Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Signal Fires

I have been invited to run a game for Aethercon IV, this oncoming November 13 - 15, and I have chosen to run The One Ring Role-Playing Game, by Cubicle 7. I already have a page-and-a-quarter of synopses and notes for this game. It is supposed to be designed as a short adventure, something to take care of within four to five hours, and that is how I am developing this. My general gamer's codex begins at the age of eleven, when I played Original Dungeons & Dragons with a bunch of other kids in the Library of my Middle School in Elko, Nevada. Then, in 1984, I picked up my first box set of BattleTech and have played that almost ceaselessly, since. Then, while in college, I took up role-playing with GURPS and several Palladium Games, including Beyond the Supernatural, Robotech, and more. In 2003, I began a Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play-by-Forum game, six of the original players having stuck with the game off and on since, though we're looking to expand to Roll 20, soon. I've not had much opportunity to role-play since leaving for the Army in 1993, even though I've been out of it since March of 1999. Real life's just been very fun. If you want to know more, please take a look at my web site, <a href="http://www.wolvesau.net" rel="nofollow">http://www.wolvesau.net</a> . I will be developing eight characters for this adventure, three of which are pretty much mandatory for play, three more would be important to the story, though not absolutely necessary, and I am designing them each to be unique and fun. Not only do I have PDF character sheets for each of these PCs, but I have taken the time to construct a two or three page introduction, outline for the culture of the character, a cultural description, a listing of the traits for the character, and what they know of the world. It is not a requirement to read anything on these sheets, though it could be helpful to you for the sake of any role-playing you may perform. Finally, I have constructed a two-page breakdown of how many of the rules work for The One Ring. Those playing in my game will be welcome to keep their character, the character-information sheets, and the rules outline. I have also re-designed the GM Screen for the game, to actually be useful, and I will have those pages printed, laminated, and mounted over the greatly useless charts extant in the screen, now, so I will have at hand the books and page numbers and charts necessary to actually run the game. As I develop these things, and I learn more about how to run Roll 20, I will adjust the settings for the game in Roll 20, and anyone joining the game will be able to discuss with me the character they choose to play. Further information about the characters, anything you may need to know about the world background or history, the mechanics of the game, etc., will be forthcoming as I see the necessity to update, and/or as questions come up and I need to offer answers. This work may be slow in coming, so please be patient with me?
I have completed building characters for this adventure. Keep in mind, all of the work I've done for these characters, and for the rules short sheet, is available for you to keep and use after the adventure is over, and I will vouch for the construction of that character -though that is greatly unnecessary with way The One Ring characters are generated- if necessary with other LoreMasters. Keep in mind that only players participating in Aethercon IV will be allowed to select one of these characters, and it will be done on a first-come first-served basis. Please bear in mind you, as a player, should not take any of the following information as indicative of any location, task, or undertaking your Fellowship may encounter. I have generated these characters to be part of the world of Middle-earth, not for any specific purpose of the game, as if I were looking to play any character I might desire in this world. However, I have attempted to include some things in each of these characters one or more of you might find to be cool to play; such things are not expressed, here. If you desire to email me, <a href="mailto:tithenon@wolvesau.net" rel="nofollow">tithenon@wolvesau.net</a> , and ask questions, I will be more than happy to answer. Player : Character : Dalla (a young female Human) Culture : Men of the Lake Calling : Wanderer Traits : Clever, Folk-lore, Minstrelsy, Swimming and Willful Background : Restless Pupil Fellowship Focus : Arn, her younger Brother. A Story : Dalla has the heart and soul of an adventurer, the strength of mind and presence to be a real pain to her parents and those who would instruct her to become more than their station would, normally allow. In Lake-town, not known widely among more than the children, her name has still crossed the lips of the Captain of the Guard and several of his Guardsmen, and she is also not entirely unknown. Her Father, Lomund, and her Mother, Thorhild have tried all they could to provide for her a future that she is unwilling to take onto herself, though she has tried to do as they wish; unfortunately, her curiosity and adventurous spirit see a destiny that has nothing to do with any council or ruling body. Knowing she would reach her majority, soon, and be required to make a decision about her life, in a last-ditch effort to persuade her to a life of safety and prosperity, her parents agreed she should go with her Father on a combined trade and diplomatic trip. This would allow her to see the world beyond the borders protected by Dale and the Men of Esgaroth, the real-world, perhaps sating her adventure-seeking and pushing her in the right direction. Returning to Esgaroth on foot, after the ambush of the caravan, was not what anyone had in mind, though Dalla’s spirit was incensed, rather than dampened, and after reporting to the Master of Lake-town what had taken place, she immediately gathered her armor, weapons, and her Brother and moved to the Main Gate to go and fight for her Father. Being stopped, the Captain of the Guard explained to her the Master was requesting assistance from any who would be willing to move rapidly to do the same. She would be better off at home with her Mother, allowing those with more experience to perform the task at hand; however, Dalla would not be dissuaded, though she would agree to be a Guide for those who would accompany her.
