement which rings out from a vox-unit in the wall of the laboratorium “Exiting Warp transit in T-minus 5. Repeat: Exiting Warp transit in T-minus 5.” “5? 5 what?” he sounds annoyed “Dammit, I don’t know the lingo! Stupid mercs, always with acronyms and other crap. They just cannot talk like normal, and then..” His voice fades as he walks out of the room, talking loudly as he recedes into other parts of the ship. I remain staring at the same spot. *Flash* The alarms have been going on for some time now. There have been no announcements from the vox. I idly wonder what is happening. A splash of fear marrs my thoughts, which I find funny, considering the circumstances. My thoughts are interrupted by a huge boom which resounds through the ship, followed by an announcement “Compartments 4 through 13 compromised. Emergency sealing in progress. Standby for expedited Warp gate.” Several smaller explosions mark the following seconds, and the air outside the tank distorts as the engines of the ship struggle to open an escape from whatever is attacking it. “Warning. Gellar field malfunction. Standby for emergency repairs. … Overridden. Entering Warp transit in 3, 2, 1..” A small, strange rip opens on the far side of the laboratorium. Something enters. I do not scream. I can’t. It doesn’t take long for muffled, far away voices to compensate for my inability. *Flash* I have seen the things. The monsters. They are all around now, gorging on the fear and flesh of the ship’s passengers. They ignore me. Frozen like a fly in amber, I can only watch. The door blows in from the outside, two bulky guards enter the room, peppering lasfire at the misshapen things that notice them. The old man follows, clutching his side, followed by a large mutant carrying two crates. “Ha. Ha. Well.” The old man wheezes, leaning against my prison as his servants secure the room and lay down the two crates “They got me. Didn’t think they woulda tracked that hideout. That Inquisitor got clever in fifty years, ha!” “Boss. We got to-” “SILENCE!” The old man whips around, his voice full of authority, pointing at the guard “Do your job!” He then turns back, drops of sweat on his forehead as he leans his hand on the glass again. It leaves a reddish mark. “Now, I’m going to release you. Yes? You can kill daemons, yes? Ha. Got your gear, sure did. Didn’t touch it, even! Time to help daddy, my child.” He reaches to the side of the tank. He returns, wringing his hands “Well. Hm. Shit. Controls are busted. Ha.” “Boss, we got incoming.” One of the guards fires a burst out into the corridor they came from. The old man leans in close to the glass, grinning widely, his eyes glinting with insanity “It’s been a good run for me. Ha. End of the road. Gonna leave it to the next one. Didn’t think-” He is interrupted by a crackling announcement from the vox “Warp transit. Entering out. Entering. Out of Warp transit. T-minus 4. 11. T-minus 20. T-minus. Minus. Where is my body. Exiting Warp transit. Warning. Gellar field body. My body.” The old man snickers as the vox continues transmitting “Ha. Maybe not dead yet, huh? Fate, my child! Fate!” A thumping sound sends the guard from the door flying across the room, ending in a wet splash. The remaining guard points his gun at the doorway, only to turn his head in surprise as the bony blades of the large mutant skewer him from behind. The mutant’s head twists sideways as if on hinges, the three moist mouths growing from its neck gibbering and drooling as one of them bites the man’s head off. The old man turns back to look at me, his mouth is an open grin, showing more teeth than there should be. “I always wondered what possession would feel like. I might find out!” and he laughs shrilly as he pushes a button. Heavy metal covers slam down in front of the glass, closing me into darkness. The last thing I hear from the old man is a gurgling wet laugh, as if it were all a good joke. “T-minus. Exiting. Exiting. Exiting. Please. Please. My body.” *FLASH* The screams have ended now. The oppressive feeling that I felt is gone. It is still and silent in my cocoon. How much time has passed? Minutes? Hours? Days? The crackling voice of the vox comes on again, muffled by the shielding “Planetary body. Unknown. My body. Planetary my body. Prepare for emergency landing. I have found it. Emergency. Entering atmosphere.” A boom wracks the ship, and I can hear the groaning of its parts as it speeds through atmospheric resistance. Secondary booms are heard, vibrating my cocoon with a heavy bass staccato. “Compartmental evacuation procedure. I engage it. I. It was me. My body is here. 4157 meters to surface. Please.” A series of clicking bangs ring out outside of the cocoon, nearby. Different from the booms that are heard elsewhere. Something picks up my cocoon and tosses it, upside down and falling, and again. Red lines appear in my vision, even through the dark. Falling. My last thought before the red overtakes the darkness is of my family. Soon. — Date : 6.455.379.M39. Planet : Otnak. Planetary Classification : Death World (Pending). Atmospheric disturbance : Meteor shower. Composition : Data insufficient. Source Primaris : Local assets - Class 3 Primitive tribals. Source Secondus : Magos Biologis Otnak System Voidplatform I - Orbiting Othoj II - Addendum: Outdated auspex and augur systems, upgrade and maintenance deemed unnecessary as worlds in-sector are deemed low-priority. Conclusion : 80% of mass vaporized during atmospheric entry. Actions taken : Default protocol: No action taken. Resources from meteors estimated less than negligible.
