Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Virtual Dice Question.

This may be an odd question, possibly in the  wrong forum, please correct me if it is. Does any one know whether or not the locations where the virtual 3d dice land are random? I play a game that makes use of drop charts. I would like to scan them in and use them as back ground on Roll 20 and  roll the  virtual dice on top of them for results. I'm not sure this is the best approach. Any thoughts? Tip ? Tricks? -Mark.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
With the recent update the functionality to have players 'roll' their own dice by determining the direction and force of their 'throw'. I would assume that this would mean that random or at least influenced end positions are possible. I would highly recommend just going for it and having a play around to see if there are any issues with the expected behaviour.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The biggest issue will be that the location is n the frame of reference of the view, not the map. For example, if you have the map of your drop target perfectly centered, but one of your players has one square zoomed in, where the dice appear to land will be different to each of you. 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thats a great point i'd overlooked Aaron, thanks. A potential solution is to have all your players have a set zoom level and use the GM shift+ping to centre their screens accordingly and tell them not to move it afterwards. And of course, should their be arguments, the GM's word is final on pain of death disappointment.
Thank you Guys,  Aaron that's a great point. and Ziechael that's a good work around. I suppose I could try  what Ziechael suggested or I could be the  one who does the  rolling and reports the  results as I see them.  my  thought was to have a couple drop charts set as background in different "map" pages. and  move the  group to them as they were needed. That woudl require them to recenter / re zoom each time which  is a bit more than I want to do. Now I'm thinking I'll place two drop charts on one map pages set as different layers and hide/ show them as needed...  As was suggested, I don't loose anything for trying . Thank you both. I'll report back in with results .