Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Update 7/16: Transmogrifier, Inline Rolls, 3D Dice Fixes, Rollable Tables for Everyone, and MORE!

We've got a nice big update for you today! Let's get right to it: The Transmogrifier This is a new tool that's currently available for Mentors on both the Dev and Main servers. It allows you to copy elements between in-progress campaigns quickly and easily, just by dragging and dropping. It's great for transferring that card deck you made to multiple campaigns, copying over a memorable character, or even transferring entire pages (including maps and tokens) between campaigns. More info is available on the Wiki . Inline Rolls This is a new feature which allows you to use a simple syntax to include the results of a dice roll in...well, almost anything: a chat message, a whisper, an emote, or even as a sub-roll inside of a normal dice roll. To use it, just do the following: [[2d6+5]] Where "2d6+5" is any valid dice expression (so anything you can do after /roll). Including variables, dice rolls, modifiers, labels, comments, etc. The special part about inline rolls is that rather than producing a giant roll result, instead it will just show the total of the roll. So for example you can do: While walking through the forest you take [[1d6]] damage! Which is just a normal chat message, but when you send it you'll see: While walking through the forest you take 6 damage! ...and you can also hover over the "6" to get more information on the roll. This is great to use if you want more compact roll results, or lots of roll results in a row. Note that you don't have to use the "/roll" with the inline rolls (and in fact you shouldn't unless you're going to do further rolling), you can just do it as part of a normal message. There's lots of advanced stuff you can do with this, for example: /roll [[1d6]]d20 Would roll e.g. 2d20, 4d20, etc., depending on the result of the inline roll. Try it out and let us know what you think! We've also documented it on the Wiki . Floor/Ceil Functions and Math-Only Rolls We've also introduced floor() and ceil() functions which you can use in your rolls (and inline rolls!) to round down/up. Useful for emulating mechanics such as "half your level, rounded down to the nearest level." An exmaple: /roll floor(7/2) + 2d6 Also note that you can now do math-only rolls, without needing to do the "0d1 + 5" workaround. Just "5+2" will work now. More info on the floor/ceil functions is available on the wiki as well . 3D Dice Crashes Fixed I'm pleased to report that we've solved the 3D Dice crashes in both Chrome and Firefox (they were memory leaks). You should now be able to use them to your heart's content, even if your game is 4 hours long. Yay! Also, even before when it was "working" it would regularly require 400 - 500 MB of extra memory to run the 3D Dice, now it should only require around 100 MB extra. So if it didn't work on your computer before, you might give it another try. Also, we've moved the 3D Dice from "Experimental Features" to the section with the other dice settings in the My Settings tab. Rollable Tables Now Available to All We've enabled the Rollable Tables feature (and dice tokens!) for everyone! So if you aren't a Supporter or Mentor and have been itching to give those a try, check out the information on the Wiki for info on how to get started . Clear Chat History There are now two ways to clear your chat history. A button on the My Settings tab called "Clear Current Chat Log" will clear all the current chat history from your own browser (but not affect anyone else's, and it will return if your reload). There's also a new button in the Campaign Details page called "Clear Chat History" which will PERMANENTLY erase ALL of your chat (including the archives) for your campaign. So feel free to take advantage of that if you just want to start fresh. On-Demand Page Loading We've gone back and further optimized the way that your games load. Now only non-archive pages will load in their data (images for tokens and maps, data regarding where everything goes, etc.). So when you first load up a Campaign that has lots of pages, it should load much more quickly. So be sure to archive pages that you aren't using to speed up your game! Miscellaneous You can now whisper to yourself (including doing /w gm if you are the GM). You can now copy the campaign's forum posts when you are using the Copy/Extend Campaign feature. [BUGFIX]: Can't select paths/drawings when zoomed out. [BUGFIX]: Players are able to resize groups of objects Thanks for reading and enjoy all the new goodies!
How does one use inline dice rolls with character attributes in macros? Edit: Just tested. This seems to work with character macros, but for player macros (the one in settings) it doesn't work when the GM references another player's attributes. Edit again: Nevermind - the particular player's particular attribute I was testing didn't fill in that attribute. Confirmed working. :)
I'm having problems clearing the chat history: When I click the button in campaign overview it comes back "General connectivity error. Please try again.", whereas the chat history always returns after deleting it in "My Settings" and restarting the campagin.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Clearing the chat history from inside the game is working correctly. Quote from above the notice above: "There are now two ways to clear your chat history. A button on the My Settings tab called "Clear Current Chat Log" will clear all the current chat history from your own browser (but not affect anyone else's, and it will return if your reload)." Regarding the Campaign Details connectivity error, I will let the Devs know. - Gauss
Gauss
Forum Champion
The Connectivity Error should now be fixed, please let me know if there are further issues. - Gauss
This is embarassing, but after about ten times it worked from the outside... EDIT: Oh, it was a fix. So it's not embarassing at all...
I got the same error before lunch, but it's working correctly for me now too.
Thanks for the tables.  I've already got the Torg bonus chart running for single rolls.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lunch? Im sure you brought me back some right? :D - Gauss
Is it possible to use inline rolling with rollable tables? The way I understand it, is that you take whatever the dice expression is, and you put two sets of brackets around it. For example: Normal /roll 1d6 Inline [[1d6]] From this, I take that we eliminate the /roll command and put two sets of brackets around the dice expression. However, when I try this with rollable tables, it doesn't work. Normal /roll 1t[Critical-Fail] Inline [[1t[Critical-Fail]]] The inline rolling should work with that, if it uses the same syntax as regular inline rolls. Either it has a different syntax, or it doesn't work at all. Anyone have any answers?
There's currently a bug where you have to put a space. Try [[1t[Critical-Fail] ]] And it should work.
You know what would be very nice is if on the inline rolls you could have the rolled number be Green for max roll and Red for minimum roll, just like the regular roller does. Food for thought...
Awesome, it works - thanks Riley.
Question - how would the inline rolls work with the API? I can't seem to get it to work.
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
James W. said: Question - how would the inline rolls work with the API? I can't seem to get it to work. They don't atm see the patch notes in the mentor forums.
They don't work with the api at the moment I believe.
That burns at my soul. It burns, and it hurts... but thank you. Also didn't see the notes on the forum....I'm blind today, apparently. Thank you, Alex!
Hooray! Many thanks for the inline rolls and clearing the chat! And the Transmogrifier sounds very promising!
When are we getting the ability to easily save chat archives as textfiles?
Proper rounding, inline rolls, AND math-only calculations?  You can whisper to yourself?  I love you so much.
This patch is saving me so much hassle. A few small changes and I'm now free of having to scroll to see my entire full attack, and the other players don't have to look at all my little notes of things to remember.
And p. said: This patch is saving me so much hassle. A few small changes and I'm now free of having to scroll to see my entire full attack, and the other players don't have to look at all my little notes of things to remember. Glad to hear it! :-)
All of my players have redone all of their macros to use the in-line method.  They think it's the shit, it's so much more compact and they can put it in the same line as an emote.
one drawback we have found is that you can't drag an InLine result to the initiative tracker