Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Pre-order D&D 2024 now and get an exclusive bonus, only on Roll20!
Create a free account

How would you go by making a hex map?

Grim G.
Plus
Sheet Author
it doesn't seem like the snap to grin function works well with the hex grid, how would you go about making a large world map?

Edited 1437775353
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Grim. You are correct that Snap To Grid does not snap to the Hex grid, but instead seems to snap to an underlying square grid. Other than the snapping issue, Hex grids work nicely. Wiki Docs with more info about grids and snapping, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid_.284.29" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid_.284.29</a> There are so many ways to make a large world map! &nbsp;I love that. Can you post a picture or link some sort of example of a world map that you like & want to create? &nbsp;Are you wanting to make a "hex crawl", or a globe, or a flat-looking global or continent map like the Mercator projection? There are just so many ways of doing it, starting with the choice of making the map in an external graphics program, or buying map elements and tiles from Roll20 marketplace, and/or assembling maps using graphics from the in-game search. Seeing an example of a Map that you want to emulate, I think I can provide more pointers then. I'm sure some other users will be coming along to answer as well.
Grim G.
Plus
Sheet Author
Gold said: Hi Grim. You are correct that Snap To Grid does not snap to the Hex grid, but instead seems to snap to an underlying square grid. Other than the snapping issue, Hex grids work nicely. Wiki Docs with more info about grids and snapping, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid_.284.29" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid_.284.29</a> There are so many ways to make a large world map! &nbsp;I love that. Can you post a picture or link some sort of example of a world map that you like & want to create? &nbsp;Are you wanting to make a "hex crawl", or a globe, or a flat-looking global or continent map like the Mercator projection? There are just so many ways of doing it, starting with the choice of making the map in an external graphics program, or buying map elements and tiles from Roll20 marketplace, and/or assembling maps using graphics from the in-game search. Seeing an example of a Map that you want to emulate, I think I can provide more pointers then. I'm sure some other users will be coming along to answer as well. all I'm looking to do is make a map that is maybe 20 miles at the most, I prefer drawing the environment by hand rather than importing pictures. It may make things look like doodles but at least it's consistent and has few restraints.

Edited 1437776981
Gold
Forum Champion
Very good. That should be one of the easiest ways. &nbsp;I would consider a 20-mile-map as being a regional map (like a county map) , it is technically not a World map and saves you from many of the issues in mapping a spherical round world globe like Earth size. &nbsp;An actual large world map would be more like&nbsp;200-Million miles, so take comfort, 20 miles is easier! I am happy to either try to describe some Settings and techniques to you here in forum text, OR, if you are interested, you can Start A Game, and invite me into it, and I will dialog with you in your game table to get your map started. &nbsp;Let me know which is better for you. Basically for what you described, I would recommend disabling the grid, make a blank canvas of the right settings and size. Put either the ocean (blue) or the ground (green or brown) to cover the entire background and then start painting geography on top of that using the freehand draw tool, or the polygon tool, for either Lines or Shapes with fills. Use roll20 drawing tools to draw your shapes/outlines (such as rivers and roads, coastline, mountain-hills or other features). Then turn the grid overlay on, with proper settings so that the measurement tool will match the scale that you want, and so that you'll have plenty of hexes within that canvas, to move around and play games on it.
Grim G.
Plus
Sheet Author
I've also tried using hexographer but it's outdated and i can't use it. I also don't know any other program that snaps to a hex grid
Grim G.
Plus
Sheet Author
Gold said: Very good. That should be one of the easiest ways. &nbsp;I would consider a 20-mile-map as being a regional map (like a county map) , it is technically not a World map and saves you from many of the issues in mapping a spherical round world globe like Earth size. &nbsp;An actual large world map would be more like&nbsp;200-Million miles, so take comfort, 20 miles is easier! I am happy to either try to describe some Settings and techniques to you here in forum text, OR, if you are interested, you can Start A Game, and invite me into it, and I will dialog with you in your game table to get your map started. &nbsp;Let me know which is better for you. Basically for what you described, I would recommend disabling the grid, make a blank canvas of the right settings and size. Put either the ocean (blue) or the ground (green or brown) to cover the entire background and then start painting geography on top of that using the freehand draw tool, or the polygon tool, for either Lines or Shapes with fills. Use roll20 drawing tools to draw your shapes/outlines (such as rivers and roads, coastline, mountain-hills or other features). Then turn the grid overlay on, with proper settings so that the measurement tool will match the scale that you want, and so that you'll have plenty of hexes within that canvas, to move around and play games on it. I understand what you're saying, I was hoping to have a hex grid as a guide line but I suppose this'll have to do
Gold
Forum Champion
You can keep the Hex Grid on for a guide and draw on top of it. &nbsp;The drawing tools will only snap to the hidden Square grid if you hold SHIFT while drawing. (Per the Wiki Docs linked in my first reply). Don't hold shift, and you can draw freehand over the hexes. So, you may start by creating a Page in your game, and do the Hex settings to what you want, for scale. Then proceed with my other advice, make a blue ocean background, or green grass, and then draw on top of that. If you have additional questions about how to go about that, or if you have any troubles, just ask again.

Edited 1437778783
Gold
Forum Champion
Once you draw some basic things with the drawing tool, like rivers or roads, or perhaps a green blob for a Forest.... I would highly recommend that you go into the Roll20 Art search. &nbsp;It contains both Marketplace (paid offerings of graphics within Roll20), and also access to FROM THE WEB search results which gives you graphics that you can drop on your page for free. Example: Draw a green blob shape with drawing tool for a Forest. Then go into Art Library Search and type "Trees" or "Forest", and change the drop-down menu between Tokens, Maps, and the "Everything" setting. &nbsp;Find a tree or forest-art that you like, and drag it from the Art Search onto your Map Layer, on top of the green blob. &nbsp;The green blob becomes your Forest borders and background, while the actual graphic of Trees makes it pop, and makes it recognizable as a forest at a glance. &nbsp;It can still be a very simple doodle-style map, but some small bits of free art From The Web can make it better. &nbsp;Since your map is 20 miles, this scale is possible to see the roofs of houses and such, so you can search for little icons for Houses or thatch roofs, barn, fence, foothills, cave entrance, or whatever details you want to add. Wiki Docs on using Art From The Web on your map, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Art_Library</a>