OK, So, funny story. I actually wrote this barely days after the first season of SotI let out, in the same binge that I banged out the previous two posts by me and MC in this thread. Thing was, I never felt finished. I kept writing and writing and writing like a demented little Energizer Bunny with a pen and a cappuccino machine. Until finally, 17+ pages in, MC, who had been watching the whole thing, finally jumped up, ninja-chopped me in the throat and said "NO! You are finished! No more writing!" in a perfect Mister Miyagi impression. (No seriously, he had the headband on and everything.) But I was uwilling to post it, fearing that it still wasn't ready, and secretly hoping that I could find some way to tie it all up in a nice little ending. I never did. It sat on my harddrive and did nothing, other then cause confusion because I had never let anyone else read it. (Remember that whole fight about the Angel Drive? My original description is in here, but since the other GM's never saw it, they just decided to make up their own descriptions, hence a lot of really stupid arguing about its capabilities later on.) So if the ending seems a little like it just sorta, well, ends without any sort of wrap up or meaning, that's why. Come Join the Murder Silas was tired. It was about as much of an understatement as one could make. Titans are kinda heavy, Space is a little chilly, and Silas was tired. He was in the temporary quarters that General Shou had lent him. He had spent the last several months in communication with Black Runners and friendly xenos groups in the Hinterspaces. He was only still functioning by virtue of triple-recaf and the shadow of a hope that it was all still worth it. It was like wrestling with a herd of cats; juggling meetings, alliances, political favours…Creating a new nation sounded great in his own head, but on paper it was a nightmare. Grendal would have been right at home in all this. Where’s that shrub-hugging bastard when you need him? Silas yawned and returned to the stack of dataslates on his desk. The current dilemma was from a Klish engineer in Miranda Fields. The Imps hadn’t launched anything major against the run since 634-VL, but after Silas’s little declaration (The Crow’s Call people were calling it,) everyone knew that it was only a matter of time before the hammer fell in Mandragora. A massive migration was underway. People who had heard Silas’s message were flocking to the hinterspaces to set up new orbital posts, new trade routes, and new homes. People from all over the Black Run, of all species, even people who had nothing to do with the Black and just wanted out from under the Imperium’s heel. And the logistics for that effort were just plain terrifying. Silas was startled out of the half-awake daze he had drifted into by the sound of the hatch opening. “Silas,” Coriola’s voice filled the room. “Am I interrupting?” She asked, noticing his expression. “No. It’s fine. Just looking over this proposal from Miranda Fields. They want to evacuate, but they don’t have enough ships to hold everyone. This guy wants my help designing a way to move the entire Hub, jump it out of the nebula. I think his math is solid, but it’s gunna be a helluva time pulling it off. What did you need?” Coriola seemed shier than normal. The time that had passed since their arrival in the Askellon Sector had been enough time for the itinerant black runner to come to know her on a better footing than their brief encounter in the past. Before, the acolyte had come off as cryptic, irritatingly vague, and aloft; these days, he had come to realize, was a manifestation of her own natural shyness and mild social awkwardness. “I have a complaint to bring you,” She said in a low voice, pausing for a moment. “It’s from the Astropath Primus.” Silas sighed. “And what does he want?” “I believe he wants a break,” Coriola said with a forced smile. She handed Silas a notice of complaint from the Astropath, on behalf of the choir aboard the ship. Silas saw it had been marked for security to deliver this message upon his next arrival to deliver a communicae - denoting Coriola’s presence here completely beyond the Astropaths intentions. “Well, he has been going nonstop for a while. I’ll let him know he should get his men working in shifts. This isn’t going to let up anytime soon. Anyway, why did you bring this yourself? You know they have people for that. Figured Mengala would be keeping you busy.” Silas got up and made his way to the Recaff pot on the back wall for another refill. “I’m...I wanted to check in on you,” Coriola stumbled on her words, as she moved closer to Silas. “You’ve been holed up here for awhile, almost as much as the Navigators in their spires. It’s a long way to Scarus, Silas. It’s unhealthy to sequester yourself.” “What else should I do? This isn’t going to slow down anytime soon, and the Runners need all the help I can give them. I’m trying to save lives here. I can’t let up now. Shit, I sound like one of them.” “Like one of who?” Coriola asked, putting her hand on his shoulders. Had that been too forward? The thought passed in her head briefly. “Mensk, Mengala, all the people I kept swearing I’d never turn into….Don’t look at me like that.”