Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

request: D&D 5e character creation random roll chat script.

I've played a couple of games of 5e and a few of them had people using a chat skript that rolled for the starts such as rolling 4d6 4 times and then you could pick a set for stats, rolling for race etc. i saved it on my pc but it didnt make it over when i had to rebuild a new one. Does anyone know or could repost this script as it would aid me greatly in my character creations.

Edited 1436267703
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The only thing you'll need is macros (which are basically chat commands to do rolls of varying complexity). For your attributes i would recommend: [[{4d6}kh3]] That will roll 4d6 and only display the result of the 3 highest rolls. Depending on your creation rules you could also tell it to reroll on 1's: [[{4d6r1}kh3]] You could also prefix these rolls with the attribute name if you are rigid on your results: STR: [[{4d6r1}kh3]] etc etc To do it 4 times in one roll just run the macro four times [[{4d6}kh3]],[[{4d6}kh3]],[[{4d6}kh3]],[[{4d6}kh3]] If there are any other roll types you'd like advice for just ask but the wiki is a great resource, of great use is the dice reference page which details the different types of rolls available.
Thanks very much. I've seen a larger macros which will randomise everything from race to money so I was looking for that whole thing but your info is a big help in understanding what's going on.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For the most part those kind of rolls will be similar and compared to a table within the core text of the system (people may have set up the tables within the campaign themselves as rollable tables which would also allow quick randomisation but for a large amount of initial work for little benefit). For race simply count the number of available races and number them alphabetically then roll [[1d n ]] where n is the number of races :) Starting money is usually defined by class and can be done similar to the attributes ones above. For everything else it will likely be the result of a d100 roll against a predetermined table? For anything more specific just shout :)
To provide a Basic Rules example: &{template:default} {{name=Stat Generation}} {{STR:[[4d6dl1]]=**DEX:[[4d6dl1]]**}}{{CON:[[4d6dl1]]=**INT:[[4d6dl1]]**}} {{WIS:[[4d6dl1]]=**CHR:[[4d6dl1]]**}} &{template:default} {{name=Racial Bonus'}}{{Human=+[[1]]All}} {{Alt.Human=+[[1]]Two_Stats}} {{Hill Dwarf=+[[2]]Con +[[1]]Wis}}{{Mtn Dwarf=+[[2]]Con +[[2]]Str}} {{High Elf=+[[2]]Dex +[[1]]Int}}{{Wood Elf=+[[2]]Dex +[[1]]Wis}} {{L.Foot Halfling=+[[2]]Dex +[[1]]Chr}} {{Stout Halfling=+[[2]]Dex +[[1]]Con}}