Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D 5E] West Marches - Looking for a second DM

Hi there everyone. I’ve started a West Marches type game earlier this year, in April. For those of you unfamiliar, here’s the concept for the type of game West Marches is : <a href="http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-exp" rel="nofollow">http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-exp</a>... Meaning persistent world, ever-changing party of players taken from a pool of about 10-14 (in my case, 12 players at the moment). I started running the game as an experiment, to try something different from normal campaigns, and I won’t lie, it blew up beyond my expectations. Players immediately seemed to enjoy it more than any other campaign I’ve ran, and were always eager to play more. So the starting idea of playing once per week (meaning each of the 10-12 player would get to play once every three weeks give or take) was quickly thrown out of the window. Currently I’m running between 2 and 3 sessions every week, and while this seem to be enough to give every player enough playtime, it’s becoming too time consuming for me to do on my own. I LOVE the West Marches, and the players all seem to do as well, and I’d really hate to give it up, but if I don’t find someone to share the load with (as in, share the prep, and alternate DMs), I’m eventually going to have to. So here I am : I’m looking for someone to join me as a DM of the West Marches. The schedule of the game should be the least problematic thing for you, because the game (as opposed to normal campaigns) can happen any day you want it to. The only constraint is that the game usually starts around 7pm London Time, and lasts about 4 hours, but even that can change, as it’s up to the DM when the game happens. The players just apply to the game if they’re available (and I’ve NEVER had issues having not enough players for a session, usually I get at least twice the amount I need). The only thing needed from you, besides being familiar with being a DM in general, would be to be at least a bit familiar with D&D5e, because while I could teach you the system, it would be a LOT of information to swallow on top of the rules specific to the West Marches. Being already able to run a D&D5e game would make things a lot easier. To give you an idea of what has been accomplished so far, here’s a few (useless, but interesting) stats about the game : 41 sessions have been played over the course of the last 4 months. A total of 15 different players adventured at least once in the West Marches. 29 different characters adventured at least once in the West Marches. 16 characters died while adventuring in the West Marches. Only 3 of the starting 12 characters are still alive today. Currently, 14 adventurers are going out into the wild regularly. The furthest away an adventuring party ever got from the HUB city is 54 miles. The highest level adventurer in the West Marches is level 7. About 130 6 miles hexes have been mapped out by the adventurers. 11 months elapsed in-game time. So here you go. I hope someone out there will be willing to join me on this, because I’m in dire need of some help. If you have ANY questions, or if you need more information before you make your decisions, send me a PM on roll20, or add me on skype. (ultratigurius) We can talk at length about what the game is about, what has been accomplished so far (I keep track of EVERYTHING, quite literally), or what I'm expecting from you, and what you can expect from me. We can talk about all of this before you decide whether or not you're willing to join the adventure. Thanks for reading.
Bump.
If only it were 4th edition instead.
I'm actually very interested in this play style (I've never heard of it before). Please send me a PM to help me understand more about how this works and possibly help out. Thanks,
Im curious to thestyle but what time zone are you in?
Hi. This sounds great. I've stumbled across the West Marches campaign idea previously. Considering how it might run with my player group, I have a question. If each session is it's own discrete adventure within the landscape, how do you manage to wrap things up within the session time? Do they always make it back to the borderlands fortess town, or are some adventurers left in the wilderness until that group can adventure again? All the best.
Alex R said: Hi. This sounds great. I've stumbled across the West Marches campaign idea previously. Considering how it might run with my player group, I have a question. If each session is it's own discrete adventure within the landscape, how do you manage to wrap things up within the session time? Do they always make it back to the borderlands fortess town, or are some adventurers left in the wilderness until that group can adventure again? All the best. At the end of the session if the adventure they went on isn't over, they have to go back to the hub anyway. Whatever they achieved or changed in the world is permanent, so the next group, even if it doesn't have any of the previous players, can go back to the same spot, and find the place as the last group left it. Very often, a single player will only see a part of the total adventure, since he might start it, and then come back to finish it but it has been continued by other groups in between. This ends up with the players telling each others stories about the adventures they went on that the others didn't get to see. One of the core rule of the game is that players HAVE to be back in town by the end of the session (we have a 'fast travel' system at the end if needed), no exception to that rule. I just don't think of every session as a one shot in the traditional sense, but more of just one group of adventurers going out into the wild, and if they go to a place someone already went before, well, it's going to be different depending on what the previous group accomplished there.
Are you still looking for a co-gm? Do you have any players in the European time zones? I might be interested, I have run a hex-crawl based west-marches style for maybe half a year, but it became too much to handle alone on top of the other campaigns I run. But it would be fun to run a session now and then, I liked the concept. I also am quite interested how you do it, and how sharing gm job in a campaign like this would work. If you don't need a co-gm, maybe just some info & talk, to share experiences? PM me?