Player : Character : Halfred Headstrong (a wayward male Hobbit) Culture : Hobbit of the Shire Calling : Wanderer Traits : Folk-lore, Merciful, Reckless, Smoking and Tunneling Background : Tookish Blood Fellowship Focus : Dalla, the young Lake-town girl who saw her Father taken by Wildermen. A Story : As if the Hobbit’s name did not give it away enough, it represents the truth of his nature, for he is certainly headstrong. Whether or not he has a pipe full of North-farthing weed, he is forever chewing, as if nervous about something, on the long pipe he owns. It is not nervousness, however, it is simple boredom, an eagerness to start again where he left off. His eagerness to explore has almost got the better of him, this time, however, when he accompanied a caravan having passed through the Shire to the Iron Hills, and then another from there to Dale. His goal has ever been to visit the Lonely Mountain; unfortunately, on this last leg of the journey, the caravan was waylaid, and he and the young Lake-town miss, Dalla, were left to disappear from the melee. Halfred is compassionate to this young woman, now, and doesn’t know how to tell her that he believes her Father died in the melee; this is partly true because it was a melee, absolute confusion and chaos, and partly because he fears the ire of one so bold, brave, and large. While Halfred is no coward, there’s really no reason to stir sleeping dogs, now, is there?
Player : Character : Arn (a male Human) Culture : Men of the Lake Calling : Treasure-hunter Traits : Adventurous, Burglary, Fishing, Nimble and Swimming Background : Legends Spring to Life. Fellowship Focus : Dalla, his Sister. A Story : Being only five-and-ten years of age, and being greatly influenced by adventures with his Sister, Dalla, Arn has already chosen the life he wishes to lead. Dalla believes Arn wants to be an adventurer, like her, seeking out new places, new cultures, and taking the world by storm. However, unbeknownst to her, Arn was privileged to see an exchange of gold, silver, and gems for various food and living items, fine wood and metal works traded with the Dwarves, and his heart was immediately sick with the sight of it. Ever since, he has desired more.Unknown to him, despite his love for Dalla, his mind has chosen for him to attend adventures, such as the upcoming one to track down and free, if possible, the caravan, all for the sake of accumulating treasure. Indeed, hidden in the lake is a chest tied under a gate he has built into the floor, and covered deftly by a rug, in the room he shares with Dalla, and he has already accumulated a few gold pieces ‘misplaced’ by wandering merchants. His Father, Lomund, and his Mother, Thorhild know Arn only as a minor town bully, a bold and adventurous type they have tried very much to control, as they have with Dalla, and all to no avail. They know nothing of the desires in his heart to accumulate treasure, though Mother is soon to find out, Arn suspects. Indeed, while the parents have worked tirelessly to control Dalla’s desire to wander, Arn has actually pushed her into exploring more, increasing the grief her parents share over her. Before the caravan and Dalla’s leaving him behind, they had been fighting much more than normal, siblings growing into adulthood and finding many new things to scrap about. Indeed, Dalla had ended the day with a black eye and busted lip the evening before she and their Father had gone away. Arn had begun to despise her, and all of the attention she was getting, simply because the parents wanted her to sit on the council, one day, and this caravan trip was proof of that. The truth, however, remained in the realm of the petty, simply because he wanted to go, as well. Unfortunately, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so the ancient axiom goes, and Arn has truly begun to miss spending time with his Sister, especially because her chores have become his during that time. He truly does love his Sister, despite the rivalry, and would go to very far lengths for her, and all members of their family; hence, the reason to travel with her to rescue Father. Arn stands, already, a head height above both Dalla and Thorhild, and is powerful in his limbs, much like the people of Dale, and he now stands with Dalla, having apologized for his actions weeks ago, ready to leave.
