Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any 'one off' training games?

I haven't played any Tabletop RPGs in nearly 30 years. Not really sure how many of these games are played anymore. Especially in a "virtual" setting. So it would be helpful to me (and others i'm sure) if there was a simple, one-episode campaign (?) that just introduces new (and recently returned) players exactly how to set up character sheets, walks them through the game dynamics and gives them a brief overview of character interactions through this medium. Do we have anything like that? If not, is anyone able to run something up like that quickly? When I ran as GM/DM back in the 1980s and early 90's, I always has a very simple Level 1 scenario that I used to help new players acclimate to the game, my GM style, and whet their appetite for a bigger/better campaign!
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Have you watched the video tutorials linked through the Roll 20 Documentation on the wiki? <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Getting_Started_GMs" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Getting_Started_GMs</a> I found them useful when I started last year.
they deal mostly with the GM side, and use words I've no idea what mean...like "homebrew" and "macros"...when I say I'm olde schoole...I'm Ye Olde Schoole!
Wendon P. said: they deal mostly with the GM side, and use words I've no idea what mean...like "homebrew" and "macros"...when I say I'm olde schoole...I'm Ye Olde Schoole! Homebrew is... a general term. It can mean multiple things. The general term is used to cover settings or adventures. Like if you are using something that you made, its homebrew'd. Like say you had a continent called Wendonia, with a King Wendon and there are adventurers there. This would be considered a 'homebrewed' setting. You could also have homebrew rules. Say I am running a game where the players roll 6 dice (all d6) take the total they roll and compare it to the day of the month they were born to see if they succeed on a task, that would be a 'homebrewed' system. Or at least thats what I think of Homebrew.

Edited 1437273319
Greg
Pro
Occasionally beginners can find a DM/GM here to run a game similar to what you're describing. But I think the players have to do the recruiting. I don't know that there are many DMs or GMs running sessions like this. I have thought about running occasional beginner sessions as a service to the Roll20 community, but I don't know that I really have the time to do it with any regularity. If there is a gaming store near you, I would look into D&D Encounters. This is an ongoing program that is designed for beginners or people returning to D&D, and there is usually a session once per week at your local gaming store. New players can join any of these sessions, and there is a DM and often other players to help them along with creating characters, learning the rules, and playing an adventure.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Wendon and welcome to the site. There are a variety of systems so you might want to clarify what system you are interested in relearning (by your references I'm going out on a branch and say D&D). One shots do happen randomly here so you have to keep an eye open to catch them. I sometimes run improv text chat games with a rules lite system that is very narrative in nature. I'm old school also (started gaming back in 83ish) so I know how it feels. Homebrewed is mostly about the use of non-commercial material such as house rules, original settings that the GM created all on their own (with or without input from their players), and/or original rule system they thought up and wanted to try out. Before TSR was created, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk settings was considered homebrewed but then when the company was created and they started publishing the material it became canon. Back to the original question. Just keep an eye on the forums, search the Looking for Group listings (blue banner at the top), check out the roll20 g+communities, and the roll20 reddit community. There are other sites you can look around at but those mention should give you enough to sift through and find one shots.
thanks for all the replies! When I left RL tabletop gaming, I got involved in the text heavy alt.rpgs (the old bulletin board games from the early interwebs in the 90s, so I love to text RP as well. Would love to do some of that with you and a couple of others if there's a call for it. I'm moving soon (read end of this month) and am not sure there's a game shop or comic shop where I'm going (I hope there is) but I will certainly look into those Encounter sessions! Thanks for all the great thoughts
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Saab S., I blanked your post because we strongly discourage open posting of join links, and encourage you to send them via Private Message instead, so you only get the people you intended. If you really want the whole world able to join your game and I've been over-zealous, just say so and your post will be un-blanked. :)
Oh, sorry. Did not know. My bad. I don't mind if they're able. It's meant to be more open. Although, I plan to make a forum post later. So, you can keep it blanked. Thanks for the kind warning x3.
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2204093/learn-5e-tonight-sunday-7-slash-19-slash-2015-7-00-pm-cst-session-for-new-players#post-2204803" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2204093/learn-5e-tonight-sunday-7-slash-19-slash-2015-7-00-pm-cst-session-for-new-players#post-2204803</a>
I have a recently implemented program to run one shots for people in EST friendly time zone new to 5e, or returning to D&D who want to play 5e. I run about one session every three weeks, Set in a sub-branch of my The Dying Lands 5th Edition D&D campaign. Two weeks ago, I ran one of these one shot adventures for a group of three who were a married couple and family friend , and it worked out well. So maybe something this week, if people express an interest. It is never the same scenario. I write these based on the characters that people generate.. I'm a true old skooler, note my Avatar, started with Traveller in 1977, Gamma World 1978, AD&D 1st edition in 1979. "Homebrew" is any scenario or campaign that is not bought from a store, I.e. you make it at home. The environment isn't really virtual, it's more like a whiteboard instead of a hexmap on a table. the minis are little digital icons, not real minis. plays the same, music and sound effects are a little bit easier to do. Welcome to the Community.
I am going to do a one shot next Thu 30 July 9 PM EST, set in my regular campaign the dying lands. I have just started recruiting for that one shot. If interested, let me know in a few days. I will be out tomorrow due to a minor eye surgery but will be back wednesday pretty sure.
that is the very date I will be loading up the uhaul and driving over 278 miles! ugh! But maybe after I get internet set up at the new place...I'll let you know.
Good luck, moving can be a challenge. I'll get with you in a future session.
I have an Arabic cultural flavor campaign One Shot set up as a part of a Narrative style gritty healing / resting series that is mostly intrigue / puzzle / skill challenges / roleplaying that will go next Wednesday at 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EDT 5th edition rules, I have one female player signed up, and a guy I've ran in a prior one shot. Looking for about 2 or 3 more players for this. Let me know if you're interested, Again, welcome to the community. Hope the move went well.