“Like what?” She asked “Like that. Whenever we talk you look at me like you’re taking notes or something.” The Recaff pot was empty. He started another. “This stuff’s gunna kill me one of these days. You want some?” “Thank you,” She said, nodding. Silas poured a cup and handed it to her. She took a small sip, almost reluctantly from her expression. “They aren’t bad people you know,” Coriola said after a moment of silence. “I met Mengsk before. He was a lot like you.” “I know. People keep saying that. It’s funny. The whole reason I became a Runner was because I didn’t want to be under anybody elses flag. Now, I’m waving a flag of my own. A flag that reads ‘Freedom from Flags’ no less. Now I get what they kept going on about, sacrificing oneself to protect people. But I still think they were on the wrong side. Does that make me a hypocrite?” Silas downed half his mug in one gulp. The stuff tasted painfully bitter, but it kept him awake. “I don’t know what that makes you, Silas.” Coriola said with a faint smile. “Everyone has to make their own choices. I couldn’t imagine going through the decisions I’ve seen such men have to make.” She attempted to take another sip of the recaff. “I can’t say I would be as strong if I were in their place.” Coriola set the cup of recaff down on the counter beside the retherm-pot. “May I ask you a personal question?” Coriola asked, seeming more withdrawn than normal. “I owe you my skin 3 times over now. You don’t need to ask permission like that. Shoot.” Coriola gave her faint smile again. Absent minded, she was subconsciously twisting a strand of her dark hair. “You hate the Imperium. You have focused so much time orchestrating a sedition of the Black Run, to escape to a place where the Adeptus cannot bring harm to people like you. Why do you try so hard, knowing the reaction will be severe? The Imperium does not abide secessionism of any sort,” She paused. She breathed in. “Do you even know how the Imperium protected the Black Run? There is more to the picture than an oppressive regime Silas. There is much more out there in this galaxy than men turning on men.” Silas leaned against the wall, letting out a long breath. “That’s exactly why I’m doing this. There are so many people out there with so many ideas, beliefs, cultures. When I ran the black, I heard a billion languages, saw a billion different points of view, a billion different outlooks on life. You know how many I saw on imperial worlds?” Coriola Shook her head. “One. One language, one belief, one culture, one idea. And if anybody didn’t like that idea, they either changed their minds fast or bad things happened to them.” He put his hands on Coriola’s shoulders, looking her in the eye. “You have no idea how right you are when you say that there is so much more to the picture. Humanity isn’t just one thing, it is a collage of more colors than you or I, or anyone can ever appreciate. And Humanity is just one species in a galaxy full of life. The Black Run was a place where worlds collided. Where a human artist and an eldar artist could learn from each other, where a wok story teller could amaze children with wild tales from a thousand worlds. “That’s a beautiful thing, and maybe that’s why people like Mengsk and Mengala tried to protect it. But they can’t anymore. The Imperium is on the warpath, and we need to get out of their way before we are crushed. Look there.” Silas pointed to the porthole on the wall. “What am I looking for, Silas?” Coriola had broken her silence, looking into the porthole. “See all that? Every one of those dots is a star. Every tenth one is a whole galaxy full of stars. The Imperium can’t own them all. The universe is more than big enough for all of us, we just have to find the room.” Coriola sighed. “Silas, the Imperium doesn’t stand for idealism. But there aren’t many left who do.” she smiled then, turning away from the porthole. “I...I just hope you know I’m concerned for you. Is there...anything I can do to help you?” She was uncomfortable and it showed. Her sudden change of the conversation was the cue. “If this is about Angel, I don’t want to talk about it.” Silas’s face went gaunt. What life had been in him during his little speech faded. He didn’t look angry, just tired and sad. But he was doing his best to bury it. Coriola didn’t say a word then, but moved close towards Silas. She put her hands on his arms, looking up into his eyes. “This isn’t about that,” She whispered, staring into his soul. “This is about you…” “What does that mean?” The diviner stare was unsettling in its duration. She seemed in a trance of sorts - but not like the few times Silas had seen when she had her ‘visions’. This was something else. Coriola then did something quite unexpected, catching Silas off course completely - she had shut her eyes and tilted her head to kiss him.. The kiss didn’t last long, only a few seconds, but when it was over, something in Silas gave. He locked eyes with Coriola for a split second, then hugged her close as he began to weep. Everything he had suffered, everyone he had lost, it all came gushing to the surface. And