Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One Piece System Interest

I am posting to gauge interest in my project. I've been gaming since '96 and have tried out all kind of different systems but most of them fell short of my ideals in some facet or another. One day I decided that I wanted to stop complaining about that and just make my own system. It was right around that time that I had that I was musing about what a vast and deep world Oda had created and woven around the characters and story in One Piece and it struck me that it was an incredible setting for an PRG. I checked around and found badkarma's D20 game but didn't like it at all so I decided to start building my system. So for well over a year now I have been building my system in my spare time and running a game with it to test it along the way. I am not done and likely won't be for quite some time and I am not sure about what I will be able to do with it when I am done. I was making it just for me and my friends to begin with but its grown to be so big and so different from a lot of other things out there that I have lately considered that I might actually be able to get this thing published at some point, pending going through all of the legal channels of course. What I want to know is, if there would be any real interest in the community for something like this. Is there anyone out there that have tried badkarma's game and found it lacking? Or anyone that didn't even want to try it because they didn't like they way the rules read? Are there people that would be seriously interested in a One Piece System that was tailor made for the world? I would really love to hear from everyone who is inteseted in this idea. I am willing to answer most general questions but I might not want to get too specific about some things at this point. Suggetsions and ideas are of course welcome.
I Would like to say that i love the One Piece world and would love to play a system that fits the theme. i have not read over the D20 system but im willing to learn anything you can con up with.
This is one of the greatest things I have ever heard. I love One Piece, and an rpg set in that world is really cool.
Give me a message if you do this. Time im always free is thursdays. Any other day it is after 10pm -6 gmt
Thanks to all of you on your posts. Its good to know that there is a little interest out there for my project. Hopefully at some point in the future what I am working on will be accessable to anyone who might like to have fun with it.
One Peice, I've only just started watching it ( I mean seriously watching it.) It could be interesting, how would you handle Devil's Fruits for PCs (or other characters?) But color me interested.
Songtress said: One Peice, I've only just started watching it ( I mean seriously watching it.) It could be interesting, how would you handle Devil's Fruits for PCs (or other characters?) But color me interested. Very good question. There are a lot of things that are going into my system to help to cover the true scope of what I want to make available. I have Stats for different facets of character make up as all RPG systems have. Included in that for my One Piece system is a Devil Fruit Stat(DFS) that is derived from all of the other stats. The way that I have decided to go with this is what I think is represented by the show. Devil Fruits give you a certain power that can be manipulated. The true strength of that power lies in the user's understanding of the power and imagination. As Raoh said, "Any Tool is useful if you know how to use it." This is my reason for making the DFS out of all of the other stats because it represents how well the person is developed in other areas thusly representing how much they understand themselves. The Stat system that I am using is a D10 system meaning that all stats and difficulties range from 1 to 100 and you use the D10 and D100 to perform your tests. In this system for the DFS I am making it to where every 10 points represents a level of understanding. So a 33 score on your DFS means that that person is a level 3 Devil Fruit user. This is where it statrs to get a little tricky... and fun. A big part of One Piece, and a lot of anime in general, are Techniques. In gaming terms these would be special attacks or abilities that are not represented by a normal attack or a Feat or Talent or whatever you might want to call it. Techniques in One Piece are specialized and character specific. This is something that I have brought to my system. All PCs and NPCs can Techniques in their advancement scheme. You spend XP on them like you would anything else, the difference being that you purchase different levels of techniques as they become available to you and the amount of XP that you spend signifies how powerful the Technique could be. Once you spend the XP you create a Technique. This is done by consulting with your GM, telling them what you want to do and then you work together to create a Technique that is balanced and useful that is for your character specifically. Luffy's Pistol is a good example of a first level Technique while his Gatling Gun is more powerful. Now with Devil Fruits, I am choosing to run MY game in cannon so any Fruit that is already in the show or manga is off the table. Other fruits idea are welcome though. For my PC characters in my game I actually created a list of fruits myself and allowed them to roll to determine what type and specifically what kind they got as I don't think a player should get to choose his fruit unless you do a story arch where you go hunting for a specific one and get the fruit at the end as a reward. Other GMs might want to handle this differently but in either case it is up to the GM to determine the basic rules for the fruit, what it can and can not do, lay them out for the player in a very minimalist format and then leave it to the player to figure the fruit out for themselves. They ask me "can I do this?" and I tell them yes or no. They have to learn about it and as they gain understanding of its workings then they start to get ideas for techniques. I feel like this is really important because one person would use the same fruit in possibly two completely different ways. I don't think its right to imprint my ideas about a Fruit's usage on my players' characters. Basically, all the Devil Fruits do is give you access to a set of skills that a person wouldn't normally have. Everyone can purchase Techniques in my system but if you have a Devil Fruit you have more to work with. A lot of this working hinges on the GM being fair and open minded and the players being creative. I have components set in place as well to keep things from getting out of hand. For example; every character has a Stamina score and Techniques almost always cost Stamina to use. That way you can't spam powerful attacks. Some Fruits have powers that sometimes don't cost any stamina as well. Luffy's elasticity and resistance to blunt attack are are good examples of persistent abilities that don't require any effort on his part and in turn wouldn't cost any Stamina. Where his Pistol might cost him 1 or 2 Stamina to use and his Gatling Gun 3 or 4. Then, as characters level up their Stat, representing a better understanding of their powers, they become easier to use. So later in the series as Luffy increases his abilities (leveling up his DFS) the lower level abilities from earlier cost less. So The Pistol attack might become a Stamina cost of 0 Technique eventually as the level of the DFS increases. I hope that was an adequate explanation with out me being too rambly. I know its a long response but I have been working on my system for a long time and have put a lot of thought into it. Feed back is always appreciated.
Additionally if anyone lives near Lexington SC and would be interested in possibly joining our test game we are very selectively screening for an additional player. PM me if you are interested.