Player : Character : Aethrandir (a male Elf) Culture : Elves of Rivendell Calling : Warden Traits : Elven-lore, Fierce, Herb-lore, Shadow-lore and Swift Background : Vengeful Kin. Fellowship Focus : Faethandel, his Daughter. A Story : Aethrandir was born nearly six-hundred years ago, and grew up as a ward in the House of Elrond of Rivendell. His Father, Findir, was slain in a battle against Goblins and Orcs who had made the attempt to storm the Hidden Valley of Imladris through a rarely used and generally unseen gate. On repelling the invaders, Findir’s Captain ordered him and the other six who had not been slain to follow and dispatch the remaining greenskins; Findir did not return. Though it pained Aethrandir’s Mother, Nimrodel, to live through the pain of his death, the love and support received in Elrond’s house was enough that she remains alive and full of hope to this day. Elrond assigned Aethrandir to service, as an apprentice, with Erestor, who was asked to teach him all that was known about the world, thus far, including things typically forbidden. Elrond had seen the fate of Aethrandir, and knew he would become a major force for good, in the fight against the Shadow. When he learned all he could, he did not hesitate to strike out for the purpose of defeating the Shadow where he could. However, as he was leaving the Valley of Imladris, Lord Elrond bade him seek out further knowledge in the Great forest known as Greenwood. Knowledge the likes of which he had never seen would present itself, and he may even learn from the more dangerous and less wise Silvan Elves, there, means to defeat the Shadow by force of arms, if nothing else. Aethrandir immediately struck out for the place and, his first day there, met a Lieutenant in the Guard of the Woodland Realm, Miriel, whom he immediately fell in love with. He stayed in King Thranduil’s realm for many years woo’ing her, and finally was coupled with her and, within a year Faethandel was born. While her Father continued to study, she grew in her Mother’s confidence and training, learning both the ways of bow and sword, and those of her Father’s academic curiosity of the world. When Miriel was trampled to death, and eaten alive by the spiders of Mirkwood in the year 2714 of the Third Age, both Aethrandir and Faethandel, his Daughter, took it hard. Seeking the silver of the stars, and having learned everything he felt it was possible to learn in the realm, both set out for climes unknown, to explore their surroundings. With Faethandel versed well in the ways of combat, lore of the world, and athleticism, and Aethrandir with his forbidden knowledge of the Shadow, they have made the pact to serve one another, to bring about the end, as her Father’s dream had always been, of the influence of the Shadow.
Player : Character : Faethandel (a female Elf) Culture : Elves of Mirkwood Calling : Wanderer Traits : Clever, Fire-making, Folk-lore, Merry, and Woodwright Background : New Hope. Fellowship Focus : Aethrandir, her Father. A Story : Faethandel is a Silvan Elf by culture, but derived from the royal blood lines of the High Elves of the West; her Father, Aethrandir, was born in Rivendell nearly six-hundred years ago, but as he matured he began to wonder more about the world around him, the ever-growing presence of the Shadow, and what he might be able to learn, at Elrond’s right hand, to figure out ways to slow, if not stop the growth of that Shadow. When he learned all he could, he did not hesitate to strike out for the purpose of doing just that, defeating the Shadow where he could. However, as he was leaving the Valley of Imladris, Lord Elrond bade him seek out further knowledge in the Great forest known as Greenwood. Knowledge the likes of which he had never seen would present itself, and he may even learn from the more dangerous and less cautious Silvan Elves, there, means to defeat the Shadow by force of arms, if nothing else. Aethrandir immediately struck out for the place and, his first day there, met a Lieutenant in the Guard of the Woodland Realm, Miriel, whom he immediately fell in love with. He stayed in King Thranduil’s realm for many years woo’ing her, and finally was coupled with her and, within a year Faethandel was born. While her Father continued to study, she grew in her Mother’s confidence and training, learning both the ways of bow and sword, and those of her Father’s academic curiosity of the world. When Miriel was trampled to death, and eaten alive by the spiders of Mirkwood in the year 2714 of the Third Age, both she and Aethrandir took it hard. Seeking the silver of the stars, and having learned everything he felt it was possible to learn in the realm, both set out for climes unknown, to explore their surroundings. With Faethandel versed well in the ways of combat, lore of the world, and athleticism, and Aethrandir with his forbidden knowledge of the Shadow, they have made the pact to serve one another, to bring about the end, as her Father’s dream had always been, of the influence of the Shadow.