all he could do as they slumped to the floor, crying, was whisper, over and over; “I’m sorry...I’m sorry...I’m sorry…” Coriola slid easily down with Silas. While he was crying, his back against the wall, she wrapped her arms around him, laying her head against his shoulders. She breathed, not whispering, but speaking in a low tone nonetheless. “You asked me...why,” She stopped, almost afraid to say more. “But from the first time I saw you, I knew I loved you...” They stayed like that for a long time, until they both fell asleep in eachother's’ arms. ***** Silas felt good as he prepared the OPOS for transit, better than he had in a long time. The previous night with Coriola had been...awkward for him, but it was the first time he had slept in- 3 days? 4? And when he had gotten up and started moving again, it felt like he was lighter some how. Like he had been carrying a heavy pack on his shoulders so long that he’d forgotten it was there, and then somebody came and took it off of him. But at the back of his mind, there was a doubt gnawing at him. Until last night, he had never suspected that Coriola might have had feelings for him. Sure, now it made sense and he felt stupid for missing the signs, but he hadn’t been expecting it. And he wasn’t sure he could feel that way about her. Well, I could, but should I be doing it so soon after Angel’s death? Am I betraying her memory by being with Coriola? Do I even want to be with Coriola? She obviously feels something, and the last thing I want to do is hurt her-- What the hell am I thinking? Am I actually complaining that a cute girl is in love with me? But then, everyone I’ve ever gotten close to dies, does that mean she’s next? Silas continued loading fuel and supplies into the OPOS. That morning he had told the Astropath Primus that he wouldn’t be needing to send or receive any more messages, and he almost thought the old man would feint with relief. Spirits were generally high. Barkus was eager to get back to Mandragora, even if only for a few trips, Coriola looked like she was high on a cloud, and Pious was just now stomping around the corner with a face that told Silas he should start running. “Where exactly do you think you're going?” Pious didn’t stammer or hesitate, his irritation clear; rare that it was, when Pious was irate, his tone alone could stop a bull-grox on the charge. Silas wasn’t anything like a bull-grox. He was more stubborn. “To Miranda Fields. They need help with the evac, and I aim to provide it.” Pious looked square into Silas’ dark eyes. “And how did you intend to make this little trip of yours?” “I’m not gunna drive General Shou out of his way if that’s what you’re so worked up about. I’m just taking the OPOS.” “The Ascendant,” Pious corrected, no longer in the mood to side step the particularities. “Is under my ownership. Did you think to deprive me of what is mine, Silas?” “Last I checked,” said Silas, realizing the kind of war he was about to jump into “You’re the one who stole her from me, so the question of who is depriving who gets a little fuzzy.” “You try my patience today,” Pious warned. “The Ascendant was seized by the jurisdiction of the Inquisition during a sanctioned raid. It’s reconstruction and refitting was operated on by the Inquisition to further the agendas of the Ordos; a task that I may add took months of laborious works by the adepts of the Machine Cult, brilliant minds that were not easily swayed to set aside their own projects to work on such an unorthodox module. Your association with the runners who once built this does not grant you an inherent claim on it.” “Association with the runners who built it?” Silas looked from Pious, to Coriola who was standing back nervously, then to the OPOS, then back to Pious “She hasn’t told you? I’m the one who built it. From the keel up. Every rivet that was in her when you took her? I drove every single one. I wielded her hull. I designed her engines. I invented the micro emitters that power her gellar field. There wasn't a single bit in her that I didn't put there. I poured 16 years of blood, sweat, and more blood into that ship.” Silas scowled, turned, ran his hand through his hair, and faced his creation. He knew what he had to do, but that didn’t make it any easier. He walked over to the ship, put his hand on her hull. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and for the first time in his life, Silas let go. “Fine.” he whispered. “Fine?” Pious raised a brow suspiciously. He could hardly believe Silas’ claim was true. How could a man barely passed his second decade of life have built such a warp capable craft when the adepts of Mars itself were the only masters capable of such things. Nonetheless, Silas’ unexpected turn threw the old man off guard. Coriola had in the interim closed the gap between them, approaching softly with a look set on Silas, as if she hung on his next words. “I said fine. She’s the best damn ship in the ‘verse, but she’s just a ship. I owe you my life, and that’s what she is. So take her. I built one, I can build another. Barkus! pull that fuel line, stop prepping. Then meet me down in Hangar 2, they got some bits down there they won’t mind us sifting through.” “What?” the wok waddled across the top of the ship and looked down at him. “We really doing this?” “Well, I am, not sure if you want to or not.” Silas turned to Mengala and gave him a friendly look “Treat her right for me OK? And if the port-side compression core starts knocking, just give it a bit of lube and kick it a few times. Never could get it to set right.” As Silas walked away from the ship, he caught Coriola, cradling the sides of her face in his hands, and planted a big kiss on her forehead. “Thank you.” he said, and then continued out of the bay. ***** Hanger 2 had plenty of junk to pick from, but the thing that caught his attention the most was the hulk of an old Aegis 234 Monstro salvager. It was mostly just a skeleton, the core and main powerplants were out, but Silas was pretty sure he could get them running, and the inner and outer frames were mostly intact. But the thing was almost 3 times the size of the OPOS. Just getting it skinned and pressurized would be a nightmare. But at least this time he had a frame to start from, the OPOS he’d had to make from scratch. As it was the deck chief had been planning to chop it down for scrap, or just space it, and he gave Silas a look one might give a lunatic when he’d offered to take it off his hands. Didn’t stop the man from fleecing him for almost all his remaining Kys though. At first the deck crews just laughed at them, Silas and Barkus, two guys trying to rebuild an entire ship with nothing but the scrap that the “real” engineers and tech priests didn’t want. Then, on the second day, Someone asked Barkus “Do you think you can actually pull it off?” Barkus smirked, took a drag from his cheroot, and said “That brat’s made a career out of doing the impossible. 5 Keys says she flies in 20 days.” On the 3rd day, a blackboard went up on the wall to keep track of all the bets. By the end of the fourth day, there were 10 blackboards. It was rumored even General Shou himself had put in a sizable wager under a pseudonym. On the 6th day, the inner hull went up. On the 7th, the outer hull was pressurized. Silas began taking what meals Coriola could convince him to eat in the ship. When he slept, it was over a drawing board with schematics and stress tolerance figures scrawled on it. Day 10 saw the reactor core and water recycling system installed. On day 11, the RCS thrusters were test fired. On day 15, the ship lifted off of the deck under it’s own power, and Barkus became a very wealthy wok. It took 3 more days to iron out all the kinks in the avionics and guidance systems, and 2 more days to get the interior of the craft livable as a long-term home. Silas was actually excited that he was getting a full captain’s cabin in this ship. In the OPOS all he’d had was a bunk in an alcove of the the neck corridor. The only thing that was left to test was the warp core. Silas had built it using the specs he’d memorized from the Dark Age ship on the colony planet, and he was positive that he’d gotten it right on paper, but there was still a lot of concern from the others. That didn’t stop Pious from coming to see the now famous “miracle ship” first hand. “This is quite impressive,” Pious announced on the last day, approaching Silas with a slow gait. He didn’t seem happy, but neither did he seem upset. “You don’t have to go you know,” He said in a hush tone. “Your people keeping you updated on what’s happening in the Black?” Silas said. He didn’t look up at the man, keeping his eyes on his work checking the aft heat sink. “Yes,” Pious said simply. “There’s been some unfortunate news coming from my contacts. Open rebellions of course, which was to be expected,” Pious said with a grump. “But more startling is the way several rogue traders have been rallying to the black’s defense. Some have claimed an infringement upon their manifest rights! Ludicrous, I have to say, but ultimately leading to more severe aggression. All spurred by the call of a woman called Ibra.” “So you know the score. That means you know that I absolutely have to go. Look, I’m not a complete ingrate. I Know that I owe you for all you’ve done these past few months. I’m willing to help you with whatever it is you are planning, but I need to get my own house in order first. My family is at war. I’ll be back in a week or so. If what I have planned works out, we’ll have a base of operations for the new Run, and you’ll be welcome if you ever need a place to lay low. I’m coming back. Trust me.” “I do trust you, Silas, despite what you may think of me,” Pious said. He frowned a bit. “I do not trust the military arm of the Imperium so much,” Pious moved, shifting his weight uncomfortably. “The Dragon Knights of the Adeptus Astartes have declared a Crusade of Retribution on the Black Run. I fear for you. Please do not cross paths with their kind. They will not be...forgiving in any way, even with my pull I cannot protect you from their wroth.” “Konstodea furgnea.” Silas said, finishing his work and standing up to face the old man. “What does that mean?” Pious inquired. “Konstod is what we call the Astartes on the Black. It means ‘Canned Death’. Konstodea Furgnea: The Konstods never forgive. I have absolutely zero intention of picking a fight. Well, I guess as far as they are concerned I already did with that message, but I can’t do anything about that now.” Silas looked Pious in the eye, “Look, I need to ask your advice. It’s