Player : Character : Farin, Son of Regin, Son of Hanar the Slayer (a male Dwarf) Culture : Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain Calling : Slayer Traits : Bold, Enemy-lore (Orcs), Fire-making, Robust and Tunneling Background : A Penetrating Gaze. Fellowship Focus : None, at present. A Story : With all of Farin’s immediate Kin slain, in all places between The Lonely Mountain and Moria, his Brother being the last to go, only a few years ago, he has had little choice but to wander. His ire is such that he seeks out the Shadow even among the Free People’s of Middle-earth, and he has become adept at being able to read the expressions of people, whether in their eyes, their faces, or their voices. He intends to root out all Shadow as quickly as his life will allow him to, until his candle is extinguished. He hides his grief at all of the continuous losses in his life through his Boldness, and does not present himself to anyone for any reason of mirth. This does not keep him from attending gatherings where such mirth might apply, but he is stolid and unmoved by any emotional creep that may wander near him. Before his death, Farin’s Brother, Borin gifted him the Dwarf-wrought Hauberk he now cherishes, and rarely takes off. He is particularly capable in the use of any axe to cross his path, and he can be seen practicing with it, often. Indeed, he was in the courtyard of the Gatehouse practicing when the Captain of the Guard bade him to go and see the Master of Lake-town. On arrival, he was pushed into service of a small company leaving to aid in the salvation of a lost caravan; this pleased Farin greatly –even without a smile or some other signification of joy– and he is ready, now, to defend these children, and all companions, against the onslaught of Shadow that may be present.
Player : Character : Avagisa (nickname: Shadow-seeker) (a female Human) Culture : Woodman of Wilderland Calling : Scholar Traits : Anduin-lore, Beast-lore, Just, Patient and Rhymes of Lore Background : Wizard's Pupil. Fellowship Focus : None, at present. A Story : Despite having no true reason to go on the adventure at hand, to rescue a caravan caught out in the woods, Avagisa happened to be wandering between the Bowmen’s Guild Hall and the Street of Bowyers and Fletchers when a great excited rush passed her by. The rumors she heard emitting from that crowd drew her attention and she followed, and now she has been asked to act as a Look-out for the company seeking the fallen caravan, and for possible survivors. Knowing her skills in the Wilderlands could aid the company greatly, she has volunteered to help. Besides, if what has happened is what she believes it is, that another lost tribe of Wildermen are seeking their way back to the world out of Shadow, then she would be able to facilitate their return.
Player : Character : Ketill of Dale (a male Human) Culture : Barding Calling : Scholar Traits : Adventurous, Hardy, Rhymes of Lore, Swimming and Trading Background : Healing Hands. Fellowship Focus : None, at present. A Story : Ketill wants little more than to be out in the world, not desirous, yet, to call any place home; he has not yet explored enough, found out enough about all of the cultures, sung enough songs from ages beyond, to find a place to call home. This is why he has joined sailing crew after sailing crew since he was old enough to heave massive ropes and sails; his heart has never been in Esgaroth, but everywhere else. Indeed, the only reason Ketill showed up when the Master called for volunteers to free the caravan survivors from the Wildermen, was to hone his skills, whether that would be through the use of his Great Bow, or by healing those found at the caravan’s end. Perhaps, some day in the far invisible future, he will slow down and find a place where he can store his books, play his songs, and enjoy all that surrounds him without further travels.