about Coriola.” To that, Pious squinted in mild confusion. “Coriola? What about her?” “Well, you know her better than I do, I would have thought she told you about it.” Silas braced himself. “Look, a few weeks back, she and I were talking, and then she got all weird, trying to get me to open up to her I guess. Then she kissed me.” Pious frowned at that. “It is not the place of an Imperial servant to indulge in selfish pleasures,” he grumped. He seemed really like the old man he often pretended to be. “Make nothing of it, she has her place assigned. Nothing good will come out of encouraging that Silas.” OK, that’s fracking harsh. Is he really going to crack down on her for acting like a human being? “Look, I don’t think it’s her being selfish. You didn’t hear the way she was talking. She was trying to be there for me. And to tell you the truth, I’m happy she was trying. I’m not asking for your blessing or anything. What I am asking is for you to help me understand where the hell this came from.” “She’s a diviner,” Pious explained. “More than that, she can see into someone’s destiny, their very essence. Whatever she feels can simply be drawn to a connection she’s felt, some mild form of obsession. Psykers do not feel the same way we do Silas.” His tone was completely derogatory when he nearly sneered the word psyker. Silas decided that he was completely lost with this man. One moment Pious was a good man, the next he was in the running for the universe’s biggest asshole. “So what,” Silas confronted him “Are you saying she’s not human, that she doesn’t have a soul or she’s somehow less of a person then you or me? I’ve known psykers, hell the man who raised me was a Navigator. So you can’t tell me she doesn’t have feelings.” “She’s a mutant, Silas,” Pious explained as if to a child. “I won’t condone your beliefs that her role is any more than a tool to be used, but if you wish to encourage her on then do so. Sleep with her if you feel the urge. But her place is in service to the Emperor, and when he is done with her she shall be replaced as easily as you or I would replace a belt or holster strapping.” Now Silas was getting pissed. “So what the frack if she’s a mutant?” He pulled down his lower eyelid, exposing the black orb more fully “So am I.” “Silas, I don’t expect you to understand this,” Pious replied, annoyance on his tongue. “But you are well within acceptable parameters and genetic deviation patterns, as Yvonne indicated on your datafex. She is not - she is anathema to the purity of the human genome. Where your eyes are an adaptation, hers is cursing of the warp made manifest in a once purified stock.” Silas really had not taken Pious for the type to put such stock in genetic purity. This little nugget of information had really shown how much of the Imperial Creed remained in this otherwise modest and more often logical man. “And here I remember you talking about just how idiotic that kind of dogma is.” Pious scoffed. “Dogma is idiotic. But, I confess, we are products of our upbringing, and we all have our faults. Let us not delve too much further into this, and just know that while I have my own peculiarities, I have always shown favor towards Coriola. I may not accept her fully, but I trust in her enough to perform her job. I ask you only to respect her station, and her mission.” Silas forced himself to calm down. I will never understand these people.“The question I was going to ask you, before that little ideological clash. I would like Coriola to come with me on this trip. I know she’s your subordinate, but as far as I can tell, the only reason you even brought her on is because of her history with me. Have her tag along, keep an eye on me, and maybe her and I can figure out whatever the frack there is between us before it spirals out of control.” Silas grinned pridefully “Hell, you can come too if you want. It’s gonna be a helluva show.” “There are many tasks I must see to,” Pious said, with a long sigh. He waved Silas. “Go, take her with you. Return when you are finished, I ask that of you. Take with you my name, and use it where you need it. Just come back.” With that said, Pious nodded, and placed in Silas’ hand a small ring. It had a Falcon engraved upon it, and the old man simply said, “Use this if you need my assistance, no matter where you go.” Silas nodded. He walked over to the current work bench, retrieved a dataslate, and handed it to Pious “And what is this?” Asked the old man, his tone indicating he was growing weary of the conversation. “That’s the coordinates I’ll be meeting you at. It’s on Shou’s course, so you aren't going out of your way. Just be there in 2 weeks, and have a picter ready. If everything goes right, you’ll see something you’ll want to tell your grandchildren about.” Mengala looked confused, but pocketed the dataslate none the less. As he turned to go, he took one last look at the interior of the ship. “She is impressive. I admit I didn’t believe you when you said you were the one who built the Ascendant, but now...Have you named her yet?” “I have.” Silas said. “I usually don’t go in for fancy titles, but I made an exception for her. She’s the Crow Winged Angel.” ***** 2 days. The Crow Winged Angel made the warp Transit to Miranda Fields in just 2 days. Apparently, Silas had gotten the Dark Age drive right after all. Coriola had seemed excited to be going on the trip, and Barkus and Silas were glad that they weren’t the only ones on board the large, new ship. Well, by imperial standards it was little more than a mosquito, not even as large as some of their fighter variants, but to two Runners who were used to half-weight gun cutters and 3 man yachts, the Angel might as well have been a flying mansion. On the second day, a few hours before realspace reentry, Silas took the opportunity of one of Barkus’s smoking breaks to call Coriola up to the cockpit. If one could really call it a cockpit, it was more of a Bridge or a CIC then a room dedicated simply to flying the craft. “You needed something?” she asked nervously as she entered. Silas motioned to the co-pilot seat. “Have a seat. I need to talk to you.” Coriola looked confused at that, and nodded. “What is it?” Silas took a breath. “I uh, I told Pious about what happened the other week. When you came to my quarters. Don’t be mad, I just didn’t know what else to do. We had a...heated discussion.” Another pause. “He basically told me to end it. I asked for you to come on this trip so we could find out what ‘it’ is. I’m on your side here, but I have to know where that side is coming from.” Coriola seemed distressed. “What more is there to say?” She turned a bit. “I don’t know why he would say that either…” “Well, it seemed to have something to do with ‘bwah, psykers are mutants, bwah. She can’t really feel that way, ecclesiarchy bullshit, bwah’.” Silas we trying to lighten the mood with the impersonation. “I honestly didn’t expect to hear that kind of shit from him. I told him you had the right to think or feel whatever you wanted. I just want to make sure we are on the same page here.” “Silas,” Coriola moaned. “I’ve grown up with it most of my life. I’m used to that view,” She paused. Then slumped in the chair. “I don’t know what we have. I know I like you. Is there anything more to it than that?” “Well, there’s a lot more to it. I am probably the most dangerous person in two sectors for you to be around. The imperium doesn’t tolerate guys like me, you said it yourself. People around me die. Plain and simple. I barely know you, Coriola, but I would like to. I would like to love you. But I don’t want you to end up like all the other people I’ve loved.” Silas took another breath. “I’m asking you what you want. It’s your choice, but they will also be your consequences.” “I want you,” Coriola blurted out, then grew flushed in the face. She paused, recalling words spoken to her a long time ago. “I’m just afraid…” She could tell him, tell him everything. About the words Ashetara had spoken to her. Or the converging strands of fate drawing him to his shadowpoint. Another force would approach, and two destinies would become one. The fear that she may lose him...ate away at her constantly. Silas stood, then knelt down beside her chair. He tried to make his voice calm, reassuring as he took her hand in his. “What are you afraid of. I levelled with you, now it’s your turn.” Coriola put her hand on his cheek. She looked him in his eyes. That distant, foggy look were in hers. Watery...a tear forming on the edges of both. “I’ve seen your life, and I can see your death at times. There is a man coming for you. He brings with him fire and death everywhere he goes, cutting a path across the galaxy itself to find you. I don’t...I don’t know who will come out alive.” Silas smiled. “Neither do I. I can’t see the future. I wake up every day not knowing if it will be my last. That’s what makes life so fun. This man you say you see, I think I’ve met him. If it comes down to me and him, it will be a good enough fight that I won’t mind if it kills me.” “You believe so?” Silas hugged her tightly and gently. He kissed her forehead. “Destiny isn’t set in stone. And if it is, then there’s no point worrying about it.” He held her for several minutes. When she seemed to have calmed down some, Silas got up and went back to his control chair. “Now, I want to show you something.” Before Coriola could ask what that was, the jump clock ticked down and the Crow Winged Angel lurched back into realspace. Then the Viewport blinds opened to reveal the stellar nursery of Miranda Fields. The massive cloud of cass and dust glowed blue with the light of Suns being born. And in the center, the size of a planet, was the ancient Ellipsis craft known as the Hub. ***** QiManSho met them on the landing pad. It had been interesting trying to explain who he was to the tower. (“Yes, I am the same Silas that sent out that message. No, I didn’t die in that jump at 624-VL. No, I’m not going to tell you how I did it.” etc) Nevertheless, when they had landed, the Klish engineer Silas had exchanged so many letters with was more than eager to meet them and get started on the work. “What exactly is it that you plan to do?” Coriola asked soon after discussion of the project had started. “This ship was built by an ancient machine race called the Ellipsis. They didn’t use the Warp for long distance travel. Instead, they used a technology called Shockpoint Conversion to move matter in instantaneous FTL bursts.” Silas explained. “And this ship has one of these devices?” “This Ship is one of those devices. The tech is so precisely integrated that you literally have to build the ships around it instead of putting it in the ship like a warp core. QiManSho here-” Silas gestured to the insectoid alien “Is the galaxy’s leading expert on the Ellipsis. He says it should be possible to reactivate the Shockpoint drive and jump the entire Hub. Should just take a few-” “Are you the guy?” A new voice cut Silas off. He turned to see a man in a uniform approaching him. The man was short, but powerfully built, with close cropped hair and a face that read ‘No Bullshit’ The markings on his coat identified him as the station’s Chief of Security. Hello, what are we doing out of the CIC? “Are you the guy?” The Chief repeated. “Are you this Silas I keep hearing about?” “I guess I am.” Silas said. The man extended his hand. “Jamery Corman. Chief of Security.” Silas shook his hand. The bastard had a grip like a power loader. Corman eyed Coriola and Barkus for a moment, then returned to Silas “Folks are rather torn about you. Some of them hail you like some kind of grand savior. Others cuss your name for poking the hornet’s nest. And a lot of them are just plain scared. But if half the stories they are telling about you are true, I’m willing to give you a shot.” Silas gave him a quizzical look. “That depends on what kind of stories they’re telling.” “Some say you brought the hell with you. Others disagree, no one really knows for sure. Hell, I’ve heard a few who swear you attacked the Imps first,” Jamery answered with a slight shrug. “I’d peg a bet that the truth is somewhere in between.” “Crate falls out off of a loader, you’ll hear 3 stories; yours, mine, and the crate’s. I could tell you my story, but it would just be another version of things you’ve already heard. I’m just here to do a job and try to help save this station. You know what it is we’re planning? QiManSho brief you?” Jamery’s face went from his permanent scowl to something a few levels higher. “Yeah I’ve been told. To be honest the only reason I signed off on it is because I saw the feeds from 624. I’ll take a suicidal plan over waiting for the Thud Monkeys to come after us any day.” “Glad to hear it.” said Silas. “Now, if you don’t mind, I need to go see what we’re working with.” ***** The SPC drive was one of the most complicated, convoluted, fragmented, unintelligible, ancient, and impossibly exacting machines Silas had ever seen. He loved it the moment he saw it. He fell into a routine. First he would wake up, rub the sleep out of his eyes, and strap on his makeshift leg. Then he would endure Coriola trying to force him to actually eat something besides recaff before heading off to meet with the team of engineers and machinists working on the drive. This would continue for anywhere from 15 to 20 hours until one of two things happened. Either his leg started acting up, forcing him to stop for a while, or Coriola managed to convince him to sleep. Then the cycle began again in a few hours. It wasn’t until the end of the first week after his pegleg actually gave out from under him, that he decided that the temporary part in temporary stopgap actually meant something. He took a day off to go down to the medical center to see about something more permanent. “I’ve been telling you since we docked with General Shou; You need a better leg then that thing you threw together in your room. I’m honestly surprised it lasted this long.” Coriola said as she steared the rental groundcare through the commercial districts of the Hub. “I never had time to make something better, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to let the Ad-Mech put anymore of their junk in me. I already got a kidney to worry about crapping out on me.” Silas was slightly dejected. He hated having to acknowledge his disability. He hated worse being forced to spend precious time -time that could be spent helping the Run- on dealing with his own problems. Coriola pulled the ground car to a stop in front of the humanoid clinic. She gave Silas a soft look. “I Know you’d rather be working right now, but you’re no good to these people as a cripple. Let’s just talk to the Chirurgeon and then I promise you can get back to work. Please?” Silas sighed, returned her soft smile, and opened his door. “Let’s go then. Oh, and uh, don’t call them chirurgeons. It’s medicals. or doctors. I know, little nitpick, but you’ve got to remember you’re not in the Imperium anymore.” “Medicals. OK.” She said as she came around the car and he mounted his crutch. As she put her hand on his shoulder to steady him, he rested his free hand on hers gently. “Thank you.” he said, and the two of they started to the door. The doctor, one Rotland Mallory, took several minutes measuring Silas’s legs, hips, and back. Then he took a mold of the stump where his shin ended and returned with an assortment of prosthetics. Some were mechanical, others were full cybernetics that would need to be surgically implanted. It took Silas a while to explain that he didn’t want anything with powered motors, just a simple, non electrical apparatus. And in 3 hours, he walked out on a flex-spring foot with Coriola beside him. When he had asked Mallory about payment for the new limb, the man had replied “I know who you are son, and if you manage to do what you say you are doing, that will be payment enough.” *****